IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Circle City Rocks
9/16/22, 10:57 PM   #1
Circle City Rocks
RACrappieman

I don’t want this to turn negative as no one on here wants to lose racetracks.If something isn’t done about the rocks at Circle City, someone is going to get hurt. I appreciate the effort that has gone into building this racetrack and I hope it’s a success, but I have been drilled by rocks 100% percent of the times I’ve been there. One of the two that got me tonight was the size of a strawberry and left a decent welt. I didn’t find the other one. Luckily it got me and missed my young son that I brought to the track. I’m not sure what the solution is but I’ve been to racetracks most of my 44 years and haven’t experienced this as bad anywhere else. A group in front of me stacked the rocks that they caught and left them on the seat as a subtle suggestion. Again, I am only bringing this up in hopes that a positive solution can be found.

9/16/22, 11:09 PM   #2
Grocery Guy

Race Count This Year: 6

I got hit with a small rock on my left cheek tonight. Put on my safety glasses to protect my eyes. Saw a huge rock someone had collected about row 5. It's been a problem since CC first opened. Disaster waiting to happen.

3 members like this post: DirtTrackTherapy16J, Hubie48, tirespinner
9/16/22, 11:57 PM   #3
badcoupe

Can’t say I’ve ever been to any track short of chili bowl where it wasn’t a problem, some worse than others. Last year CC had some this year we’ve ran there a few times and no issues, usually if it’s rocky driver bitches about his helmet getting hit. Granted we’re always sitting in pit stands.

2 members like this post: Andrew S. Quinn, tirespinner
9/17/22, 1:45 AM   #4
DirtTrackTherapy16J

You know the funny thing about this is (honestly not funny) I have posted this multiple times. I have been told, including again tonight, that I'm being negative, no I'm being honest and realistic, some people dont know how to do that.

I've been to CC twice this year, one time last year. I've said each time, it's a great race track, great facilities, great parking, good food (lil high priced), but the rocks are ridiculous. It's not pea gravel, its ROCKS.

Sprint Week my bald head got cut open, not enough for stitches but enough to be bleeding. I had to go buy a hat to protect myself. Sunglasses or safety glasses are a guarantee for me at any track, eye injury at 13, no way will I go without now days at 40. Got hit a couple more times at Sprint Week. Seen a man in his 80s moving rocks out of the way with his cane so he didnt stumble.

Tonight was better for me, sat in a different area, but still rocks. Got hit in the side of my calf, not only a welt, but cut my leg open. Went out for a break, in the handicap aisle way, a rock the size of a strawberry, good example crappieman.

I second what you say, not saying this to be negative, just being honest and hoping for some major improvement by next year, before someone gets seriously injured. The nay sayers, claim it's not true, it doesnt happen, it happens at every track, blah blah blah. No, Circle City is far far worse than any other track. Outside of the rocks, my 3rd favorite track!! Thank you for a great race, please do something/work on the rocks!!
Last edited by DirtTrackTherapy16J; 9/17/22 at 1:47 AM.

9/17/22, 12:17 PM   #5
Andrew S. Quinn

It’s hard to feel bad for people that post every time they go there they get hit by rocks. If you are getting hit by rocks, have some sense and sit elsewhere!

I went last night for the first time. I’ve read about rocks flying, so I sat up high just to the right of the flag stand. I didn’t get hit by anything AND there were plenty of seats available in my section, including a few on the top row. I didn’t see anyone anywhere around me get hit either.

9/17/22, 12:29 PM   #6
Re: Circle City Rocks
Jonr

Going to need some help from the farmers/construction guys, but I am 90% sure that I read about a local track in KC using a machine to de-rock the surface. From what I remember, the machine would take it the top x inches of the surface and sort/mill the dirt for the rocks. The end result was a rock free race track.

When I read it, it all made so much sense that I wondered why all tracks did not do this.

Anyone have experience with this?

3 members like this post: DirtTrackTherapy16J, oppweld, tirespinner
9/17/22, 12:32 PM   #7
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew S. Quinn View Post
It’s hard to feel bad for people that post every time they go there they get hit by rocks. If you are getting hit by rocks, have some sense and sit elsewhere!

I went last night for the first time. I’ve read about rocks flying, so I sat up high just to the right of the flag stand. I didn’t get hit by anything AND there were plenty of seats available in my section, including a few on the top row. I didn’t see anyone anywhere around me get hit either.

Some people don't have the luxury. If your handicap you may have to sit low.. I do think it's complaining but a legit one for sure if people are getting welts and cut by them. only a matter of time. TMEZ a couple times. Here's my go pro with a broken case again from CC.

Every track has rocks in it. some not much to worry about. Others depending on weather conditions have rocks float up and some are silted and checked pretty often.

Used to get nailed everytime at Union County (Liberty) by thumbnail sized stuff, Didn't matter where I sat. Sometime in the night, Wap!

Eyes are important, without them, You can't see the races, I have more than one friend who don't go anymore because they've lost one due to rocks. (FANS)

I haven't been to CC but want to. (Really the closest or fastest to get to track that runs sprint cars after Burg) But I couldn't see them visibly like first year. First year there was hand sized stuff. (Baseball) clearly visible on cam.
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 9/17/22 at 12:37 PM.

9/17/22, 12:51 PM   #8
nathans1012

Race Count This Year: 7
Race Count Last Year: 34

I went there once last year for the World Of Outlaws Late Model Series show and got nailed hard on a couple of occasions. BTW that crap that hit me was huge and I was sitting up high in the grandstands even bought a pit pass like I usually do and sat in the pit stands. I'm lucky I can tolerate $h!t ton of pain and not feel it unlike others. Over the years I've been hit by some good size rocks but those are by far the biggest rocks I've seen at any race track.

They really need to walk the track with at least a Phillips Screwdriver and scrape the dirt around the rocks and pull out at the very least the larger rocks they see.

2 members like this post: DirtTrackTherapy16J, tirespinner
9/17/22, 12:58 PM   #9
leftrear

I lived in Sun Prairie for 15 years and never missed a race . I never got hit by a rock not once. They had a free pizza and rock picking night or two every spring. This shouldn't be that hard of a fix. Spend a few dollars and save yourself and someone else from liability/injury.

9/17/22, 1:24 PM   #10
EldoraMark

I got hit by a rock at the Smackdown two nights in a row. I sit on top row near anouser booth. Been to CC 4 times and have not been hit. I do here them bouncing off of the stands. All tracks has stones it just part of it. I do believe CC has more of a stone problems then most tracks.
Last edited by EldoraMark; 9/18/22 at 9:35 AM.

2 members like this post: DirtTrackTherapy16J, tirespinner
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Circle City Rocks