IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Race Track Locator: Historic
1/7/09, 2:30 PM   #1
Race Track Locator: Historic

There was a thread on here several months ago showing satelite picture of old historic tracks in Indiana. Just wondering if anyone knows where that is or if it was linked to a site.

Someone was talking about Anderson Speedway haveing a sister track, back in the woods in a town somewhere around Anderson. I think i read about it on here.

1/7/09, 2:46 PM   #2
Re: Race Track Locator: Historic
#1Brad Kuhn Fan

There was a race track in Alexandria Indiana many years ago. It was called Armscamp.I've heard many stories about it. I was told it burnt down twice,After the 2nd time it burnt down they never rebiult it.Im not sure when it burnt.Im thinking maybe the earley 50's.But i could be way wrong.

1/7/09, 2:49 PM   #3
#1Brad Kuhn Fan

Hey, I found this on google.

Started as 1/5th dirt midget track. Highly popular. Built 1940-41. First race 7-12-4 Last race 1958 on concrete track. 1/5th dirt track turn can be noticed in the bottom of the infield of 1/4 mile concrete track

1/7/09, 3:08 PM   #4
#1Brad Kuhn Fan

Also Found this on google.
Last edited by #1Brad Kuhn Fan; 1/7/09 at 3:18 PM.

1/7/09, 3:23 PM   #5
SUPERDUKE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 767 View Post
There was a thread on here several months ago showing satelite picture of old historic tracks in Indiana. Just wondering if anyone knows where that is or if it was linked to a site.

Someone was talking about Anderson Speedway haveing a sister track, back in the woods in a town somewhere around Anderson. I think i read about it on here.
HALF OF THE TRACK IS STILL THERE! ABOUT A MILE WEST OF TOWN ON ST RT 28 NORTH SIDE BEHIND A TRUCK DOCK HIGH BANKED 1/4 PAVED TRACK!:checkered:

1/7/09, 3:42 PM   #6
Dyno Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERDUKE View Post
HALF OF THE TRACK IS STILL THERE! ABOUT A MILE WEST OF TOWN ON ST RT 28 NORTH SIDE BEHIND A TRUCK DOCK HIGH BANKED 1/4 PAVED TRACK!:checkered:
I did Google Earth and found the track. That used to be my sales territory and I never knew it existed.

I went about a mile and a half west on SR 28 and found what appears to be another race track on the south side of SR28. Anybody know what this might be?

1/7/09, 6:19 PM   #7
Ovalmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1Brad Kuhn Fan View Post
There was a race track in Alexandria Indiana many years ago. It was called Armscamp.I've heard many stories about it. I was told it burnt down twice,After the 2nd time it burnt down they never rebiult it.Im not sure when it burnt.Im thinking maybe the earley 50's.But i could be way wrong.
Armscamp is one of the tracks my Dad used to race at. I did a lot of snooping around for it's history years ago and found this info you might find interesting. Hope this helps. :thumb
David.

http://zenas4.tripod.com/orestesindi...tory/id29.html

http://zenas4.tripod.com/orestesindi...ory/id110.html

http://www.ultimateracinghistory.com/tracks.php

http://alexandriahistoricalsociety.info/id17.html

Here's my Dad's car he ran at Armscamp, Ft. Wayne, Muncie, etc....

Here's Potsy Goacher, another Armscamp regular......

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
1/7/09, 6:30 PM   #8
aceace

There was a racetrack between Oolitic and Bedford, IN in an area known as the Oolitic bottoms and the Mitchell track just off old Hwy 37 several have told me you can tell right where both tracks were from the air.

I found this little jewel on youtube not sure if it's been posted before. The first 30 seconds is some old NASCAR footage but then it's mostly USAC after that. All from 1958 good video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3oBzUikOB8
Last edited by aceace; 1/7/09 at 6:40 PM.

1 member likes this post: mc/rider
1/7/09, 6:49 PM   #9
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1Brad Kuhn Fan View Post
A friend of mine drove the ambulance back in the days of Armscamp Speedway. He said that it was a fun track but with the lack of roll cages also a very dangerous one. He said that many nights they made multiple runs to the hospital in Anderson. He said that it was "the" place to be on race night. A lot of big names apparently raced there.

A couple of years ago I went back behind the truck dock and sure enough you can still see the outline of the track. You need to go while the weeds are down so you don't have to wade through the brush.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

1/7/09, 7:01 PM   #10
sprntr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 767 View Post

Try: http://www.historicaerials.com/default.aspx
By panning around & changing years you can see both the 16th St Speedway across from IMS & the track in the ballpark.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Race Track Locator: Historic