IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > RIP Chris Economaki
9/28/12, 6:03 PM   #31
Re: RIP Chris Economaki
nathans1012

Race Count This Year: 7
Race Count Last Year: 34

SAD day in motorsports. The racing wold has lost a legend. Chris was one of the most influential and respected members in the motorsports community. He always had a bunch of good stories and articals in NSSN.

Chris Economacki (91) 1920-2012. Rest In Peace - The racing world has lost one of it's most respected members.
May God be with you and your family at this time.

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, TNRustler
9/28/12, 8:38 PM   #32
BrentTFunk

I feel very lucky to have talked to Chris 2 times. The first time was at Terre Haute when I caught up with him walking into the infield thru the tunnel. I gave him a flyer I had been handing out to teams in the pits for the first Vince Osman Classic at Kokomo. He told me he liked the old style of promoting and thanked me for the flyer. He stood with us and watched hot laps. Nothing could have knocked that smile off my face. I also met him when he signed his book written by Dave Argabright, " Let em All Go". I came home from work, and heard of his passing, and started rereading it. I have to go back to work at 9:30 and hope to finish it before I leave for the Burg. RIP to great guy, who made our sport better.

2 members like this post: Dirt Man Bill
9/28/12, 9:40 PM   #33
IndyBound

There is no other way to describe Chris Economaki than "The Dean of American Motorsports." We all grew up either listening to his voice on the Nascar broadcast or reading NSSN, and/or both.

Chris was inspirational in helping Dave Wright start Gator Racing News, Dave also passed away this year in June. I am sure their reunion will be filled with racing stories past and present.

RIP Chris and Dave.

Patti
Last edited by IndyBound; 9/29/12 at 8:06 AM.

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, I Miss Manzy, Tim Bookmiller
9/28/12, 10:31 PM   #34
mr nobody
Banned

Sad day for every race fan who ever held a NSSN. He was the connection for those who couldn't get to Ascot, Winchester, Salen, Manzanita, or Watkins Glen.

His contribution to racing coverage is enormous. He set the bar high for those who followed to obtain.

He was our Walter Kronkite.
Last edited by mr nobody; 9/28/12 at 10:33 PM.

5 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Honest-Sam, IndyBound, smith19
9/28/12, 10:45 PM   #35
scott bradley1x

Very sad. RIP

Posted via Mobile Device

1 member likes this post: BrentTFunk
9/29/12, 8:23 AM   #36
FALCONEDDIE

R.i.p. Chris economaki! I like many others grew up with national speed sport news - great paper. But we must not forget where chris got his start with the bergen herald, new jersey covering open wheel midget racing and the old aaa sprint cars and then urc sprints. Enjoyed talking with chris at pri and other trade shows - great guy!!
Falconeddie

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, IndyBound
9/29/12, 10:29 AM   #37
Eldora Three

Watched him many times on TV way back when and always looked forward to getting my copy of NSSN in the mail. That was my computer on racing before we all had computers. I also have an autographed copy of his biography.
RIP Chris. You were one of the best.

9/29/12, 11:56 AM   #38
Dick Monahan

Race Count Last Year: 26

I read the Boston Globe every day, and except for the time around the major events at New Hampshire Motor Speedway, there is rarely even a mention of auto racing. But, just to confirm how well he was known in the general world outside us real fans, they ran a large obit of Chris today.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/bos...19#fbLoggedOut

1 member likes this post: Eldora Three
9/29/12, 2:39 PM   #39
racefanindy

The Dean of Motorsports Journalism. Just like others have already mentioned, I always looked forward to the next issue of NSSN & Chris' column, the Editor's Notebook. RIP Chris.

9/30/12, 1:25 AM   #40
Gasman fan 50

RIP Chris Economaki

We met him at Calistoga 1/2 mile either 78 or 80 as my son got an autograph on his cast on his leg or arm. We still have it that cast. The best auto racing news paper out there. We got the Racing Wheels out of the Northwest and NSSN for the all over Midwest to East coast news.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > RIP Chris Economaki