IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC sprint car drivers Jim Hurtibise & Sonny Ates "nose to nose" - 16 July 1967
2/18/10, 8:20 PM   #31
Re: USAC sprint car drivers Jim Hurtibise & Sonny Ates "nose to nose" - 16 July 1
SUPERDUKE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecil98 View Post
thank you for the info, indy1808!! I was 9 years old and in the infield on the back straight when he died. I'm almost positive it was the iddings car.
it was the 93 car!

2/19/10, 9:08 AM   #32
Re: USAC sprint car drivers Jim Hurtibise & Sonny Ates "nose to nose" - 16 July 1
cecil98

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmojo5 View Post
Jim Hurtubise's last sprint car race was at the Terre Haute Action Track on Halloween Day/Night, 1976 driving the Jones #33. He finished ninth.
The race was won by Chuck Gurney in the Siebert Olds car. The feature was flagged early because of darkness. The Action Track had no lights at the time. It was a bitter cold day that was a makeup date for an earlier race.

The Victory Lane ceremonly could barely be seen because it was so dark.

The thing I most remember, other than Hurtubise, was a large beautiful full moon rising in the sky as I was walking across the fourth turn to go home. In a strange way, it seems a fitting end to Jim's sprint career.

Jim Morrison

Long-time Jim Hurtubise fan
Jim, the very first sprint car I ever drove was the Bob Jones Radiator Spl #34 in June 1980 at Lawrencesburg Speedway. It was a 50 lapper. Would this be the same "Jones" you mentioned above? There is a picture of this car at http://www.moletrapper.com/clinic.html scroll down to the orange #34. Jeff Bloom was the last guy to drive the car (Indiana State Fairgrounds) before I drove it.

2/19/10, 10:48 AM   #33
RichH

I happened to sit behind Sonny at the Night Before The 500 midget show at IRP 4-5 years ago.By keen observation, I notice "Sonny Ates" stitched on his hat.
Anyhow, he was quite pleased that another oldtimer [although not as old as Fish] remembered his racing days in the Iddings 93, especially on the high banks.
When I mentioned his smooth prowess on the high banks, he made an interesting observation, paraphrased...."everybody thought I loved the high banks and I guess in a way I did but they also scared me. I would start to break out with sores the Wednesday before.."
Brave man.

3/26/10, 10:39 AM   #34
Drive25usac
Inactive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmojo5 View Post
I remember Sonny driving the blue No. 25 in 1975. I believe it was the Easton sprinter.
That blue 25 was the Easton car. My dad and I owned it. Dad's name was Bill, and this is Randy Easton. If I remember right our's was the last sprinter Sonny drove.

Here is a picture (I hope) taken at a non USAC race at Winchester. Sonny in car, standing L-R Bill Easton, Mike Cummings, Karl Illg, Bob Hall, and "unknown". I was going to drive the car, but was out of town, and dad put Sonny in the car.

SC0018.jpg

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC sprint car drivers Jim Hurtibise & Sonny Ates "nose to nose" - 16 July 1967