IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Horsepower Comparison - D2, BMARA, USAC, etc.
1/27/18, 11:59 PM   #11
Midget98

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendirt View Post
The people who truly know aren't going to tell you.

I believe 300hp +/- is the average of a "good" Badger motor. There may be a couple out there making well to the plus side of 300, but they're not making 340-350. Just based on my own observations, YRMV.

You know D2-legal Ecotechs have won Badger races in both of the last two seasons? The one that did it last year was for sale right here in the classifieds. Actually now that I think about it, the engine that won a race in 2016 may have been listed on here as well if you want to search back a year or so.
That's sort of the range I was thinking they were at, but with everyone throwing around crazy numbers I wasn't too sure. I'd love to see some comparison numbers from the same Dyno on some different engines (national and D2) without them being tainted by the engine builder having to brag about their own product.

1 member likes this post: jdull99
1/28/18, 12:43 AM   #12
Re: Horsepower Comparison - D2, BMARA, USAC, etc.
Puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midget98 View Post
I believe that was probably pretty accurate. I think around 2000 that was a respectable horsepower number with the Ed Pink Ford probably about 15-20 more than that at the time.
Yeah 2000 H.P. for the $40,000 Pinks of the 90's sounds about right...
Sorry, I had to!!!

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
1/28/18, 8:44 PM   #13
Cobra 14

Either an example of "dyno" numbers.. Or?

https://kmodperformance.myshopify.co...50hp-all-motor

1/28/18, 10:06 PM   #14
kendirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra 14 View Post
Either an example of "dyno" numbers.. Or?

https://kmodperformance.myshopify.co...50hp-all-motor
Look at the pictures of the portwork done on that thing.

It's not legal for anything we're talking about here.

1/28/18, 10:19 PM   #15
Ray3

https://kmodperformance.myshopify.co...otor-longblock

The Badger legal long block he sells is at the link above. Please don't pay attention to the 400hp part of this. That is not even close to realistic. He copied and pasted from another engine.

I am the one that convinced him to start offering Badger legal engines because we needed more builders in the series. His name is Marquis Fogg and he is a really nice guy just trying to find more outlets for his products.

1 member likes this post: dirtball
1/28/18, 11:25 PM   #16
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray3 View Post
https://kmodperformance.myshopify.co...otor-longblock

The Badger legal long block he sells is at the link above. Please don't pay attention to the 400hp part of this. That is not even close to realistic. He copied and pasted from another engine.

I am the one that convinced him to start offering Badger legal engines because we needed more builders in the series. His name is Marquis Fogg and he is a really nice guy just trying to find more outlets for his products.
Thats all well & good, hope he succeeds, but he should try a little "truth in advertising"

2 members like this post: dirtball, Edwards44
1/28/18, 11:28 PM   #17
Ray3

Quote:
Originally Posted by revjimk View Post
Thats all well & good, hope he succeeds, but he should try a little "truth in advertising"
In his defense the ad says the 400hp is only attainable with M1 or M3 fuel. But I don't disagree with what you're saying. Just remember these types of builders sell their engines for all kinds of applications other than Midgets.
Last edited by Ray3; 1/28/18 at 11:30 PM.

2 members like this post: dirtball, PIT CART
1/29/18, 12:23 AM   #18
WBR 3E

As part of our development of the USAC Midwest SpeeD2 Midget Series rulebook that will be used by the Midwest Thunder Midgets (MTM) and Illinois Midget Racing Association (IMRA) in 2018, we tested a variety of Ecotec and Focus powered cars which met our rules. Using the same dyno we saw HP ratings at the rear wheel of approximately 160 – 170 for the ‘Scream’ Focus, and 170 – 180 for the Ecotec. For comparison sake, the popular 2007/2008 Yamaha R-1 engine is factory rated (crank) at 177 HP.

A separate post compared the rules of MTM/IMRA, Southern States (SS) and Badger. Note that in general the MTM/IMRA and SS are the same with the exception of SS allowing aftermarket flat top pistons (MTM/IMRA must be stock) and less clarity on the modifications permitted on the Scream Focus. Our understanding is that Badger requires OEM parts but does not prohibit mixing components from different models from the same manufacturer (MTM/IMRA/SS require all components from same model), and Badger allows internal modifications including aftermarket pistons, connecting rods and camshafts are permitted.

The USAC Midwest SpeeD2 Midget Series Rules are available at http://www.midwestthundermidgets.com/rules/

Greg Watson
USAC Midwest Thunder Midgets

5 members like this post: Avon Open Wheel fan, Cobra 14, dirtball, fish, jjones752
1/29/18, 7:53 AM   #19
Ray3

I think it is important to mention that Badger pays $1000 to win and $100 to start at their events.

1 member likes this post: dirtball
1/29/18, 7:49 PM   #20
Wayne Davis

Race Count This Year: 38
Race Count Last Year: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray3 View Post
I think it is important to mention that Badger pays $1000 to win and $100 to start at their events.
Lucas Oil Division II Midgets (aka SS Midgets) pay $1200 to win and $200 to start $75 for all non quailfiers. We also have the Gator "DIRT" Nationals D-2 WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP in March paying $3000 to win $500 to Start ...

www.SouthernOutlawPromotions.com

3 members like this post: Avon Open Wheel fan, Cobra 14, jdull99
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Horsepower Comparison - D2, BMARA, USAC, etc.