IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > knoxville non wing nationals
8/26/09, 4:56 PM   #11
Re: knoxville non wing nationals
captrat

I saw my first Nationals when Dick Gaines edged out Opperman out of 4 on the last lap. By far the best Nationals I ever saw, attended for many years up through the current years of winged racing. K'ville will probably not go back to a completely non-wing format in the forseeable future as a significant portion of the current fan base only knows wings. Ever say to someone " I am going to a sprint car race." The answer is usually something like this "Oh, I know those, the little cars with those big things on the top.". I feel the best hope is to get more fans to Osky and K'ville for the non-wing shows, as for the most part many have a very limited frame of reference. Even though its the 50th, I probably will not attend the Nationals, it is simply not the same atmosphere as in the past and the racing certainly does not measure up to its own history or to contemporary non-wing racing.

8/26/09, 5:36 PM   #12
SUPERDUKE
Banned

Ban all wings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8/26/09, 5:45 PM   #13
Koonzee

Knoxville had 43 -45 non-wing cars signed in this year on August 9th before the rains came.That was for just $5,000 to win. This event will only get bigger.It's a great combo with Osky.. Just hope it gets the crowd Osky did.
Last edited by Koonzee; 8/26/09 at 5:47 PM.

8/26/09, 6:42 PM   #14
jd1sprint

Race Count This Year: 6

There was alot of talk this year at the Nationals about the rules for the Outlaws next year. Looks like a bigger fuel cell and a wing change, only time will tell. (and yes they'll still have wings) :2:

8/26/09, 6:43 PM   #15
mini27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERDUKE View Post
Ban all wings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
No bad idea, wings are the best

8/26/09, 6:50 PM   #16
SUPERDUKE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini27 View Post
no bad idea, wings are the best
if you like a high speed parade!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8/26/09, 7:01 PM   #17
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

IMHO from what Ive seen, The new flat top of the wing does nothing to either unhook the cars or create better racing. Leave the side boards the same and reduce the surface by half. Its the breakup of clean air that reduces side by side racing untill all the air is buffeted.

Wing heat. Leader........................... 50ft second.............. 50ft third............................ ect

8/26/09, 7:02 PM   #18
chad

I dont see the fascination with the wing cars !!!! The best WoO race ia have seen dont not even compare the the worst non wing show I have seen. I sat and watched the kings Royal on tv and I try to keep an open mind but I dont see why anyone would want to watch a follow the leader every lap when you can go and watch any show in this state without a wing and see the best racing in the world !!!!

3 members like this post: 64chevy, SUPERDUKE
8/26/09, 7:36 PM   #19
john3g

Until you get the big names to take the wings off and bring the big money with them nothing will changes. They have TV and the big purse. They also have the best in the bizz (in the eyes of the public and sponsors)
and they know it. Terry Mac said it all in a Jack Slash video. He said that USAC burries you with rules and they don't pay enough and there it is. I think it would be cool to have super series that runs both wing and non-wing cars with 50% winged and 50% non-wing.with a the current WoO purse. The bottom line is if you want TV with sponsors that will bring in the best of the best then it's going to cost. Hell, I've even been approached by a potential sponsor for next year that would be interest in helping SCORA if we would start a deal like that. Of course I don't think it's possible for us right now but was interesting to hear that from a sponsor.
Last edited by john3g; 8/26/09 at 7:41 PM.

8/26/09, 7:37 PM   #20
SUPERDUKE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad View Post
i dont see the fascination with the wing cars !!!! The best woo race ia have seen dont not even compare the the worst non wing show i have seen. I sat and watched the kings royal on tv and i try to keep an open mind but i dont see why anyone would want to watch a follow the leader every lap when you can go and watch any show in this state without a wing and see the best racing in the world !!!!
you are right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

---------- Post added at 07:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:37 PM ----------

Wings have ruin all forms of racing !!!!!!!!!!!!! Think about it?????????

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > knoxville non wing nationals