IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Destruction of Manzanita Speedway
4/20/09, 9:05 AM   #1
Destruction of Manzanita Speedway
ARIZONAFAN

For anyone who is interested, Mel Martin (former owner of Manzanita Speedway and the person responsible for the closing of the facility) is a member of the Ariz. Motorsports Hall of Fame. There is an online petition to have him removed from the Hall of Fame. After his destruction of Manzanita, it is felt that he does not deserve to have his name associated with names such as Bryan, Ball, Bisch, Weiler, Arnold and Taylor -- ETC. ETC. Anyone wishing to sign the petition may do so at: http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/nomelmartin/

4/20/09, 9:40 AM   #2
Re: Destruction of Manzanita Speedway
LEADERS EDGE

Thats a little rough. If the track could have generated the income that he received for selling it, he probably would have kept it. You're in the middle of what some people feel is the end of the economic world and you have someone offering several seven figures to buy some ground, you're probably going to take it. Is it sad? Yes. As sad as Ascot or for someone like me, the second 16th street Speedway. It sucks, but I don't blame him.

Most promotors are basically benevelount racefans who hope to eventually break even and have the mortgage paid until the day someone wants to purchase the land. I don't know the guy, so I can't comment on him, but he must of felt it was that time for him. Who knows? Maybe something better will come out of it that you can't see yet.

4/20/09, 10:34 AM   #3
dkgphoto

I agree with Scott, This man put his heart and soul into Manzy over the years. I'm sure he thaught long and hard before selling the place. Besides, what he's done for racing over the years got him into the Hall of Fame. When one door closes another always opens, Things happen for a reason!
Dave Gansert
VCS Track Phtographer

4/20/09, 10:37 AM   #4
Bill Gardner
Administrator

It is amazing what people do when they don't get what they want. I agree, that is a little harsh.

4/20/09, 10:53 AM   #5
ARIZONAFAN

Mel only owned the track for 18 months. Keith hall was the man who made manzanita what it was. The truth behind mel's purchase of the facility has come out following the sale - he never intended to keep it in the first place, although he promised the race fans it was there for good.

4/20/09, 10:54 AM   #6
SUPERDUKE
Banned

I wonder how many was there when mel martin promoted aaa & usac champ car races and cra sprint cars on the mile dirt track at fairgrounds??????????

4/20/09, 11:07 AM   #7
TQ29m

I've got to agree with Scott, the old story that "Money talks,and BS walks" hold true for Race Tracks also. It is a race track, but it is also a business, just like farming, seems like there are more people interested in getting a Box Store close to them, than they are a race track, so the Box Store wins, it has bigger bucks behind it. A few years back, we lost a mighty fine racing facility in Columbus, In, a fast half mile, with a 3 turn 1/4 or 3/8 in the middle, didn't take long, till it was a shopping mall, and I think now, some of the tennants wonder if they'll make it thru this year, it is sad, I've never been in a Wal-Wart store, have no desire to go in one, haven't lost a thing in one, my needs are simple, and as long as there are mom and pop stores left, that's where I'll buy what I need, I had my own business for several years, had a lot of good customers, hated to close it down, but no one misses you, service is not an issue anymore, if you don't like it, take it back, the Box Store's have the suppliers over a barrel, so they either give you another one, or return your money, at least that's what I've heard, it's kinda like another old story, "you reap what you sow", I suppose someday, we'll have to import all our food supplies, cause we wanted more big stores to shop in, and to heck with racetracks and downtowns. Folks that have never been in business, don't undertand, that you need to make a profit, in order to keep the business open, and when that lite gets dim, ya gotta do, what ya gotta do. It's a no win situation, you do it, because it makes you feel good, you get a chance to help people, and make a living at the same time, but it's not all roses. Bob
Last edited by TQ29m; 4/20/09 at 11:10 AM. Reason: sp

4/20/09, 12:45 PM   #8
smbpreformance

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARIZONAFAN View Post
Mel only owned the track for 18 months. Keith hall was the man who made manzanita what it was. The truth behind mel's purchase of the facility has come out following the sale - he never intended to keep it in the first place, although he promised the race fans it was there for good.
Wow is Keith Hall becoming the Wests version of Earl.....just trying to help the little guy
I guess people really do over look alot of things don't they

4/20/09, 1:22 PM   #9
TQ29m

I'd kinda call it one of them "watch what ya wish for deals", it appears it is not possible to have both, and once a race track is gone, it's gone, unlike a Wal-Wart, where folks welcome them, a perceived vision, of being able to buy "quality", at a "quantity" price. They now let the buying public, be the "inspector", if there is a problem with the product, the buyer will find it, and, chances are, they won't use it enough, or wear it long enough, to ever know the difference. So it is, in todays world, try to hang on to what you have, it'll never return. Bob

4/20/09, 7:36 PM   #10
TNRustler

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbpreformance View Post
Wow is Keith Hall becoming the Wests version of Earl.....just trying to help the little guy
I guess people really do over look alot of things don't they
Keith Hall as the promoter of Manzanita was alot of things, some good and some not good. While there were many things that were done that were wrong, nobody can deny the fact that it was during Keith Hall's tenure that Manzanita was elevated to national prominence. All the big races and all the traditions at Manzanita started under Keith's promotion. Does that excuse some of the decisions and mistakes that were made? Not at all but like him or not we have to give him credit where credit is due.

As far as Mel Martin, he had a long history of supporting racing in Arizona. Unfortunately I think this is one of those times where he let a decision that is very hard to defend, I know I certainly can't, tarnish a very respected reputation. The sad thing is that instead of being remembered for his contributions to racing, he will probably be most remembered as the man who killed Manzanita.

1 member likes this post: heyalmo
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Destruction of Manzanita Speedway