IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Horsepower Comparison - D2, BMARA, USAC, etc.
1/27/18, 3:55 PM   #1
Horsepower Comparison - D2, BMARA, USAC, etc.
Midget98

Another topic on D2 midgets got me wondering about actual true HP and torque numbers for different current and past midget engine platforms. What does anyone know about actual non-inflated HP numbers for various midget engines? The ranges I have seen posted vary so greatly that it is hard to tell fact from fiction when it comes to what the real numbers are. I think that a Toyota National motor puts out probably the highest HP and torque, but has anyone done any dyno testing to legitimately compare this to a top of the line BMARA legal motor as well as the Focus and other D2 legal stock motors? I would be interested to know when you compare REAL numbers where these engines stand. Is the current BMARA legal engine close in HP to what we ran in the -12 and SB2 Chevy head Gaertes 10-15 years ago before the W-9 Mopar and extra cubic inch allowances for Fontana and Esslingers took hold? My dyno sheet from a reputable builder on a Brayton Buick head motor in 2001 showed peak HP at around 340 and that was pretty competitive at the time. Where are we now with REAL HP and torque numbers?

1/27/18, 5:13 PM   #2
Re: Horsepower Comparison - D2, BMARA, USAC, etc.
stoney

almost double that

1/27/18, 5:13 PM   #3
badcoupe

We had A speedway engine development Chevy back in 99 that made in the 350 range on their dyno each time it was on there

1/27/18, 5:28 PM   #4
Midget98

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoney View Post
almost double that
Huh? Double what?

This is the sort of guessing and throwing about of numbers I was trying to avoid. If you don't have legitimate realistic information, please don't bother attempting to contribute. I can make a Dyno sheet show that a 604 crate motor is putting out 900 horsepower, but that doesn't make it true.

1/27/18, 5:31 PM   #5
Midget98

Quote:
Originally Posted by badcoupe View Post
We had A speedway engine development Chevy back in 99 that made in the 350 range on their dyno each time it was on there
I believe that was probably pretty accurate. I think around 2000 that was a respectable horsepower number with the Ed Pink Ford probably about 15-20 more than that at the time.

1 member likes this post: jdull99
1/27/18, 6:31 PM   #6
Chris Baue

A lot of factors come into play. Take one engine to 10 different dynos and I guarantee you’ll get 10 different numbers.

5 members like this post: Ken Bonnema, midget39, PIT CART, superstock30, tirespinner
1/27/18, 7:48 PM   #7
Midget98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Baue View Post
A lot of factors come into play. Take one engine to 10 different dynos and I guarantee you’ll get 10 different numbers.
Correct, but there is a true number somewhere. My guess is if you threw out the top two and bottom two of those ten and averaged the others you'd be pretty close to a true number. I'm just wondering what those true numbers really are.

4 members like this post: dirtball, jdull99, superstock30, tirespinner
1/27/18, 8:41 PM   #8
Re: Horsepower Comparison - D2, BMARA, USAC, etc.
kendirt

The people who truly know aren't going to tell you.

I believe 300hp +/- is the average of a "good" Badger motor. There may be a couple out there making well to the plus side of 300, but they're not making 340-350. Just based on my own observations, YRMV.

You know D2-legal Ecotechs have won Badger races in both of the last two seasons? The one that did it last year was for sale right here in the classifieds. Actually now that I think about it, the engine that won a race in 2016 may have been listed on here as well if you want to search back a year or so.
Last edited by kendirt; 1/27/18 at 8:43 PM.

1 member likes this post: jjones752
1/27/18, 9:00 PM   #9
Cobra 14

Should we include the term "legal"? (stock compression)

1/27/18, 10:45 PM   #10
badcoupe

We were decently competitive with the ed pink fords which was the hot motor of the week back then. They certainly were faster, but it wasn’t an insurmountable difference if a motor like ours was hooked up and the pink car was off on setup obviously

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Horsepower Comparison - D2, BMARA, USAC, etc.