IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Circle City Rocks
9/19/22, 4:23 PM   #21
Re: Circle City Rocks
Tief

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftrear View Post
I lived in Sun Prairie for 15 years and never missed a race . I never got hit by a rock not once. They had a free pizza and rock picking night or two every spring. This shouldn't be that hard of a fix. Spend a few dollars and save yourself and someone else from liability/injury.
I second this about Sun Prairie. Been there well over 100 times, sat in a bunch of different spots and never took a rock. Some good sized lumps of clay - but those have some give, rocks don't.

1 member likes this post: jdull99
9/19/22, 6:39 PM   #22
DaleDuBois

If rocks on a racetrack are a problem, a fence with 1/2" mesh about 12' high above the wall will take care of the rocks. I've raced all over the USA and the best tracks for no rocks are the ones who use black dirt, the kind of dirt that grows corn. Boone Iowa is a good example, it's a black dirt racetrack

9/19/22, 10:41 PM   #23
chrismattlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDuBois View Post
If rocks on a racetrack are a problem, a fence with 1/2" mesh about 12' high above the wall will take care of the rocks.
This sounds good in theory, but in practice it would severely limit spectator views from side to side. You'd probably only be able to see the cars once they got to within 30 feet of your seat, and then past also. That is, unless you used a mesh so thin that it would be useless.

9/19/22, 10:48 PM   #24
chrismattlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftrear View Post
I lived in Sun Prairie for 15 years and never missed a race . I never got hit by a rock not once. They had a free pizza and rock picking night or two every spring. This shouldn't be that hard of a fix. Spend a few dollars and save yourself and someone else from liability/injury.
I think the CC people may know a caterer!

They are good people. They see what you are saying. I bet if you give them some time, they will make it better.
Last edited by chrismattlin; 9/19/22 at 10:52 PM.

1 member likes this post: jdull99
9/20/22, 6:00 AM   #25
Andrew S. Quinn

Thanks for the new name "Quinn the know it all" I'll have to think of new lyrics to the song "Quinn the Eskimo" and start singing it.

At least I'll be wound free when singing,as I know enough not to sit where I'll get hit by flying debris....

(Edit) thought of a new lyric on the way to work this morning.....

Come all without, come all within
You won’t get hit by rocks if you sit next to know it all Quinn...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtTrackTherapy16J View Post
Oh there's no way that can be!! Quinn says so!! Quinn says there's no rocks or a rock problem at CC. They was there Friday and sat up high and didnt get hit one time so there cant be a rock problem!! Quinn has been there one time this year and knows everything and there cant be a rock problem. Honestly though, wow that's absolutely ridiculous!! That's one pile from one d*mn car!! Imagine every car from Friday and sweeping the bleachers just from Friday. There is probably a semi dump trailer load of rocks in that track but there isnt a problem according to the know it alls, there isnt rocks according to the know it alls. Then that's the other thing, call text email, be a man and talk face to face to the promoter and/or owner is a waste of energy, they are not that stupid or naive, they know there is a major problem. Like I said earlier in the year, the employees at the ticket booth and concessions sit there talking about the rock problem. It must come down to same situation another great track is having, promoter either does not care one bit or doesnt have the funds to do anything about it. Which the funds issue, likely b.s. being they have a jumbotron??? As the one person stated, could easily have a rock picking up party that doesnt take much money, just effort and honesty. Of course most people dont do either one these days.
Last edited by Andrew S. Quinn; 9/20/22 at 7:27 AM.

9/20/22, 10:09 AM   #26
Pitdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tief View Post
I second this about Sun Prairie. Been there well over 100 times, sat in a bunch of different spots and never took a rock. Some good sized lumps of clay - but those have some give, rocks don't.
I must respectfully disagree with any notion that The Prairie is rock-free. My pre-race ritual of walking the track with my screwdriver includes exhuming the visible rocks that are half the size of my fist or larger. Business is always good… if I were to try to remove the rocks smaller than that, I would never be able to leave the racing surface. Any driver that races there will tell you that rocks are an issue. Turn 1 spectators know to be on the lookout.

Most tracks have a rock problem. Occasionally it is of the track operator’s own doing because they’ve graveled the pits, and sticky mudpack tires pick up the gravel and “redistribute” it. Even without graveled pits, the native rocks work their way to the surface from track work and rain. We’ve reminisced about the rock collection parties at Sun Prairie, but to my knowledge there hasn’t been one in years. In reality, the only tracks I can say we haven’t experienced a rock problem are the few gumbo tracks that are in the river bottom, or the dust bowl stock car tracks that never get opened up at all.

If you want to a part of the solution, offer to organize a rock party through the track operator or booster club. Get with the local scout troop or high school band and for a modest donation to that volunteer organization, you can have them pick up the rocks and make a small improvement to the racing surface.

If you want to be a part of the problem, keep banging your keyboards and pontificating about what someone else should do. Do that enough and the whole racetrack will become one big rock parking lot for an auto salvage. But hey, at least then you won’t have to worry about being hit by rocks…

1 member likes this post: oldfan49
9/20/22, 10:43 AM   #27
mc/rider

Race Count This Year: 42

Best solution to eliminate rocks and dust, pavement

2 members like this post: Hustlin-Hoosier, OnTheHammer
9/20/22, 10:47 AM   #28
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

You can always spot Quinn at a race track, He's the one singing "Can't touch this"

9/20/22, 11:33 AM   #29
Vookie

Didn't a USAC flagman get hit in the nut sack by a rock at
16th Street Speedway back in the 1990's?

2 members like this post: Hubie48, monkeyboy
9/20/22, 11:54 AM   #30
The Old Coyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc/rider View Post
Best solution to eliminate rocks and dust, pavement
Dirt is for racing,
Pavement is for getting there.

4 members like this post: Hustlin-Hoosier, Pitdad, Speedwrench, TQ29m
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Circle City Rocks