IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Dayton speedway?
4/16/09, 3:00 PM   #11
Re: Dayton speedway?
fifthwheel

Duke, did you ever see the jalopies race at Frankie's Forest Park on the north side of Dayton?

4/16/09, 4:03 PM   #12
TommyTipover

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishBurger View Post
Oldtimer that I am, I also watched many great races there. My favorite might have been the Jan Opperman win in the Longhorn Racers (or somethin' like that) car. Until then I had thought of Opp as pretty much a "dirt only" guy, not that there is anything wrong with that. :wink Sonny Ates in the Iddings car was breathtakingly fast there. :eek:
Didn't Opperman also win a USAC Midget race there?

4/16/09, 6:32 PM   #13
SUPERDUKE
Banned

:applaud:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthwheel View Post
Duke, did you ever see the jalopies race at Frankie's Forest Park on the north side of Dayton?
YES MIDGETS AND ROADSTERS! IT WAS ON NORTH MAIN WHERE THE SHOPPING CENTER IS! THE ROLLER COASTER DIPPED INTO OF THE RACE TRACK!
Last edited by SUPERDUKE; 4/16/09 at 6:44 PM.

4/16/09, 6:33 PM   #14
SUPERDUKE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommytipover View Post
didn't opperman also win a usac midget race there?
yes he did on a sunday afternoon!

4/16/09, 10:51 PM   #15
Dusty Goggles

My first trip to Dayton I saw Pat O'Conner, Tom Cherry, Sam Skinner, Red Renner, Dick Frazier, Pat kirkwood and a lot Of the Mutual Roadster Association guys. Here is a photo I took with my trusty Kodak Brownie. Hope you enjoy
Dusty

4/17/09, 6:12 AM   #16
SUPERDUKE
Banned

Also see the pulfer garage 8 ball behind tom's 38 it was from port jefferson ohio bout 4 miles ne. From sidney on st rt 47

4/17/09, 6:22 AM   #17
SUPERDUKE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty goggles View Post
my first trip to dayton i saw pat o'conner, tom cherry, sam skinner, red renner, dick frazier, pat kirkwood and a lot of the mutual roadster association guys. Here is a photo i took with my trusty kodak brownie. Hope you enjoy
dusty
thanks how bout jim mcwhity roy prosser crash crocket avery mcadams zane howell bobby beeson smokey stover red amick bob stokes harold mowell evertt burton pete allen i can go on and on! Great racing!!!!!!!!!!

4/17/09, 9:31 AM   #18
RichH

Dayton was where I began to ruin my hearing, and it was well worth it!
Back in the day, the admission for a USAC show was $4. and for an extra $1. you got a reserved seat in the front two rows. This seemed well worth it to me as the stands were kind of shallow and you couldn't see the front stretch very well from furthur back.
Anyhow, I tried to be first in line to get one of those first row seats where they swung up so close to the wall I could almost touch the car. Besides, the stands had a tin roof back then and the sounds would reverberate as they blew by.
Races were generally on Sunday afternoons back then. When I went back into my summer job on Monday morning, some coworkers would ask how the races were. My answer--"great, my ears are still ringing!
See you at the 'Burg.
:greenflag:

4/17/09, 11:58 AM   #19
SteveE

Wasn't Orville Epperly, from the Dayton area? I believe he raced there but the accident he lost his leg in was at Winchester.

4/17/09, 12:14 PM   #20
SUPERDUKE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveE View Post
Wasn't Orville Epperly, from the Dayton area? I believe he raced there but the accident he lost his leg in was at Winchester.
YES HE LIVED IN DAYTON LIVED ON THE WEST SIDE! AT ONE TIME LATE 40S AND 50S A LOT OF DRIVERS LIVED THERE FROM SPIDER WEBB TO ELMER GEORGE! AND MOST HUNG OUT AT CHARLIE ENGLES BAR ON CINCINNATI ST!:checkered::applaud:

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Dayton speedway?