IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Race Track Locator: Historic
1/10/09, 1:14 PM   #51
Re: Race Track Locator: Historic
sc96

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ2M View Post
I once heard a story that Earl Baltes had started on a 1 mile track adjacent to Eldora and had changed his mind and abandoned it. I dismissed this as a legend. Google Earth has always been blurry over the Eldora area but when I used Terraserver it was clear! Is there a shadow of a mile track to the southeast of the 1/2 mile or is that something else?
Joe Monroe
Yes there is a track back behind eldora,I think it is a 1 mile at one time they were going to build a drag strip along beside it.

1/10/09, 8:53 PM   #52
TQ29m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Goggles View Post
Speaking of Huston Bundy and Armscamp Speedway. He is a photo taken by John Hyland shortly before losing his life there.
DG
That midget looks an awful lot like my pre-war Hilligass car, I need to get started on the restoring part of it, I've had it about 15 years now, and really havn't had time to do much to it yet. Bob:thumb

1/10/09, 9:23 PM   #53
Ovalmeister

Quote:
Speaking of Huston Bundy and Armscamp Speedway. He is a photo taken by John Hyland shortly before losing his life there.
DG
That's awesome. Do you have any more photos from Armscamp or any other Indiana tracks from that era? Or know of any websites with photos/articles? I'm always looking for midget stuff from the 40's-50's.
Thanks, :thumb
David.

1/10/09, 10:56 PM   #54
SUPERDUKE
Banned

Quote:
DG
YES IN CARL REYNOLDS 10 RED RENNER DROVE CARL'S BLUE 31 ROADSTER TO WIN THE 51 LITTLE 500!!! LATER DROVE HIS AAA SPRINT CAR 84 THEN 4 BIG FLATHEAD MERC!!!!!:thumb:applaud:

1/10/09, 11:03 PM   #55
Go Fast

Race Count This Year: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmakin View Post
I found this, to the east of IN37, south of Martinsville, on Turkey Track Road (Put "turkey track" in Google Earth search).
That is it. I looked at the imagery from 1998 which as in B&W and it was more distinct. This is on the west side of 37 and North of Paragon Road. Many people use Paragon Road to get to Paragon when coming from Bloomington.

We used to meet a lot of haulers in the 90's on a Saturday afternoon. The haulers have gotten too big to use it much now.

Anyone know about this track? I also looked up Sweet Owen Speedway while I was on there. Dan Hetser knows a lot about that place.

I never had a bad day, just some more challenging than others!

1/10/09, 11:34 PM   #56
Tony74

Some very interesting stuff here…
I’ve been reading a Christmas present of mine Langhorne No Man’s Land by L. Specner Riggs out of Zionsville (It’s a great book!) and it had made mention of a track in Converse Indiana where a Howdy Wilcox II was killed when flagging in 1946, anyone now any more information about this track??

I would also be interested if any one knows more information about two Randolph County tracks of Union Port and Circle X that mainly ran jalopies in the 50’s

1/11/09, 1:16 AM   #57
dadams17

With all the talk about the old Armscamp Speedway, I figured I would add a little bit since you can throw a rock on the front stretch from my front yard. The track was way before my time so I don't know a whole lot of details but I have been back there a few times plus my dad loved to talk about the place. The track was very similar to Anderson Speedway and it did have a inner track made for go karts and what not. Only have of the track remains anymore.

My grandpa used to be a chief mechanic on many cars when the track was still running and would run all the cars out of the "Adams Garage." This is where the tradition started at. I do not remember many drivers that drove for him at the time except for Lucian Adamson. I posted a picture from a feature win of the 1950 National Crown with Adamson and my grandfather along with a few pictures of the track from about 2 years ago.

As far as trespassing on the grounds, they do have signs up saying no trespassing. I don't know how strict this is for those of you coming to take pictures and I am not sure who would be the person to talk to either. The ground is now owned by more than just 1 person, and this is a reason why the track was never rebuilt. Not everyone could agree on one thing.

I am going to try and get more info on the track for everyone from a few older friends around. 90 year old race fans have seen a lot of races and race tracks! Shoot me an email when you guys head this way and we could possibly meet up.

Donnie Adams Jr. :checkered:
dbadams17@yahoo.com

1/11/09, 10:58 AM   #58
Dusty Goggles

Not far from I-69 on St Rd 28, east about 2 miles is a small used car lot. The guys name is Gene Christie. If you want to know about Armscamp, there's the guy. He won many features there and has the trophy's to show you.
DG

1/11/09, 11:09 AM   #59
Fisher79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony74 View Post
Some very interesting stuff here…
I’ve been reading a Christmas present of mine Langhorne No Man’s Land by L. Specner Riggs out of Zionsville (It’s a great book!) and it had made mention of a track in Converse Indiana where a Howdy Wilcox II was killed when flagging in 1946, anyone now any more information about this track??

I would also be interested if any one knows more information about two Randolph County tracks of Union Port and Circle X that mainly ran jalopies in the 50’s
The Converse track is still there, it is a half-mile horse track and is part of the fairgrounds, I believe. The AMA flat tracker bikes ran there about 13 years ago or so. It's easy to see on Google Earth, etc.

1/11/09, 11:22 AM   #60
Dusty Goggles

If you are referring to this Red Renner in this Reynolds car....yes, I knew that.
DG
Last edited by Dusty Goggles; 7/4/09 at 3:27 PM.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Race Track Locator: Historic