IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Daytona 500
2/15/09, 10:24 PM   #31
Re: Daytona 500
Jim Halpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6157 View Post
Indy doesn't pay more, doesn't even garner half the TV ratings Daytona does, and Daytona has actually had an increase in attendance over the past 15 years. Fox increased their share of TV rights for sole possession of the Daytona 500, the Indy 500 is probably one or two more years of lower ratings from being broadcast on a network half the country doesn't even get. Not to mention the Coca-Cola 600 outrates the 500 now.

When Scott Dixon is co-hosting Good Morning America, talk to me about "way, way, way bigger than Daytona."

I won't deny to a race fan, the Indy 500 is the more traditional race, but you'd be an idiot if you think the Indy 500 even has a place in pop culture this day in age. It's been easily supplanted by the Daytona 500.
Get your facts straight guy...Indy does indeed pay more, they said on the broadcast today that Daytona sold out last night...and I still saw some empty spots, and another big difference is that Indy makes drivers, not vice versa...what board are you on right now anyway?...I'd take any open wheel race over that stuff any day...yeah, I watched the race today...but there is no other racing currently available at the moment...plus I was pulling for our former 500 champions, John Andretti, and Scott Speed. I would guess over half the country gets ABC, and since when does pop culture matter to a real racing fan? If you want pop culture go watch the NBA All-Star weekend instead.
Last edited by Jim Halpert; 2/15/09 at 10:27 PM.

2/15/09, 10:41 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Halpert View Post
Get your facts straight guy...Indy does indeed pay more,
God I was so hoping you'd say that

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...ry.html?cat=14

http://www.indy500.com/news/10009/In...o_Soar_In_2008

Last time I checked 18 million is a few dollars more than 13.4 million.

I guess I was just taught to respect people who work hard at their sport, to improve their sport, and to make it successful and recognize what the statistics say and not what a handful of message board fans, not race fans, think.

However, I wasn't taught to respect idiots. So you're out of luck.

2/15/09, 11:00 PM   #33
Blake Johnson

The interview with the golden child was verry telling after the race on FOX. He blamed Vickers for the accident. He said it wasn't his fault for going below the yellow line. He basically said NASCAR was wrong and they need to rethink their pit box rules.

Face it Jr., the crappy race performance this week is not NASCAR's fault, it's not Vicker's fault. It is your fault. Learn where the brake pedal is or do you want to blame your team for that too.
Last edited by Blake Johnson; 2/15/09 at 11:13 PM. Reason: spelling

2/15/09, 11:08 PM   #34
VaDirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Halpert View Post
Get your facts straight guy...Indy does indeed pay more, they said on the broadcast today that Daytona sold out last night...and I still saw some empty spots, and another big difference is that Indy makes drivers, not vice versa...what board are you on right now anyway?...I'd take any open wheel race over that stuff any day...yeah, I watched the race today...but there is no other racing currently available at the moment...plus I was pulling for our former 500 champions, John Andretti, and Scott Speed. I would guess over half the country gets ABC, and since when does pop culture matter to a real racing fan? If you want pop culture go watch the NBA All-Star weekend instead.
Jim, maybe you were talking to Dwight at the time, but since when are John Andretti and Scott Speed former 500 champions? Did I miss something?

2/15/09, 11:10 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake Johnson View Post
The interview with the golden child was verry telling after the race on FOX. He blamed Vickers for the accident. He said it wasn't his fault for going below the yellow line. He basically said NASCAR was wrong and they need to rethink their pit box rules.

Face Jr. A crappy race performance this week is not NASCAR's fault, it's not Vicker's fault. It is your thought. Learn where the brake pedal is or do you want to blame your team for that too.
Pitting out of the box has been a one lap penalty for years. I think his attitude is typical of most drivers' attitude about the rules the series: He doesn't know them and only thinks they should be fixed when they affect him negatively.

It was VERY close but he was out of the box, so it's one lap. I noticed a lot of the anti-NASCAR pushers are quiet on that.

2/15/09, 11:20 PM   #36
Rpracing1

If Jr. did what he did to the rest of the field at a dirt track, I think he would get his a$$ kicked.

:thumbsdown:

2/15/09, 11:54 PM   #37
okienonwingfan

I do agree with those that say that the old days of Nascar was better than what we have today. The drivers were drivers and they did not take crap from anyone. This is just my opinion but I think what has made Nascar the way it is today is the TV coverage it gets. In order to be in Nascar it seems that you have to fit an image the broadcast companies want. Such as a Hollywood star. You would not see AJ in today's Nascar for sure.

Erich Petersen

2/16/09, 12:55 AM   #38
Duane Hancock

Quote:
Well thank god the experts here to set us straight on what a "real race" is.

I guess the 43 drivers in the biggest race in the country today were ice skating.
They might as well have been. Its OK, your collection of JR stuff will still be worth 25 cents tommorow too, dont get your MT Dew panties in an uproar.

When you take your NASCAR cool aid glasses off and see that NASCAR is a big joke, like most of the real race fans have over the past few seasons, then come back and talk to us.

PS, please dont stand-up all race long if you happen to stop by a real race some night. It makes the fans that actually know what a race car looks like, without having to stand all race long, mad. Plus, no matter how long you stand, JR wont be at a real race. Hell he cant even run the Prelude at Eldora, dirt might get under his finger nails....
Last edited by Duane Hancock; 2/16/09 at 1:06 AM.

2/16/09, 1:30 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane Hancock View Post
They might as well have been. Its OK, your collection of JR stuff will still be worth 25 cents tommorow too, dont get your MT Dew panties in an uproar.

When you take your NASCAR cool aid glasses off and see that NASCAR is a big joke, like most of the real race fans have over the past few seasons, then come back and talk to us.

PS, please dont stand-up all race long if you happen to stop by a real race some night. It makes the fans that actually know what a race car looks like, without having to stand all race long, mad. Plus, no matter how long you stand, JR wont be at a real race. Hell he cant even run the Prelude at Eldora, dirt might get under his finger nails....
The wonders of the internet: Anyone can sound intelligent if they just assume what they want about anyone.

To the rest of us, you just look like an ignorant fool.

2/16/09, 1:48 AM   #40
Duane Hancock

Quote:
The wonders of the internet: Anyone can sound intelligent if they just assume what they want about anyone.

To the rest of us, you just look like an ignorant fool.
Sorry MR France i wont post bad stuff about JR again....

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Daytona 500