IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Mark Perry's Wild Ride at the Action Track
4/23/12, 11:23 PM   #31
Re: Mark Perry's Wild Ride at the Action Track
Rpracing1

4/23/12, 11:50 PM   #32
Morin Racing 98

Race Count Last Year: 27

Typical people on the internet, say whatever they think even though they weren't in the pits or have a clue what Mark did or didn't do..glad you are OK dude! Can't wait to get on the track with you soon!

Posted via Mobile Device

2 members like this post: dirtnonwingfan, jim goerge
4/24/12, 6:50 AM   #33
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAsprintcar View Post
How many times has this happend? You think if it's happend b4 we would have seen it right? We will find out soon when bell gets the helmet. He forgot to tighten it and then bashes bell for it

Posted via Mobile Device
Thats two totally uncalled for ASSUMED remarks.

Mark, was it the strap broke or slipped the D rings? It is possible if the strap is worn as the actual threads are what hold it in the D rings.

I know my Motorcycle helmet if you pivot the rings a certain way, The belt will slide, But I don't see how this can happen unless they came into contact with something else.

Just wondering.

3 members like this post: dirtnonwingfan, jim goerge, SprintManDave
4/24/12, 1:44 PM   #34
racer-x

Hmm thats weird! You would have thunk he would have said right or left strap or d rings wouldnt ya???

4/24/12, 2:24 PM   #35
BAsprintcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer-x View Post
Hmm thats weird! You would have thunk he would have said right or left strap or d rings wouldnt ya???
You would think right? We wont find out unless maybe steve Thomas can tell us? Im glad he's okay and wouldn't want to see anyone get hurt that's fr sure

Posted via Mobile Device

1 member likes this post: racer-x
4/24/12, 4:50 PM   #36
D.O.

Straps and D rings are not made by the helmet manufactures cause they have to meet the snell ratings. The straps are made of a Kelvar weave for strength unlike other street use helmets that can use anything cause they don't have a rating. This was explained to me by a manufacture while I was shooting them testing helmets.

3 members like this post: BAsprintcar, jim goerge, koolaid89
4/24/12, 5:38 PM   #37
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Thanks for that reply D.O. and it will give me something to look for when seeking my next helmet.

Still looking for what happened, strap came out, broke? Dry Rot? anything, I guess we'll let Mark send it off and find out.

And Im happiest this isn't a tragic incident we have to learn from.

Get healed up soon Mark!

4/24/12, 6:49 PM   #38
backitin

[QUOTE=mrmark;277717]to everyone on here my helmet strap was tight. i always make sure it is strap. safty is one of my biggest things expeacailly at the action track. i dont injoy getting hurt. but i am ok just a few things wrong with my neck. thanks to bell helmets not[/QUOT

If it was the Bell helmets fault could you elaborate ? What exactly went wrong ? Just a few things wrong with your neck, huh ? Treat any neck injury with caution as they can come back to haunt you. I'm sick most everyday and go to therpy 4 times a week, from old neck injurys.

4/24/12, 10:38 PM   #39
mscs20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAsprintcar View Post
You would think right? We wont find out unless maybe steve Thomas can tell us? Im glad he's okay and wouldn't want to see anyone get hurt that's fr sure

Posted via Mobile Device
"mrmark" profile says he is 61, born in 1951 so I'm not sure if it was really him or his dad responding on this thread. Either way I sent them a pm and an olive branch was extended to return his helmet for inspection, and I will gladly share the findings. I also suggested he send his HANS to our good friend Ken Joyce in Brownsburg to have it inspected and his tethers replaced. I notified Ken to be on the look out and he for sure was in agreement.
Any time you have this type of crash you should have your head restraint and your helmet inspected regardless of the manufacturer.

D.O. is correct, Snell has a spec on the chin straps for SA rated helmets. The yellow part of the strap is Kevlar and then it is wrapped in Nomex or CarbonX. The D rings are wrapped, and bar tacked in Kevlar, and also wrapped with the same material. The strap, the D rings and the location, hole size and hardware is dictated by Snell. No one makes their own D rings, or screws etc........ leaving that up to the industry experts, nor does anyone make their own Kevlar weave.
I do know his helmet is an SA2010 rated lid, so it is current. So what happened? I don't know yet and according to what has been said, he doesn't either. Is it possible that the D rings tore lose from the Kevlar on the other strap? Who knows...... but I've never seen it happen. And we won't until the Perry's send the helmet in or share more info.

Rest assured that ALL brands of racing helmets (Bell, Aria, Simpson, Impact, G Force etc) continually test for retention and roll off on their own test rigs.....and Snell conducts random tests in their own lab. The D ring retention system and specification, from Snell pertaining to your chin strap, is still by far the safest that we know of. When they find a better, safer way, they will instruct everyone to implement it.

Hopefully we will know something soon. I will gladly share all info and even pictures if practical.

Steve

4/25/12, 8:45 AM   #40
davidm

Race Count This Year: 21
Race Count Last Year: 23

If anything this is a good thread on safety and maybe will help another driver in the future! I glad Mark is OK and that is the most important thing!

2 members like this post: jim goerge, mscs20
Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Mark Perry's Wild Ride at the Action Track