IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > The Future of Midget Racing
2/12/09, 1:45 PM   #31
Re: The Future of Midget Racing
DonMoore10

They have been following the Big Box model :thumbsdown: and their membership has been voting in the purple tire company deal :thumbsdown:. Two wrongs don't make a right. A clear path to Jonestown.

2/12/09, 2:04 PM   #32
Heromaker

You think maybe just maybe if you would stop the bi*ching (cause you get great drivers) you could get some of those Secret Deals you talk about.

Just a thought...........

2/12/09, 2:14 PM   #33
ossuks

Am I the only one that is concerned about the sanity of a particular person? A person that owns a midget then spends hours convincing others how stupid it is? Someone that complains about organizations and then shows up and supports them? Someone that contributes to the "purple monoploy", runs hoosier tires, then bashes others for doing the same? I bet this person has earthquake insurance and is still marveling at how we survived Y2K? I've been listening to this type rant since 1970!!!

There will always be the halves' and the halves' nots!! If you want to play in the deep end then so be it, but, if you can not then find something else. Most modern day teams are owned by fathers that have the money to do as they please, if they want to spend their money thats their buisness, obviously they are smarter than most, or they wouldn't have the most assets. So, if your racing with the rent money do it at a lower level, do not penalize those with cash because your ass is broke, get off the message board and make some money or play where you can afford it.
Last edited by ossuks; 2/12/09 at 2:19 PM.

2/12/09, 2:19 PM   #34
DonMoore10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heromaker View Post
You think maybe just maybe if you would stop the bi*ching (cause you get great drivers) you could get some of those Secret Deals you talk about.

Just a thought...........
This is about the 34th time you've gone off topic on IOW and posted comments about my race team.

2/12/09, 2:24 PM   #35
DonMoore10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossuks View Post
Am I the only one that is concerned about the sanity of a particular person? A person that owns a midget then spends hours convincing others how stupid it is? Someone that complains about organizations and then shows up and supports them? Someone that contributes to the "purple monoploy", runs hoosier tires, then bashes others for doing the same? I bet this person has earthquake insurance and is still marveling at how we survived Y2K? I've been listening to this type rant since 1970!!!

There will always be the halves' and the halves' nots!! If you want to play in the deep end then so be it, but, if you can not then find something else. Most modern day teams are owned by fathers that have the money to do as they please, if they want to spend their money thats their buisness, obviously they are smarter than most, or they wouldn't have the most assets. So, if your racing with the rent money do it at a lower level, do not penalize those with cash because your ass is broke, get off the message board and make some money or play where you can afford it.
And another one for about the 34th time posting off topic and anonymous as usual. Real simple. Don't read my posts. The topic is THE FUTURE OF MIDGET RACING. Try real hard, Mr. Ossuks, next time to post something worth while and intelligent about the subject. Thanks!!
Last edited by DonMoore10; 2/12/09 at 2:40 PM.

2/12/09, 3:21 PM   #36
PARKS

OSSUKS, No your not the only one with questions on sanity. I'm not sure I understand Don's guidelines for posting on a thread though. It sounds like it's okay for Don to take anyone or any organization to task for what ever his current rant is but when someone asks a question of his organization it's somehow off topic and not worth talking about.
Maybe I'm wrong , and I'm sure I am. But am I the only one that sees a topic get started only to have Don turn it into a place to vent his frustrations on a regular basis.
Bob

2/12/09, 3:35 PM   #37
Shooter311

the only solution that would be viable at this point, which in the long run will once again splinter the sport further into the hole would be to create a whole new series. I'm pretty sure esslinger isn't going to stop making 40k motors until they run out of people to sell them to. Powri and other series are going to keep that money that hoosier gives to them because when promoters stop making money...they generally stop having races.

So far all I've seen listed on here is to eliminate pit fees for drivers/owners (still no way to decide or limit car ownership...100 people could own a car), eliminate tire deals (with this plan someone will just buy more wheels and tires and put on a new RR every race...which will be deemed unfair by those who don't buy tons of tires) and the final solution is to tell esslinger to stop making motors (I'm not sure they're going to go for that).

