IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Attn: All track promoters and employees
4/14/11, 10:38 AM   #31
Re: Attn: All track promoters and employees
bigmojo5

I know this isn't a sprint car track, but Cedar County Raceway in Tipton, Iowa, overcame some serious challenges last Friday night. After my doctor's appointment, I was probably the first to arrive at the track, certain after seeing water standing in the ditches about a mile away that i would be going home.
The crew worked the track in, with many from pit crews watching in disbelief, many saying they were wasting their time. The show started an hour late, but it started and entertained the crowd that braved the cold temperatures. The others were probably home watching NASCAR.

BTW, the Sprint Invaders run at the track during the fair. It used to be a spot for IMCA sprint races. I believe Mr. Jim Hurtubise has won a few races there, among others.

2 members like this post: IndyBound, TQ29m
4/14/11, 11:04 AM   #32
IndyBound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
I understand your thought, but there will NEVER be a shopping mall or housing development near Eldora, even if it closes.
Brad, for years we heard rumors of Manzy being sold for a Home Depot or some other similiar type establishment and everytime the rumors circulated the rumors were countered with too many chemicals in the ground for Manzy to ever be anything but a race track, An then the day came when the announcement was made, Manzy was sold and a month later we were attending the last races held there. An now USAC no longer comes to the valley of the sun and all the talk of the Copper Classic returning to PIR is just that talk at this time.

I am a strong supporter of saving all of the old famed race tracks out there, whether I have had the opportunity to attend a race there or not I don't want to see any more of these tracks go away. An quite often I think we as race fans take for granted what we have and don't realize how fast the face of our beloved sport can change. The race fans of the valley were dealt the reality of loosing there famed race track and I don't want to see that happend in any other part of the country.

When Pat Furlong and Steve Gioia bought Oswego from the Cauroso's the rumor was Furlong would turn it into one of his housing developments when he was done operating it as a race track. Maybe that is why I used shopping mall or housing developement, many closed race tracks have all ready met that fate.

Let all going racing, have fun and keep the competitors safe!

Patti

4/14/11, 9:43 PM   #33
Indy1808

Race Count This Year: 37
Race Count Last Year: 35

Thanks Bill,
A big thanks to Joe Spiker and all employees.
I attended the Fest at Putnamville and was happy that they persevered & pulled it off. I was my sons first visit to any track since moving to Chicago and we brought along his 2nd cousins(age 5 & 6) and they had a blast fireworks and all. It was a lovely night for being outdoors for racing.
Although I truly understand the many teams declined to race and that loaded up their cars & equipment for another day, my hat is off to each and every one of those who did run and put on the show for the almost packed house. It was as full as I had seen it there in a long time. That was good to see. I know of 4 very happy and satisfied fans, 2 of them already buggin me to make the 2 hour trip again whenever I'm ready.:2:
"Sitting in the Stands " #noteamracing
Last edited by Indy1808; 4/14/11 at 9:46 PM.

2 members like this post: IndyBound, Mud Packer
4/14/11, 10:39 PM   #34
Pushtruck

Thanks for the post Bill... and for all you do for racing.

Our crew was at LPS last Saturday and the heavy rains definately made for less than ideal conditions for us, the racers and the rest of the track staff.

The push lane had a twenty foot wide stream of water trickling across it by nights end. The track's new clay was extremely soft and impossible to keep from rutting up as was evident when the ambulance sank to its frame when it tried to respond to the multi car flip in the first sprint heat. The infield was a muddy mess that was nearly impossible to navigate in four wheel drive or by foot. There were haulers that were stuck in the pits and had to be pulled out. I could go on and on about the unusual things that the staff and racers had to deal with on opening night but I won't.

We have been doing this for a very long time and have had our share of good nights and bad nights at the races. We do between 35 to 55 shows every year. That's just part of the game. You learn to take the good with the bad.

My hat is off to the racers who stayed and endured the rough track conditions to put on a show for all of us who were sick of the long, cold winter weather and were way overdue for our racing fix.

That last lap... last turn... hole shot Dave Darland made to the checkers was pretty impressive... made me forget about all the snow and ice I've endured this winter... and it made sloshing around in the mud and water all night worth the misery.

Thanks again for the positive post Bill. And thanks again to all of the people who manage and staff the race tracks that give us all something to look forward to each week. See you at the races.

Joe Chambers
Official Push Trucks
Last edited by Pushtruck; 4/14/11 at 10:53 PM.

2 members like this post: IndyBound, SCOTT M
4/15/11, 12:47 PM   #35
ColoradoFan

Thanks Bill for starting a thread that maybe needs to be repeated on a more regular basis. Thank you for this forum and all you do to keep it going so that we can communicate about the sport we all love.
I sit on the sideline and read the complaints posted here and on a few occasions have replied to them. But after awhile it just sounds like I'm whining about no racing in Colorado. I grew up in NW Ohio and went to my first race in 1951 at the old Ft. Miami fairgrounds. My first USAC sprint race was in New Bremen in 1962, the day Don Davis was killed. I've seen good tracks,bad tracks and everything in between but I've never lost that rush that comes from getting out of the car in the parking lot and wanting to get to my seat for hot laps. The opportunity for that rush doesn't come very often for me anymore,so pardon me if I don't sympathize with the complainers.
Keep up the good work Bill.

Vern Plotts

1 member likes this post: SCOTT M
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Attn: All track promoters and employees