IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC and D2 Midgets
12/5/15, 7:02 PM   #31
Bradleyracing86

Mmmmm ok dad... Is that why we see so many low dollar motors winning the big "real" midget races lol.

On a track the size of Duqouin, little Salem... And maybe the old Linton I'll buy it... Well if buy it with out the water truck!
Last edited by Bradleyracing86; 12/5/15 at 7:06 PM.

1 member likes this post: DAD
12/5/15, 7:46 PM   #32
Tom23

Chain guys swear that eco tech have the advantage, ecotech guys will swear that chain cars have the advantage. I'm not the smartest guy and not the definative expert but we probably have run as many of these races as anyone the past couple of years. I can say these cars are as close as you could make it. We have been very competitive with a stock 06 R1. Some tracks and conditions favor one or the other, but that is the way racing always is.

5 members like this post: DAD, hullracing, lightning01, speedee24, Wayne Davis
12/5/15, 7:50 PM   #33
Re: USAC and D2 Midgets
Crankin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyBobby View Post
Its getting easier to get 210 hp if you have a 1000cc mini sprint. 1000cc chain drives are rapidly advancing in hp numbers and are establishing themselves as the alphas of D2. This will be great for the growth of mini sprints, expect them in victory lane most the time.
Per D2 rules:

Equalization:

"As the POWRi Division II grows, it will attempt to equalize competition, we reserve the right to adjust the rules. When the current rules have been shown to favor a particular interpretation, or a certain make of engine, we will work to adjust the rules in as inexpensive way as possible, within a reasonable amount of time."

Just sayin'.

12/5/15, 7:58 PM   #34
DAD

Andy

Welll what I have noticed over the years is simple. As the caliber of racing gets better most of the drivers are very talented and can use a car and motor to the fullest capabilities. So if it was a horse race I would bet on the motor.

Now we move down a notch or two to Mini Sprint Racing or now to D2 Midgets. We are presented with a different set of variables. The motors are pretty equal even when hot roded in the case of the Mini Sprint. When an engine is producing 3+ horsepower per cubic inch in it's "STOCK" tune there is not a lot left to do but make it more manageable. With numbers like this a 410 sprint motor would be producing 1200 to 1400 Horsepower.

Now the drivers experience in the lower class might range from a couple of months to 20+ years. In many instances drivers with years of experience in racing in the upper echelon of racing are returning to their roots in Mini Sprints and D2 Midgets because of the cost versus performance aspect of these cars.

All of that being said in the case of D2 or Mini Sprint racing I would be inclined to bet on the driver as opposed to the motor. I understand some teams are actually hiring older more experienced drivers to race for them in search of that elusive but always wanted win.

You young racers out their getting beat all the time please don't drink the Kool Aid. A good motor and chassis won't help much in the experience department. Have fun and work on your driving and set up expertise. Get an in car lap timer and race yourself. "Good Better Best>>Never let It Rest>>Until Your Good Is Better And Your Better Is Best"

Honest Dad himself

12/5/15, 8:21 PM   #35
dirtrack

Things were pretty even in the past. How much power will the 2.4L be down now that they can't use after market pistons and cams? I would think the drop in compression will make a difference on alcohol. The 1000cc's can now use after market rods, pistons and cams. I don't see that making a huge difference, but it will help some.

12/5/15, 8:28 PM   #36
Bradleyracing86

After market rods, pistons, and cams are huge in the 1000cc. Not to mention you just spent $3000.

It's all head and compression on the liter motors. They are very good stock, but they can be better.

1 member likes this post: RickyBobby
12/5/15, 8:34 PM   #37
dirtrack

OK, If that does make a huge difference I think the drive shaft guys are going to be wanting a "adjustment" early in the season. Not every 1000cc will be built, but several will be.

12/5/15, 8:37 PM   #38
speedee24

The 1000cc bike engines and the production automotive engines are both only allowed aftermarket rods,valve springs and retainers. Pistons and cams must remain stock in all engines by the rules
Last edited by speedee24; 12/5/15 at 8:38 PM.

1 member likes this post: DAD
12/5/15, 8:48 PM   #39
DAD

I was always partial to Lime flavored

Honest Dad himself

12/5/15, 8:50 PM   #40
Bradleyracing86

I see nothing pertaining to motorcycle engines pistons in the USAC rules.

Rods are the Achilles heel in our engines.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC and D2 Midgets