IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Attn: All track promoters and employees
4/12/11, 10:15 AM   #1
Attn: All track promoters and employees
Bill Gardner
Administrator

Please know that the "silent majority" really do appreciate your efforts to provide us with a track to race on.

This weekends forecast doesn't look very good, so I'm sure it will be another weekend of difficult decisions for all of you.... I just wanted to point out that the majority of us will show up and won't complain.

A friend of mine once told me "my worst day at a race track is better than my best day at work". We love racing, no matter how long it takes or the track conditions.

Now, to the rest of you.... How bout we try to fix that silent majority issue by sending our positive comments via an email or maybe even a post here. Of course that is if you have time.

4/12/11, 10:55 AM   #2
Re: Attn: All track promoters and employees
Drtchsr

Race Count This Year: 34
Race Count Last Year: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Gardner View Post
Please know that the "silent majority" really do appreciate your efforts to provide us with a track to race on.

This weekends forecast doesn't look very good, so I'm sure it will be another weekend of difficult decisions for all of you.... I just wanted to point out that the majority of us will show up and won't complain.

A friend of mine once told me "my worst day at a race track is better than my best day at work". We love racing, no matter how long it takes or the track conditions.

Now, to the rest of you.... How bout we try to fix that silent majority issue by sending our positive comments via an email or maybe even a post here. Of course that is if you have time.
Your 100% correct Bill, however if we post something positive most times it just generates negative posts from those with nothing better to do. I wonder how many of the bashers and whinners sent a comment to Eldora directly about last weekend. My guess would be very few if any. Mr. racefan per Areo Dave Garrison

4 members like this post: cowboyhar69, JCC, speed bump, SprintManDave
4/12/11, 10:55 AM   #3
REH24

Amen Bill, we need more positive than negative criticism especially with economic times we are going through. Let us hope there will never be a time we can't enjoy the sport we love because of the lack of "GOOD" promoters and track crews.

REH

2 members like this post: cowboyhar69, JCC
4/12/11, 10:56 AM   #4
Shawn Harper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Gardner View Post

Bill is right! If not for all the track promoters and track workers we would have no racing!! They may not always get it right, but the effort is there!

2 members like this post: cowboyhar69, JCC
4/12/11, 11:01 AM   #5
illinisprintfan

Bill,
I can't agree with you more. I would have loved to be at Putnamville "enduring" the racing, however I spent the day and well into the night hanging, mudding, and sanding drywall in our bathroom. I don't care how cold, hot, wet, dry, slick, rut covered, delayed, dusty or anything else bad you can descibe the racing Saturday evening. It surely would have beat the heck out of what I was doing!!

1 member likes this post: cowboyhar69
4/12/11, 11:02 AM   #6
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

Very well said Bill. Last Saturday night we went to the IOW/DO Fest at Lincoln Park. RacinBabe and I were just happy to be able to go to a race after a lot of moisture fell in a very short time. It wasn't a typical "Saturday night at the races" We saw some old friends, met some new ones and saw some racing.

We also were entertained with the numerous "adventures" with the ambulance getting stuck, the wrecker dying on track, the lights going out, a very challenging racing surface, etc.... and all of this caused a very early exit on Sunday morning. Driving home we laughed about the evenings entertainment and even though the racing wasn't as good as we would have liked, we still were entertained. A great fireworks show kept us from being bored while the lights came back up. And all of this for only $15.

Promoters are wonderful people who work long hours in hopes of making a few bucks along the way. All of their hard work can go south in very short order by things out of their control; weather, power failure, etc and yet they continue to do this without much fanfare but a ton of complaints and better ways of running their business by the fans who won't come to the track if their favorite driver isn't there.

For all of the keyboard jockeys who "know it all", please do us all a favor and go out and buy a racetrack and show us all how it needs to be done. I want to go to your best run track that offers quality racing with no dust, on time shows, no more than two classes of racing, $10 ticket prices, clean restrooms with hot water, soap and soft towels, take in food and beverage, free valet parking and make sure that the food and drinks in the concession stand are hot/cold and extremely inexpensive. Otherwise I will never come back to your track again.

