IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > older dually of choice
8/15/12, 5:58 PM   #11
Re: older dually of choice
lovindirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeromotorsports View Post
Was looking at an 06 F350 today. Any input?

Posted via Mobile Device
My boss bought a 6.0; 05 model, first was turbo, then head gasket on pass. side then transmission then white smoke, then one thing after another. 6.0 was worst engine they ever had. Never had a good trans. in them. Went with a Jasper rebuilt. Then shifter problems. Then blower problem, only wants to work on defroster 95% of time. If your a mechanic, and want something to do Buy a Ford. He now owns a Dodge cummins and a 6L gas GM, still drives the 6.0 ford with and extra $11000.00 in it. Oh yes about 4 cam sensors in the 6.0 Ford also.You could go with the older 7.3 but milage sucks bad and everyone knows your coming a mile away. He still has a 95 F350 with the 5th transmission and 3 injector harnesses later. Its strong but gets like 6.5 miles to the gallon.

8/15/12, 6:17 PM   #12
zeromotorsports

Ok, im not getting a ford. Maybe another duramax, 07 or newer. My buddy that bought my 07 said he only had to replace a power steering pump.

Posted via Mobile Device

8/15/12, 7:40 PM   #13
fasster23

My 07 has 104k on it and runs like a top but it's funny you mention the PS pump. Mine is starting to talk a little. The bigger tires and wheels probably don't help. I agree the old Fords were good motors with poor mpg. The transmissions all suck. The post made earlier is spot on. The 06 LLY I believe is the same motor as the LBZ in 2007 just the the LBZ has been tuned to produce more power which makes no difference if you're going to add a tuner yourself. IMO the best thing about a Duramax is its mated to an Allison straight from your own backyard.

Posted via Mobile Device

8/15/12, 8:17 PM   #14
schwarzracen27

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasster23 View Post
My 07 has 104k on it and runs like a top but it's funny you mention the PS pump. Mine is starting to talk a little. The bigger tires and wheels probably don't help. I agree the old Fords were good motors with poor mpg. The transmissions all suck. The post made earlier is spot on. The 06 LLY I believe is the same motor as the LBZ in 2007 just the the LBZ has been tuned to produce more power which makes no difference if you're going to add a tuner yourself. IMO the best thing about a Duramax is its mated to an Allison straight from your own backyard.

Only difference between 06 lly and lbz is tuning, lbz had more power. Lly was early production 06. Either 06 or early 07 are bout the best overall, few minor updates, and tuner, most important.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

---------- Post added at 8:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 8:14 PM ----------

[QUOTE=fasster23;297328]My 07 has 104k on it and runs like a top but it's funny you mention the PS pump. Mine is starting to talk a little. The bigger tires and wheels probably don't help. I agree the old Fords were good motors with poor mpg. The transmissions all suck. The post made earlier is spot on. The 06 LLY I believe is the same motor as the LBZ in 2007 just the the LBZ has been tuned to produce more power which makes no difference if you're going to add a tuner yourself. IMO the best thing about a Duramax is its mated to an Allison straight from your own backyard.

Only difference between 06 lly and lbz is tuning, lbz had more power. Lly was early production 06. Either 06 or early 07 are bout the best overall, few minor updates, and tuner, most important

Posted via Mobile Device

8/15/12, 9:14 PM   #15
Eric C

I have an 02 F350 Dually with the 7.3 (Good One) Power Stroke, only truck I ever bought new, have 150K on it, its pulled a 40ft gooseneck for 1 season a 36 ft gooseneck for 4 seasons and a 24 ft tag the rest of its life, been to racetracks all over the country and have not had one problem with the engine or transmission. Great Truck and will keep it forever, oh and I push snow with it every winter or whenever it snows

Eric Cottongim

8/15/12, 10:10 PM   #16
SteveB31

I had a 99 Ford diesel and a 03 Ford Diesel.Bought both new. Both had numerous brake problems, cam sensors, head gaskets, injectors and glow plug problems. Bought a 05 Dodge new, put 270K on it (all towing) and only two serp belts. No brakes, no nothing at all. Bought a 11 dodge and love it , but the 05 got WAY better mileage. If I could find an 05 Dodge with low milage, id sell my 2011 Dodge to get another 05. 17 MPG towing a 40 foot goosneck. 11 gets 11mpg towing same trailer. Find a 05-06 Dodge with under 100K and you will be a happy guy!!!!

8/15/12, 10:42 PM   #17
Rhody

Race Count This Year: 9

I've been running around the country towing a 24 ft tag along trailer with a 2001 Dodge Ram 3500 with a HO Cummins and a 6 speed. Tows like a champ, eats lower ball joints. Typically get around 12 mpg pulling the trailer. Also use it as my daily driver, get about 19 mpg hwy, 17 mpg city. I'm quite happy with it. My last employer had a fleet of Ford diesels, those things were painful to drive. I would hit the gas, turn up the radio to drown out the engine noise, cringe as I watched the fuel gage plummet, and flip off the line of traffic honking at me as the truck crept away from the line.

Eli Deshaies

8/16/12, 10:11 AM   #18
zeromotorsports

Thanks for all the info, and input. Some times 2cents is golden

Posted via Mobile Device

8/16/12, 6:07 PM   #19
Daboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasster23 View Post

Posted via Mobile Device
Do a power steering flush. Should help the noise and save your hydro boost also. Great info here. http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/ho...ost-flush.html

8/16/12, 11:17 PM   #20
fasster23

Thanks bud. I get on there from time to time, haven't seen that. I'll give it a go.

Posted via Mobile Device

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > older dually of choice