IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC and D2 Midgets
12/3/15, 10:16 PM   #21
Re: USAC and D2 Midgets
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradleyracing86 View Post
What would happen if the national level USAC midgets would mix up the rule book and only allow OEM engine blocks or aftermarket comparatives, and that be the only rule.... I feel like the new car engines would be great.

Scott

Engine design has come a long way in the last 20 years or so. I think some of these newer stock motors especially when they get up to around 3 liters or so and turn into the V design block (they have better port layout) could give some of these high dollar 50 year old 2 valve motors a real run for the money.

Honest Dad himself

12/4/15, 11:06 PM   #22
Hustler

Race Count This Year: 18

This has perked my interest but I have a question. Who does the harnesses for the K24a1? Cut them down and resist out all the garbage? Any sites I can look at for good reading?
From what I've researched it's going to be tough to make over 200 hp in this class with not being able to put different head/block combinations together.
Also, anyone make mechanical injection for these?
Thanks for all the heads up.

12/5/15, 12:05 PM   #23
Davis33

Here is a few pics of a Honda K24A1 with MSD ign,Engler Injection. This motor happens to be a dry sump but is available in wet sump as well.( Which is much cheaper to build) This will give viewers a look at what a Honda looks like in race form. This engine was built by Jim Stewart of Stewart Engine in Indy who has years of experience with Hondas and other 4 cylinder production engines.
Attached Images
Honda Engine 1.jpg (125.9 KB, 119 views)
Honda Engine 2.jpg (129.1 KB, 109 views)
Honda Engine 3.jpg (153.2 KB, 110 views)

12/5/15, 12:16 PM   #24
Davis33

Here are some pics of the Honda K24A1 wet sump engine mounted in a car with the header we designed at Schoenfeld headers to fit the midget. This has been dyno tested by Jim Stewart of Stewart Engines in Indy with the Engler injection to come up with a good combo.
Attached Images
Honda Header 20 Degree.jpg (150.7 KB, 113 views)
Honda Header 20 Degree 2.jpg (150.6 KB, 100 views)
Honda Header 20 Degree 3.jpg (169.8 KB, 104 views)

12/5/15, 4:34 PM   #25
RickyBobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustler View Post
This has perked my interest but I have a question. Who does the harnesses for the K24a1? Cut them down and resist out all the garbage? Any sites I can look at for good reading?
From what I've researched it's going to be tough to make over 200 hp in this class with not being able to put different head/block combinations together.
Also, anyone make mechanical injection for these?
Thanks for all the heads up.

Its getting easier to get 210 hp if you have a 1000cc mini sprint. 1000cc chain drives are rapidly advancing in hp numbers and are establishing themselves as the alphas of D2. This will be great for the growth of mini sprints, expect them in victory lane most the time.
Andrew Funk #8
Last edited by RickyBobby; 12/5/15 at 5:36 PM.

1 member likes this post: LJC77
12/5/15, 5:39 PM   #26
chop

1000 cc motorcycle engines have a problem. You need a rich-drunk-20 something to crash a sport bike to get a engine. As more classes of race cars use them, less around and higher cost. Other problem would be getting a engine off of a stolen bike. If you have a engine with a VIN number that shows it was stripped, tell that one to Mr. police. I know someone that had one in a dune buggy, Paid a high price for having it. Unless someone can make a deal with a bike maker to sell new long blocks, not going to be easy to keep getting one when you need one. Other problem no matter how much you talk yourself blue in the face. Bike engines are not meant to run full throttle, non stop for 20 laps. If we can use a cheap car engine that is made by the 100,000 per year, better for the racer

2 members like this post: DAD, trannyman
12/5/15, 6:01 PM   #27
DAD

Chop

Some of what you say is true some not so true. People that buy 1000cc bikes are pretty good riders and they wreck a lot less than the 600cc guys. A top notch 1000cc bike brings $12,000.00+ new and guys try to protect their investments. As far as performance goes they are tough little buggers, when you can get better than 3 HP per cubic inch from your power plant you are approaching F-1 car potential. Durable?? you can expect 3 or 4 years hard racing out of one of them, BUT they are getting a little harder to find and price has increased about 30% in the last few years. Supply and demand. With the 4 valve auto engines it is again a buyers Market.

The trick for D2 it to prevent people trying to get 2 horsepower per cubic inch out of these little motors.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 12/5/15 at 6:04 PM.

12/5/15, 6:41 PM   #28
Bradleyracing86

Well Chop the problem is the people will buy what's dominate the motorcycle engines come from salvage yards just like the rest... I for one don't think it will be the 1000 that's dominate unless guys build them like they are now aloud too be built ..the race will be between the built 1000s and the strong ecotechs... Everyone else will be car count. There is a reason why these ecotechs weren't allowed to play with the focus cars and the Hondas before. One guarantee people will buy what wins, it doesn't matter what the purse is.. In the latest D0 interview they talk about cheaters." It said who would want to cheat for a $2500 purse". I can a answer that.... Everyone. The glory of winning will ***** all. The rule book is uninforcable, so many different engines and not enough knowledge. This has always been the problem.

1 member likes this post: DAD
12/5/15, 6:49 PM   #29
dirtrack

Quote:
Originally Posted by chop View Post
1000 cc motorcycle engines have a problem. You need a rich-drunk-20 something to crash a sport bike to get a engine. As more classes of race cars use them, less around and higher cost. Other problem would be getting a engine off of a stolen bike. If you have a engine with a VIN number that shows it was stripped, tell that one to Mr. police. I know someone that had one in a dune buggy, Paid a high price for having it. Unless someone can make a deal with a bike maker to sell new long blocks, not going to be easy to keep getting one when you need one. Other problem no matter how much you talk yourself blue in the face. Bike engines are not meant to run full throttle, non stop for 20 laps. If we can use a cheap car engine that is made by the 100,000 per year, better for the racer
I was paying the same for the big bore bike kits 25 years ago that I pay today. Back in the old days we had no internet and fewer rich drunk kids. The new motors will also last a lot longer.

1 member likes this post: Bradleyracing86
12/5/15, 6:53 PM   #30
DAD

Andy

Say it isn't so.!!!!!!

It not the power of your power plant but how good you put the power of your power plant to the race track. (Say that 10 times)

Honest Dad himself

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC and D2 Midgets