IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Ft. Wayne 5/8 speedway
3/19/09, 12:54 PM   #11
Re: Ft. Wayne 5/8 speedway
SteveE

Hey Duke, I remember seeing the car Jackson Hegameyer had his accident in at Terra Haute sat in Sherm Allens garage in Ludlow Falls, Ohio, . I heard that Bob King ended up with the car, do you know what ever happened to that car once he got it?

3/19/09, 1:02 PM   #12
SUPERDUKE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevee View Post
hey duke, i remember seeing the car jackson hegameyer had his accident in at terra haute sat in sherm allens garage in ludlow falls, ohio, . I heard that bob king ended up with the car, do you know what ever happened to that car once he got it?
sorry i don't remember bob with that car? What was the car nb.?

3/19/09, 1:15 PM   #13
SteveE

The car was #49 I believe. It was orange and blue. It was beat up pretty bad because of the horrific accident Jackson had, but not beyond rebuilding in that era.

3/19/09, 1:49 PM   #14
SUPERDUKE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevee View Post
the car was #49 i believe. It was orange and blue. It was beat up pretty bad because of the horrific accident jackson had, but not beyond rebuilding in that era.
ok that was sherm's car! I don't think bob got the car? There was several guys in muncie that had some old cars don skeen? Bob skinner?

3/19/09, 6:29 PM   #15
spade

Ran somewhere with Chick Hale in a super modified and I think it was South Anthony back in the late 50's, early 60's on Tuesday night. 1/4 mile asphalt or maybe a 1/5 mile. Memory is fading. Probably ran Fort Wayne 5/8ths as well as Chick ran everywhere back then. Never did much good due to running on a shoestring budget but we had a lot of fun. Did see a MARC race there but I don't remember the date.

3/19/09, 11:01 PM   #16
Circletrack40

Went to FtWayne 5/8 several times, (midget's on the small inside track). At the time I was 12 or 13. At times there was a carnival there behind the grandstand, my buddy and I spent my allowance there. One time the freezer at the consession stand quit working and we got free ice cream. At the end of one year the racing association gave away a new kurtis chassis, Paul Howe won, the car later was the red and white #11 belonging to Virgil Welch, driven by Ed Yeager and Jim Hines and others.

3/20/09, 7:38 AM   #17
SUPERDUKE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circletrack40 View Post
Went to FtWayne 5/8 several times, (midget's on the small inside track). At the time I was 12 or 13. At times there was a carnival there behind the grandstand, my buddy and I spent my allowance there. One time the freezer at the consession stand quit working and we got free ice cream. At the end of one year the racing association gave away a new kurtis chassis, Paul Howe won, the car later was the red and white #11 belonging to Virgil Welch, driven by Ed Yeager and Jim Hines and others.
THE TRACK WAS AT THE FAIRGROUNDS! :applaud:

3/21/09, 5:06 AM   #18
Butch47265

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ29m View Post
Duke, we were lucky to have enough money to go once in a while at Columbus, In, to watch MRA, let alone a 200 mile trip to Ft Wayne! Bob
In 1958 Dave Norris Got upside down & burnt pretty bad in his ol #50 I run a Marcum race there in 1964 Jack Bowsher won I run 6th .. Butch Wilkerson #1:applaud::applaud::checkered::checkered::angry-smiley-007::angry-smiley-007:

6/24/09, 8:12 PM   #19
old time Hoosier

Watched the Mutual Roadsters at Ft. Wayne in early 1950's and Pat O Connor won the feature in the Dutch Hurst Motors #309 powered by a Ford Flathead V8. A few years later we again went to Ft. Wayne to watch the modified stock cars and Mickey Potter, from Ft. Wayne, won the feature.

6/24/09, 8:39 PM   #20
SUPERDUKE
Banned

Sorry! That was joe zimmerman's roadster 309 that pat drove! He was a car dealer at 309 so. Madison muncie! I seen roadsters csra and aaa big cars there!

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Ft. Wayne 5/8 speedway