Where the above listed "solutions" probably aren't going to happen any time soon....
Can a new series be started?
Would drivers/owners be interested in ideas of sealed motors, spec tires, HP limiters, mandated gear selection/ratios per track..etc....

2/12/09, 4:32 PM   #38
DonMoore10

Now we have three people posting off topic material. Guys, as much as you'd like it to be, the thread is not about my race team. And I'm actually questioning Parks and Ossuks sanity for continually posting off topic. You two do have one thing in common: You're both race officials. Enjoy each others company.

To Shooter311: First of all, congratulations on posting on the topic.

1. Yes, Esslinger can make all the motors they want but there can be rules passed that will take the horsepower advantage away from these high priced engines. A different combination of wheel size/tire compound could be one of the solutions.

2. The purple tire company is paying big sums of money to the orgs they contract with to maintain the monopoly. Supposedly, part or all of that money is going to a points fund. Nobody knows if that is actually happening. That seems to be a big secret. Further, some teams get tires for free, some at reduced costs and the majority are paying $140-180 a tire. I'd like to hear from someone as to how this is fair to all the race teams considering that we are forced to buy one tire brand.

3. There is a simple solution to the pit pass/ownership saga. One owner entry fee/pit pass fee waiver per team.

4. Regarding buying several tires per evening: Simple solution there also. Stamp the tires at a certain point in the evening, say, just before the heat race.... and you must run that tire for the rest of the evening.

There are solutions to most of the problems that face midget racing today. Unfortunately, people like Ossuks, Parks, Heromaker don't want to think beyond "that's the way it's always been done". With 50% less cars particpating in BMARA events, it looks to me like Parks (BMARA official) needs to spend more time in his back yard and spend less time worrying about my race operation.

2/12/09, 5:09 PM   #39
Revolution Racing

Geez Louise people... Can't we all just get along?

Seriously, I just went through and read everything on this thread, and I gotta say some of you guys are would a little tight. Since I kinda sorta started this, let me just toss in my .02;

I love the "National" programs. And for those who can still afford to run there, my hat is off to you. Some of the nicest folks I know in racing are also some of the ones who are blessed enough to run at the top level of our sport. Galedridge, Josett, Kaplan, Faas, Wagner - and so many more. These are families where dad has the money, kid drives the car, and everybody has a good time - God bless 'em. (by the way, anytime Josett is at the track, go by the hauler after the races - great chili. Just sayin'...) These people WILL keep "national" level Midget racing alive, but it won't be like it used to be. Ever go to an unlimited hydroplane race? It's six boats, and they race 'em lined up every which way in a series of events to try and make it look like a show. I hope I'm wrong, but I think if we are not careful, thats what the National Midget program will begin to look like...

But that's the bad news. The GOOD news is that we don't all have to race there. For those who want more affordable racing, there are choices out there for you. And, as someone on this board pointed out, if you don't like the choices in your area, turn off the computer, get off your butt and do something about it!

P S... I'm turning off my computer right now. I'm doing something about it. Stay tuned....

2/12/09, 5:19 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonMoore10 View Post
Try real hard, Mr. Ossuks, next time to post something worth while and intelligent about the subject. Thanks!!
You first, Don, you first.

But since I'm in a jovial mood today, I'm not going to pick on Don any further.

I will say he is right that some cost containment could be looked at. Tire rules, one engine a night rules, exotic metals, carbon fiber, and the body rules could be looked at as well. While I don't agree with Don that money should be "contained", I do think wasteful spending is out of hand: Four or five tires a night, titanium, carbon fiber bodies are not things absolutely essential to Midget racing.

Come on, Don. Give me a hug now, you big lug.

I'm also not a venomous towards USAC as Don is. Many have questioned the new management but I think the changes we've seen shown they're working behind the scenes to improve the company for everyone's benefit. I know it's not a short term fix for a short term problem, it'll take time and patience and I think it'll happen.
Last edited by 6157; 2/12/09 at 5:21 PM. Reason: Last paragraph

Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > The Future of Midget Racing