IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Gold Crown Racing Series?
12/23/08, 7:48 PM   #31
Re: Gold Crown Racing Series?
usac14

Everyone seems to forget that one of the main reasons USAC decided to do something different was because they were loosing tracks that wanted to pay the Silver Crown purse....I think this years schedule shows what's going to happen. Loose races or lower the PURSE. Lowering the purse will leed to lower car counts....If you don't believe me....What about the failed PRA?

12/23/08, 8:38 PM   #32
sc96

USAC 14 BINGO YOU HIT THE NAIL SQUARE ON THE HEAD.But you have now opened a can of worms and prepare to be flamebroiled.Some people just want to cry the blues and will never never be satisfied.But you are correct in your statement.

12/24/08, 12:15 AM   #33
racephoto1

One problem about your purse question USAC14. If I'm a promoter and don't want to pay a Silver crown purse, what is the reason I would want to pay a gold crown purse ? Good line of questioning , but I don't see a difference.

RandyRad, if roadsters are beautiful, and they are, they don't need sidepods and wings. Leave that for ISMA.

12/24/08, 12:26 AM   #34
randyrad

sc96 - What's the answer? What will it take to make it work? Run as a support series for IRL & NASCAR, to sustain the series? If that's what it takes to get it up & running, so be it. Combine it with a few USAC multiclass events, for us true believers. I'd go to both, especially if it were the day before the IRL or main NASCAR race. Even now, my preference would be to run both the Sprints & SC on IRL qual day at Richmond , so I could get in & out in 1 day, see all the USAC races + the IRL's qual (then nap through the IRL race on tv).

I could also live with seperate series for GC pavement & an all dirt SC , if they could double up on some of the miles & add enough 1/2 miles to make it a true series.

I have that same unsettling feeling as when the new SC car rolled out in '05 - this is the beginning of the end for the SC dirt races, which would now likely mean the end of SC completely.

I really hope the GC succeeds - in a big way.
I just don't want to lose the Dirt Champ Cars in the process.
Just one fans preference (who'll drives a long way & buy tickets).
Thanks for your insights.

12/24/08, 12:39 AM   #35
randyrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by racephoto1 View Post
RandyRad, if roadsters are beautiful, and they are, they don't need sidepods and wings. Leave that for ISMA.
I agree with you on the look, but beauty alone won't keep it from getting too loose or airborne at lap speeds > 150mph. Not sure a belly pan would do enough in that regard, either. It has enough roadster heritage for me to see the tradition retained (more than I expected to see), yet it still looks modern.
Watching roadsters barrel roll is something I hope to never see again. It got pretty ugly there, towards the end.

12/24/08, 8:26 AM   #36
sc96

Let me answer the question of why the sidepods,SAFETY the goldcrown cars are running around 215 mph at the end of the straights on the 1.5 mile tracks I do beleave that is what they clocked A.Pierce at. So in the event of a side impact the sidepods put space between driver and wall. They also keep cars from jumping tires,And at those speeds they help keep them stable as far as air {helps keep them airo neutral}

12/24/08, 8:30 AM   #37
mac miller

Actually, even if these guys ever come up with a technically and aesthetically acceptable car, which they are, currently, a very long way from doing, they still have the insurmountable financial problem of replacing the exceedingly generous, nascar subsidized, prize money.

When nascar had enough and pulled the plug on the money, they told their track managers that the prize money would no longer be coming from the nascar piggy bank and that, if the track managers wanted to continue with these cars, the prize money would be coming out of the track bank account. The track managers said "no way".... and it was over, instantly. The fact is that the money that these guy were being overpaid, by nascar, will be impossible to replace.

After, two painful seasons these cars went from being advertised as "the next big deal" to being Thursday afternoon "time waster" between nascar pickup truck qualifying and nascar busch league practice.

Another thing these guys better do, if they want to be "big league", is to present, at least, 300 miles of racing during the day, like the "pro level" series do.
This could be done as a 300 mile race with pit stops or three 100 mile races, but 100 laps on a 3/4 mile track is hardly "major league" racing.

And finally, If you ever want to be taken seriously, GET RID OF THE WHEEL BUMPERS, FAIRINGS, SPATS, SURROUNDS OR ANYTHING ELSE THAT PROTRUDES BEYOND THE INSIDE EDGES OF THE TIRES......

Here's a hint! start here V
Last edited by mac miller; 1/24/09 at 8:39 PM.

12/24/08, 8:53 AM   #38
sc96

The question on what will it take to make it work? The plan is to run with NASCAR and IRL and I think that is where we have to be to get started and draw in a fan base.We already know the hardcore traditionalist are not going to be our major supporters.We need to bring in new fans that will support the series based on the quality of racing.As for the purse I think the plan is to make it like a base pay deal 1st throung last make close to the same money then at the end of the year there will be a cash payout based on where you finished in points.I think Nascar had something like this at one point.Then at some point I think Goldcrown would be able to run as a standalone series.These cars are built to run large tracks,We need to get them to the speedway.And I know those talks have been going on but it is still very early.

12/24/08, 9:05 AM   #39
sc96

MAC has some very good points the Goldcrown cars do need to run races longer than 100 miles.In one meeting that point was talked about not sure where it will go but it was brought up.As for the pods sticking beyond the tires I think the new body work has addressed this.I know Bruce Ashmore has been working on this stuff why not call him up and lay out some of your ideas.

12/24/08, 9:06 AM   #40
racephoto1

Like I said before, run IMS and you have instant crediability. You still have to get people to pay the purse no matter where you run. You can't gloss over that issue. Most tracks where so upset the last time this serious ran, it will be hard to get them to bite again.

Hitching your wagon to the IRL and Nascar is tough. It wasn't succesful the last time, what will you do this time to make it work? You have got to make it stand alone, because it couldn't stand when it was with someone.

Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Gold Crown Racing Series?