IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Race Track Locator: Historic
1/11/09, 11:27 AM   #61
Re: Race Track Locator: Historic
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadams17 View Post
With all the talk about the old Armscamp Speedway, I figured I would add a little bit since you can throw a rock on the front stretch from my front yard. The track was way before my time so I don't know a whole lot of details but I have been back there a few times plus my dad loved to talk about the place. The track was very similar to Anderson Speedway and it did have a inner track made for go karts and what not. Only have of the track remains anymore.

My grandpa used to be a chief mechanic on many cars when the track was still running and would run all the cars out of the "Adams Garage." This is where the tradition started at. I do not remember many drivers that drove for him at the time except for Lucian Adamson. I posted a picture from a feature win of the 1950 National Crown with Adamson and my grandfather along with a few pictures of the track from about 2 years ago.

As far as trespassing on the grounds, they do have signs up saying no trespassing. I don't know how strict this is for those of you coming to take pictures and I am not sure who would be the person to talk to either. The ground is now owned by more than just 1 person, and this is a reason why the track was never rebuilt. Not everyone could agree on one thing.

I am going to try and get more info on the track for everyone from a few older friends around. 90 year old race fans have seen a lot of races and race tracks! Shoot me an email when you guys head this way and we could possibly meet up.

Donnie Adams Jr. :checkered:
dbadams17@yahoo.com
Donnie,

Devin and I stopped by there yesterday afternoon and walked the property. It has been a number of years ago that I was there last. The track is overgrown in trees, weeds, etc. but the turn 3 & 4 area is still quite visable. The front stretch wall is intact and a couple of light towers still remain. The pavement is still in place over much of the track. Turns 1 & 2 are pretty much gone.

While I am an old geezer:O:, I didn't move to Indiana until 1973 so I also missed all of the action at Armscamp. I have a couple of friends that attended races there back in the day. They have relived some of the stories with me that was a regular happening. Someone else also had been there on the property recently. You could see boot marks in the snow so we weren't the only one's trespassing on the site.

I always enjoyed watching your dad race. I have seen you wheel :Steer a sprint car as well and I was wondering what your plans are for racing in 2009? I hope to see you back racing very soon.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

1/11/09, 2:32 PM   #62
champcar50

Years ago I raced at sweet owen speedway and I thought I might look at a satelite picture to see what remains. I could not find it can onyone help me remember exactly where it was or is there any informaion about it on the web or any pictures from there?
Thanks
Jack

2/11/09, 10:45 PM   #63
Tony74

I heard tell of a race track in Lafayette off of Hwy. 38 Apparently after the Tippecanoe county board banned racing, the track or pieces of it where moved to the current Kamp Speedway??
I know its not open wheel but interesting still.

2/12/09, 9:16 AM   #64
TQ29m

Just curious, maybe Wilkerson will remember, but the old race track at Columbus, along Clifty Creek, at the East edge of town, just off hiway 7, we always called it the "Pit", or the "Hole", and the name kinda fit, but I can remember some mighty good racing there, when the boys with F800 showed up, the race was bound to get interesting. I also raced there, while still in High School, in about 1953, had bought a "cherry", 1937 Ford 2dr, flatback, took a chisel and cut the fenders back to the bead, took out everything but the drivers seat, and "went racin"! Wish I had that one back, then, musta been early 60's, we raced Go-Karts there, at least once. I haven't been back there in years, probably 30 or so, it was famous for a lot of things, but the most interesting, was if you went off turn 3, you went in the creek, and a lot did. Probably some ole iron still there. Bob

2/15/09, 6:11 PM   #65
TQ29m

Butch, did this track have an "official" name, or was the "Pit" it? Bob

2/15/09, 6:36 PM   #66
nowings

Duke , my dad and i use to mushroom hunt at the old track . Right behind the old drive in theater , on Edison Road .

2/15/09, 10:21 PM   #67
SUPERDUKE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowings View Post
Duke , my dad and i use to mushroom hunt at the old track . Right behind the old drive in theater , on Edison Road .
DID YOU SEE ANY GHOST? I SEEN BIG CAR RACES THERE!:checkered:

2/16/09, 10:23 PM   #68
nowings

I'm going to get out to the track ,and try to get some pics of the track. There are still alot of tires out there .

2/16/09, 11:15 PM   #69
SUPERDUKE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowings View Post
i'm going to get out to the track ,and try to get some pics of the track. There are still alot of tires out there .
yes i've been there!!!!!!! The front wall was standing there a few years ago! I go in on the back strightaway thru the trailer park!

7/26/14, 12:08 PM   #70
zenas1924

Just a quick note about Ron Lemasters Jr's aricle about Armscamp Speedway in Open Wheel Magazine, November 1999 Issue, page 80 . . . it was very informative but for those of you looking east on St Rd 28 you never would have found it. The first sentence of the article, "If you know where to look north of Indiana Stated Road 28, and east of State Road 9, you can still see what remains of one of the foundations of open-wheel racing in the Midwest." Ron got you turned the wrong direction. Ask around and plenty of people know where the famous track was located. Dave

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Race Track Locator: Historic