IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Midwest Connection (Offline)
  #1 1/2/10 11:52 PM
USAC sprint car drivers Jim Hurtibise #3 and Sonny Ates #93 come "nose to nose" at Oswego Speedway - 16 July 1967.

Photo by Doug Kranz
Photo source: 1967 Oswego Speedway International Classic Yearbook

Have a good day...see you at the races

Rich - Arnold, Missouri

6 Likes: billwill7, bobO, dirtnonwingfan, JEFFSTOY, midgetmaniac, Red Hat
cecil98 (Offline)
  #2 1/3/10 12:24 PM
I didn't remember Hurtubise was still driving sprinters at that time but, he was! That was a twin 50 lap feature event.
TQ29m (Offline)
  #3 1/3/10 12:39 PM
I guess I'll have to blame it on age, too young then, a lot in between, but Sonny and I "almost" worked together, in our younger years, when we were growing up, there were 2 Ford stores in Columbus, In, Sonny worked at one, I worked at the other, and our paths did cross, but I don't remember him ever saying anything about driving race cars, he was like me, a mechanic, and parts chaser. This was in the early to mid 50's, sure wish I had known it then. I've heard he is living in Florida, now, but he has had quite a career, as I remember, he was a very soft spoken guy, someone you could enjoy knowing, at least I did, many years ago. Maybe SprintmanDave can fill in the gaps, I'm sure Dave Norris could, but I don't believe he's on this website. Just a bit of history, on Sonny Ates. Bob

"Being old, isn't half as much fun, as getting there"! Ole Robert I!
Danny Burton (Offline)
  #4 1/3/10 12:49 PM
Didn't someone mention that Sonny was having medical issues recently?

Bob, I recall Mahan's but what was the other Ford place?

I'll e-mail this link to Mr. Norris, who is residing in Florida full time now. Kerry and his son have taken over the family business.

http://www.hoseheads.com/dannyb.html

Quiet, numbskulls. I'm broadcasting.
bigmojo5
  #5 1/3/10 1:24 PM
Jim Hurtubise's last sprint car race was at the Terre Haute Action Track on Halloween Day/Night, 1976 driving the Jones #33. He finished ninth.
The race was won by Chuck Gurney in the Siebert Olds car. The feature was flagged early because of darkness. The Action Track had no lights at the time. It was a bitter cold day that was a makeup date for an earlier race.

The Victory Lane ceremonly could barely be seen because it was so dark.

The thing I most remember, other than Hurtubise, was a large beautiful full moon rising in the sky as I was walking across the fourth turn to go home. In a strange way, it seems a fitting end to Jim's sprint career.

Jim Morrison
Long-time Jim Hurtubise fan
TQ29m (Offline)
  #6 1/3/10 2:07 PM
Originally Posted by Danny Burton:
Didn't someone mention that Sonny was having medical issues recently?

Bob, I recall Mahan's but what was the other Ford place?

I'll e-mail this link to Mr. Norris, who is residing in Florida full time now. Kerry and his son have taken over the family business.
Danny, I too, have heard that Sonny has had medical issues, maybe from Sandy Lowe, but don't quote me on that. The other Ford dealer, was Harrison Motors, across the street from Justin King's Taxi co, and his beautiful Midgets. Do you remember Leppert Auto Parts, and the Bus co, also located in that area. Harrison Motors, was "dozed". to build Irwin Union Bank. Those "old" days, were full of race cars, and drivers from the Columbus area, not full of loud stereos and "baggie" pants, as it is today. Bob

"Being old, isn't half as much fun, as getting there"! Ole Robert I!
bigmojo5
  #7 1/3/10 2:28 PM
Jim Hurtubise's last sprint car race was at the Terre Haute Action Track on Halloween Day/Night, 1976 driving the Jones #33. He finished ninth.
The race was won by Chuck Gurney in the Siebert Olds car. The feature was flagged early because of darkness. The Action Track had no lights at the time. It was a bitter cold day that was a makeup date for an earlier race.

The Victory Lane ceremonly could barely be seen because it was so dark.

The thing I most remember, other than Hurtubise, was a large beautiful full moon rising in the sky as I was walking across the fourth turn to go home. In a strange way, it seems a fitting end to Jim's sprint career.

Jim Morrison
Long-time Jim Hurtubise fan

---------- Post added at 02:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:28 PM ----------

Well, I see I posted that already
crp26 (Offline)
  #8 1/3/10 4:02 PM
Originally Posted by TQ29m:
I guess I'll have to blame it on age, too young then, a lot in between, but Sonny and I "almost" worked together, in our younger years, when we were growing up, there were 2 Ford stores in Columbus, In, Sonny worked at one, I worked at the other, and our paths did cross, but I don't remember him ever saying anything about driving race cars, he was like me, a mechanic, and parts chaser. This was in the early to mid 50's, sure wish I had known it then. I've heard he is living in Florida, now, but he has had quite a career, as I remember, he was a very soft spoken guy, someone you could enjoy knowing, at least I did, many years ago. Maybe SprintmanDave can fill in the gaps, I'm sure Dave Norris could, but I don't believe he's on this website. Just a bit of history, on Sonny Ates. Bob
I remember Sonny Ates driving the Iddings 93 on the pavement.Ran midgets also and was one of the better pavement drivers around.Super nice guy and always had time to speak to you.I believe he ran Indy a couple times.

Chuck
Bruce Harrison (Offline)
  #9 1/3/10 4:08 PM
Originally Posted by crp26:
I remember Sonny Ates driving the Iddings 93 on the pavement.
Chuck
From Wikipedia:
Charles "Sonny" Ates (born March 28, 1935, Sellersburg, Indiana) is a retired American race car driver.

Ates raced in the USAC Championship Car series in the 1968-1970 seasons, with 15 career starts, including the 1969 Indianapolis 500 (finished 17th). He finished in the top ten 5 times, with his best finish in 5th position in 1968 at Brooklyn.

I believe he held the 1-lap track records at Winchester, Salem, & Dayton at 1 time while driving the #93.
ronmil (Offline)
  #10 1/3/10 5:48 PM
I remember Sonny always being a force at Salem and Winchester in the #93. That car is in the museum at Greenville, Ohio. I believe Sonny drove a Krohne (sp)? Grain Transport sponsored car at Indy. I believe he was a teammate to Mel Kenyon.

Ron Miller