IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > ELDORA SPEEDWAY - 2023 - $1 MILLION To Win Wing Sprints. $$$
12/18/22, 1:01 PM   #21
Re: ELDORA SPEEDWAY - 2023 - $1 MILLION To Win Wing Sprints.
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
Im not mad they're having a big race. Im just saying there aren't many weekly tracks left that get full field. Even Ohio struggles unless it's a $$ race and then sometimes not so much. Last waynesfield all star race got 20
I still don't get your point
Why does a midweek Big $$ race detract from weekly shows?
Teams will see it as an incentive to practice, tune up & get better at their local tracks so they can win the big ones... there aren't that many on the schedule. Nobody can just sit around all summer, wait for the big races & expect to win. None of the "Chili Bowl Only" midget teams stand a chance at that event against guys who race all year....

12/18/22, 2:46 PM   #22
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead748 View Post
Have you been to waynesfield lately? That used to be one of the most exciting tracks to spectate at…. Not so much anymore. Idk if it’s the track prep or what but since they quit running weekly it’s not as good
No, I quit going when they started cutting the cushion off and just having rubbered down tracks.

Still I guess, better than not running at all. Think Mr. Shobe is done unless he can find a buyer.

1 member likes this post: motorhead748
12/18/22, 2:53 PM   #23
SoIllSprinter

The money for the racers is a great thing. I, like Charles am a bit concerned. Not with one race but with the set up of what is to occur. FLO seems to be the tail wagging the dog here. How will this affect races as we move into the future as far as scheduling is concerned? How many owners and drivers will skip the weekly races to make sure their drivers and cars health is at peak for the big money? Granted, there may be no issues with any of this and it may just end up being something positive for sprint car racing overall. Unintended consequences arise with every change, some positive and some negative. I suppose we shall see.

2 members like this post: flagboy55, motorhead748
12/18/22, 5:23 PM   #24
Kart#51

This race is nothing more than buying a lottery ticket. It probably won't happen again, but Tony can say he has the highest paying race in sprint car history. You knew he was going to do something, he has been trying for the last few years to have the highest paying race. He wasn't going to let Tod Quiring have that claim at Husets($250K to win).

The days of weekly racing having full fields is dying. Has been for quite some time and it has nothing to do with streaming. Its not just wing racing either, its non wing too(Did the Burg even have a full field for any show beyond USAC???, one maybe?).

When top tier outlaw teams are estimating the cost to be $10K every time they drop the trailer door, what does that tell you? Its a wealthy person's sport and the days of the do it yourself and at home garage motors is long gone. Racing has become a big time industry. Just think about where PRI started and where it is today...... That speaks volumes and tells you the little guys are gone or are in the back. Motor rebuilds are $10K after 10 races and that's if nothing broke. If something breaks its 15K or more depending on the damage.

If a top tier outlaw team is spending $10k every time they drop the trailer door, what is the top tier USAC teams spending nightly, $3-5K? There is no wonder why the non wing guys want to race for more money, benefits...etc.
Last edited by Kart#51; 12/18/22 at 5:28 PM.

12/18/22, 5:37 PM   #25
Charles Nungester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kart#51 View Post
This race is nothing more than buying a lottery ticket. It probably won't happen again, but Tony can say he has the highest paying race in sprint car history. You knew he was going to do something, he has been trying for the last few years to have the highest paying race. He wasn't going to let Tod Quiring have that claim at Husets($250K to win).

The days of weekly racing having full fields is dying. Has been for quite some time and it has nothing to do with streaming. Its not just wing racing either, its non wing too(Did the Burg even have a full field for any show beyond USAC???, one maybe?).

When top tier outlaw teams are estimating the cost to be $10K every time they drop the trailer door, what does that tell you? Its a wealthy person's sport and the days of the do it yourself and at home garage motors is long gone. Racing has become a big time industry. Just think about where PRI started and where it is today...... That speaks volumes and tells you the little guys are gone or are in the back. Motor rebuilds are $10K after 10 races and that's if nothing broke. If something breaks its 15K or more depending on the damage.