The expectations of the fanbase is great these days and the promoter will hear about one slip up if he deserves it or not. We need to be careful what we wish for, as it might come true. Fans of Manzanita, USA Speedway, Wayne County and a number of others don't have to worry about that anymore. THEY ARE CLOSED!

Enjoy the races while we can. Tomorrow may not be so racing friendly.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

4/12/11, 12:17 PM   #7
Bill Gardner
Administrator

I'll share a personal story about last Saturday night...

I was having a hard time walking around... my legs were swelling and they hurt. My muscles were cramping up all night. It was hard to move around in the mud. Simply walking to the pit stands left me short of breath. Physically, I was miserable. But for some reason, I was still happy. I had waited all winter... survived another surgery... I was happy for very simple reasons.... I finally was able to smell... hear... and see some racing again. What I didn't know was the best part was still ahead.

It was the IOW / Racin with DO racin fest, It was in some ways an important race to me, mainly because it partially bared the IOW name. I wanted the race to be a success. The rain that fell on Saturday morning did not help. The track conditions were wet and became very rough. I began to feel genuinely concerned about the safety of everyone involved. I didn't blame the track... becasue they made the effort. I didn't blame the teams who loaded without racing... because they tried. It was just a tough night of mix emotions.

After watching the sprint car feature I told Brian Hayden (for those you that don't know, he has been my driver and friend for several years now, we might as well be brothers.)... it's not worth it, if you want to load up that it would be fine with me. He knew how bad I wanted him to win this race. He told me that he would give it a try. Here he is with a broken wrist... no cast... a wet and rough race track and he's going to give it a try... needless to say I was a bit concerned.

He started 6th, took the high line and went on to win a caution free modified race while almost lapping the entire field in the process. As I drove the 4 wheeler on the race track I realized that all the earlier mixed emotions were gone... they were replaced with a WIN!

On that rough and long night, If it weren't for the efforts by the entire LPS staff, none of that would have been possible. I cannot express enough thanks to them.

4/12/11, 12:25 PM   #8
apexonephoto

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 35

As a racetrack employee I appreciate this thread. As a racefan I understand it. My favorite person to go to the track with can't go. I'm certain with as many keystone cops issues that went on, my father would still have enjoyed it.

I know you don't have to be book smart to run a business and be involved in racing, and not all of us have had a great education. But if you are going to hold racetracks to the highest degree of perfection in April (the rainy end of winter), you don't hold much validity when your communication skills match that of a spoiled brat. I really do believe in respecting your elders, but when they are the name calling, ignorant know it alls give me a break.

Also my favorite post is the "it's three hours after a race has been cancelled and three hours before it was supposed to start and it's sunny and 105 degrees here." That doesn't mean the track can be raced on. Thanks Captain Obvious, many of us travel several hours to a race, we aren't afraid of venturing out of the county we were born in. I'm glad you live so close to a racetrack, why don't you takeover and do a perfect job of promoting said track?

4 members like this post: cfdrescue1, Drtchsr, IndyBound, Pat O'Connor Fan
4/12/11, 12:25 PM   #9
jim goerge

I have to agree with all you guys on this point even if I did go off bout Eldora. My point about Eldora was and still is it don"t seem like they try to fix problems are even care. I guess I was so ticked off that I had to vent. I wasn"t at Lincoln Park which for what I have heard and read bout must have been quite entertaining I wouldn"t have said a thing cuz lest they tried puting on a show . I know they useally have a good show weekly. I f If my comments offended anyone on here but eldora promoters and crew I am sorry .

4/12/11, 1:11 PM   #10
miwingless

I very much appreciate all the efforts put forth by the promoters, track owners and sanctioning bodies. Also the drivers, owners and their crews. I have to travel a fair amount to attend what I consider "real" sprint car racing and a "bad day at the track" is much better than no day at all. As far as the races being "an event" (as stated on other threads), I believe it is what you try to make it. If you want to show up at the last minute and get out as soon as you can I have no problem with that. But you can make a race an event by sharing the day with good friends, enjoying some good tailgate food and spending time getting to know new people – every race is an “event” for me!

Thanks for starting this thread Bill and I look forward to many “events” this year. See you all at the races soon!

4 members like this post: 64chevy, bmemmer, cowboyhar69, JCC
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Attn: All track promoters and employees