Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > older dually of choice
8/14/12, 10:35 PM   #1
older dually of choice
zeromotorsports

so if you had to buy an older dually, what would you get? maybe 2004 and older
ford?
dodge?
chevy?

and what years would you stay away from and why?

johnny murdock

8/14/12, 11:09 PM   #2
fasster23

I'm a diehard Chevy guy and I own a 2007 Duramax but if you're going with a 2004 Diesel I'd go with the Dodge Cummins. Better mileage than the ford and the Duramax's had cylinder head problems in the earlier years. The Chevy 8.1L gas motor is a horse but has poor mpg. If you can get a late year 2005 or newer Duramax you'd be good to go. My buddy did have a 2002 7.3L Power Stroke that pulled a 48' gooseneck for many years without significant problems though. I imagine you'll probably get some pretty biased opinions cause I'm a Chevy guy so I'd drive the race car to the track before I drove a Dodge and especially a Ford. Diesels are all about maintenance. People think they'll run forever but the newer ones will give you problems if the previous owner didn't routinely change things like fuel filters, etc.

Posted via Mobile Device

8/14/12, 11:14 PM   #3
zeromotorsports

I had the same 07 chevy duramax, and loved it. I sold it when the economy got bad. Im looking to buy some thing used I can pay cash for. And pull a 40 ft trailer

Posted via Mobile Device

8/15/12, 12:45 AM   #4
Re: older dually of choice
lovindirt

I'm a chevy fan myself, but if you want the power and milage, stick with the Diesel people go with the Cummins and chip it and you won't ask for anything better. The Fords are ok but gutless in drive, and transmissions suck all too H. But make sure you CHIP it. You will get better milage and power. A driver drove 5 plus hrs. on a little over a 1/4 tank with the cummins, not loaded and not chipped, so that is great with a 32 gal. tank. Duramax is a good engine and fair power but milage is better then Fords but not as good as Cummins and the Allison trans are nice.

8/15/12, 5:07 AM   #5
flatout18

Race Count This Year: 7
Race Count Last Year: 46

04 1/2 Dodge Cummins H.O.

8/15/12, 3:01 PM   #6
zeromotorsports

Was looking at an 06 F350 today. Any input?

Posted via Mobile Device

8/15/12, 3:12 PM   #7
fasster23

I'm pretty sure the 6.0 is a turd. They have head bolt problems and need to be studded if I remember correctly. Everyone I know refers to them as the 6.NO if I'm thinking of a different year someone correct me. My neighbor has that motor and said once he fixed all the inherent problems with it he likes it.

Posted via Mobile Device

8/15/12, 4:49 PM   #8
Sprintfan1985

Race Count This Year: 27
Race Count Last Year: 55

You are correct. You have to put in head studs and several other things on those trucks. I have several friends that drove 6.0 and loved them at first and then had issues with them. They dropped at least $5,000 in the motor and built it up for more power and better mpg

Posted via Mobile Device

8/15/12, 4:51 PM   #9
schwarzracen27

my .02$. ASE master tech by trade, specializing in light truck diesels, esp GMs, since 04. later 03-04 duramax's didnt seem to have have head gasket problems, 01's and early 02's did, there was a design change. 04.5-05 duramax lly's had head gasket issues, to much heat under hood, poor cooling system passage design in the head. Also had egr and some turbo issues due to the turbo mouthpiece diesign. Generally, if you take care of the egr, pcv and mouthpiece, once you replace head gaskets, usually not to big of a deal, studs are good upgrade. Keep tunes up to 100horse, and your shouldnt have issues. 01-04 dmaxs had injector issues mostly. 03 cummins common rails have close to same design as lb7 injector and have some the same issues, but not like the dmaxs. Ford 6.0s, once your stud em, egr delete them , replace oil cooler, minimal issues. I usually do 6.0's for $2800 parts and labor.
Last edited by schwarzracen27; 8/15/12 at 4:56 PM.

8/15/12, 4:53 PM   #10
ACP

STAY AWAY from Ford 6.0's

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > older dually of choice