If a top tier outlaw team is spending $10k every time they drop the trailer door, what is the top tier USAC teams spending nightly, $3-5K? There is no wonder why the non wing guys want to race for more money, benefits...etc.
I agree about a 95% with you. Just look at a LM example. Florence, Burg and Brownstown are all within a hundred miles raced on the same night, and all had full field. Brownstown used to have a forty car average of LMs Florence thirty plus and Burg about 25. Now one of the tracks hasn't run LMs in years and the other two are alternating dates. Now even ten grand to win races for LM's sometimes don't get a full field.

What I am saying is that when people have the choice of seeing maybe six to ten shows in person all the stars will be at. Why bother going 15-20 times to the local track at all?
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 12/18/22 at 5:39 PM.

4 members like this post: flagboy55, Hustlin-Hoosier, motorhead748, PIT CART
12/18/22, 5:54 PM   #26
Kart#51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
I agree about a 95% with you. Just look at a LM example. Florence, Burg and Brownstown are all within a hundred miles raced on the same night, and all had full field. Brownstown used to have a forty car average of LMs Florence thirty plus and Burg about 25. Now one of the tracks hasn't run LMs in years and the other two are alternating dates. Now even ten grand to win races for LM's sometimes don't get a full field.

What I am saying is that when people have the choice of seeing maybe six to ten shows in person all the stars will be at. Why bother going 15-20 times to the local track at all?
I agree. The fight for the entertainment dollar is fierce and its only going to get worse. How many empty seats do you see at NBA, NFL and MLB. More isn't always better and now there are more choices to choose from. The tracks are getting squeezed hard in the macro picture as the dollar can only get split so many ways. I haven't been to a true weekly show in years. I go to big events because I have two very athletic and active kids that are go go go all summer. Something has to give, at the same time, FLO and DirtVision allow me to still watch what I'm passionate about when I get home on a Saturday night worn out from kids sports, which are brutally expensive if you do any travel clubs.
Last edited by Kart#51; 12/18/22 at 5:58 PM.

12/18/22, 6:07 PM   #27
flagboy55

I think this is good overall to bring more attention to the sport, and Tony getting his feather in his cap for the highest paying race. My biggest thoughts are if the Outlaws would grant their teams exemption for this one. I absolutely believe they will because it’s just a complete disservice to your teams to not let them complete in the biggest race in history. Couple other things come to mind. Curious who will officiate the event? My guess would probably be the Allstars but if I’m not mistaken the USAC gang did the High Limit at LPS. And a scenario we will never see but would love to would be running this race wingless. Just wonder how many of the big time wingers would step out of the shade and into the light for one million clams? One can only wonder

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, TQ29m
12/18/22, 6:31 PM   #28
BrentTFunk

I have said for years that we suffer from over saturation. When I was a kid weekly shows were between Mother's Day and Labor day. At the end of the year if a team had a good year, they would run a couple of special shows. Now you can run weekly from April to October.Tough for the small teams to run that many shows. I think that effects car counts more than a mid week $1million to win race.

2 members like this post: captrat, motorhead748
12/18/22, 7:11 PM   #29
Charles Nungester

My other point was Flo is putting all the $$ into thirteen events. . I don't know what the sanctions get but if it is indeed only a grand per show to tracks. That's a travisty. USAC and some other shows is what Speedshift started with. Sold to Flo. Now the sanctions and tracks that built it are suffering instead of gaining.

Then again, I see the draw of 500k Kyle Larson followers. Kyle's racing on Flo, That's good for 20-100k subscribers at 150 each.

1 member likes this post: Scott Daloisio
12/20/22, 8:07 PM   #30
EldoraMark

A buddy of mine went out to Eldora today to get his King Royal and the Million dollar race ticket. The reserved ticket for the Million was $80.00 if they get 20,000 people that would would be 1.6 Million. With consessions and camping and Flo I think Tony will make a profit.

2 members like this post: Ilovedirttrackracing, PIT CART
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > ELDORA SPEEDWAY - 2023 - $1 MILLION To Win Wing Sprints. $$$