IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Tri-State Speedway surface
6/10/22, 7:09 PM   #31
wildman92

Race Count This Year: 50

But let’s hear it for the double cheeseburgers. They were on point Sunday night. 😉

6/10/22, 9:29 PM   #32
Pitdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by The55 View Post
It wasn’t political until your last statement which was very political. No doubt the oil companies are making big profits right now. My only question is, if it is this simple why don’t they always operate this way. It wasn’t long ago gas price was less than half what it is now. Did the oil companies just now become greedy?
No, since you want to have this conversation within a thread about the track surface from a race last week, they’ve always been “greedy”. Oil companies, like all publicly traded companies, are beholding to their shareholders. Since everyone is now in the stock market (and has been for twenty years) because of your 401k, your fund managers demand that publicly traded corporations make money, every quarter, no matter how well they did the previous quarter or previous year. The old accounting term “retained earnings” which is what we used to do with extra profits from one quarter to smooth things out for a future bad quarter is now obsolete. Now you just fire everyone and make the next guy show a profit when you have a bad quarter.

What this causes is oil companies, and all corporations, to worry more about stock price than productivity. Stock price, today, is about speculation, not productivity. Schlumberger, the largest oilfield service company in the world, lost billions in 2020, laid off a 1/3rd of their workforce, squeezed ALL of their suppliers for pricing concessions, cut cost to the bone, and made their stock price skyrocket because investors liked their “fiscal discipline”. They didn’t complete any wells (aka “frac”) to get that stock price. They cut cost and lived off their stock price. The banks figured this out and decided they liked this strategy better than the usual borrow and spend and overproduce and drive the price of oil down cycle that we’ve gone through for the past 25 years.

So here we sit. Oil production is stalled because fund managers like fiscal discipline, oil companies like higher stock prices, and everyone that knows nothing can blame it on supply chain issues, labor shortages, and the inability to drill on federal land in Texas (which comprises less than 2% of the drillable acreage in Texas). In reality, the government hasn’t done anything to stifle production.

But what do I know. I’ve only been living this roller coaster for 25 years.

LET’S TALK ABOUT RACING!

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, oldfan49, RACrappieman
6/10/22, 10:36 PM   #33
Rpracing1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildman92 View Post
But let’s hear it for the double cheeseburgers. They were on point Sunday night. 😉
Stay on topic please! Lol

6/10/22, 11:54 PM   #34
The55

Just responding to someone else that brought non-racing things into the conversation.

6/11/22, 10:05 AM   #35
Re: Tri-State Speedway surface
sw1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoIllSprinter View Post
Much of it is now corporate greed. During the 1st year of the pandemic demand for fuel bottomed and prices did as well. U.S. petroleum companies were hemorrhaging money and as a result they cut tons of workers and stopped new drilling. With gas at $5+ a gallon they are making, as per usual, obscene amounts of profit. They are now unwilling to reinvest in workers or new drills to reap profits, content to make us more dependent on an increase in foreign oil imports. ***** actually opened more areas for drilling, no takers. Some take anything and make it part of their political agenda. This is not political, ***** could have done no more about it than this administration, the bonus with the current administration is that there hasn’t been an attack on our democratic system of government.
Corporate greed is a euphemism for I don't understand capitalism or free markets. [Capitalism, by the way, is what gave us the highest standard of living in the history of planet earth. People are literally dying to get into this country right now through our open southern border. If you don't believe that you may want to secretly tune in to Fox for a few minutes.] If the oil companies really are acting like a cartel, that violates our antitrust laws. And by the way, Democrat FTCs are historically less corporate-friendly than Republican FTCs. Sorry for the off topic but I didn't start it. Let's go racing!

6/11/22, 1:18 PM   #36
BrentTFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1911 View Post
Corporate greed is a euphemism for I don't understand capitalism or free markets. [Capitalism, by the way, is what gave us the highest standard of living in the history of planet earth. People are literally dying to get into this country right now through our open southern border. If you don't believe that you may want to secretly tune in to Fox for a few minutes.] If the oil companies really are acting like a cartel, that violates our antitrust laws. And by the way, Democrat FTCs are historically less corporate-friendly than Republican FTCs. Sorry for the off topic but I didn't start it. Let's go racing!
Do you ever post about racing?

2 members like this post: captrat, ronmil
6/11/22, 1:33 PM   #37
SoIllSprinter

My point exactly Brent. Pretty tired of propaganda housed in a racing forum. You get that BS everywhere else online, this used to be a free zone from people pushing an agenda, I guess no more. And to SW1911, I am conservative in nature and have taught economics for 35 years, don’t try to school me with your particular brand of BS.

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, captrat, cowboyhar69, ronmil
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Tri-State Speedway surface