IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > New Munchkins to enter fray at Buckeye Bowl Indoor Midget Nationals
10/25/08, 9:16 PM   #11
Re: New Munchkins to enter fray at Buckeye Bowl Indoor Midget Nationals
buck2

Specialized cars are the norm these days. Dirt cars, pavement cars, indoor cars...teams have short track motors and long track motors. It is just the way racing has evovled. Racers are always looking for a competitive advantage

10/25/08, 10:01 PM   #12
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebus79h View Post
May get crapped on for it, but yeah, Stewart is fairly dominant there. Big deal. Stanbrough won a whole bunch of races in a DRC, so nobody should run those either. I've seen cars that shouldn't win races win races with good drivers, and truth be told, love him or hate him, Stewart is the best race car driver of my time. I wasn't around for Foyt or Andretti's hay day, or the Gary and Larry show.
I never questioned Stewart's, Mikes or anybodys credentials. The only thing I mentioned is Tony buying the Munchkins.

Have fun, The only reason I brought this up is that I seen a race at Winchester where David Steele and one other car were specific cars and they both lapped the field. I haven't been back to a asphault race since except a Rumble Series Practice day. In my mind thats not short track racing when cars dominate by a lap.

Chuck, if the rules allow it, I got no problem with it and all participating will know that going in.

10/27/08, 9:36 AM   #13
Tony Barhorst

Chuck,

I understand your concern about the effect the Munchkin will have on competition.

One item that many may not have noticed is the VW powered cars had been allowed to run a 12 inch right rear wheel as per the USAC rule book. All other cars needed to be on a 10 inch wheel. I have taken away the 12 inch wheel and all cars need to be on a 10" wheel from now on.

The Munchkin was legal before Tony Stewart entered our races...and it will be legal after he decides to hang up the Munckin wheel.

By the way...will anyone be dressed up as a Munchkin for Halloween? Maybe a photo op?

Best,
Tony Barhorst
rumbleseries.com

10/27/08, 12:49 PM   #14
Go Fast

Race Count This Year: 3

Will a 10" left rear wheel still be allowed? It was necessary when all were running the indoor tires, as it was extremely hard to get enough stagger on an 8" LR wheel.
Now that it has been an open tire rule for the last couple years, is the 10" LR still needed?

And not trying to stir up anything or anyone, but will Stewart even be there this year after the events that unfolded at Liberty and the comments that were made?
He knows what it means to let your emotions get the better of your judgement, so maybe he understood the passion driving the statements, or didn't even care.

Blast away.

I never had a bad day, just some more challenging than others!

10/27/08, 1:13 PM   #15
TQ29m

I guess coming from a meager background, makes me somewhat different, but I don't think we should be limited by what something costs. If someone is innovative enough to engineer and build something "different", and usually, because of the circumstances, less expensive, and available to other competitors, why put a damper on it. I like things simple, and I think it's also easier to control, if it's simple, too many "rules" allow too many interpretations, good example, Nicecar, now just how much can you "cheat" with material thickness, I know, the rulebook has a spec on that also, but is it worth $100,000.00 fine? I hate "spec" classes, and "spec" tires, give me a "rule" on wheelbase, width, chassis material, engine "rule", and let me fill in the middle, it's self controlling that way, not many ways to "cheat" if you keep it simple. I don't think the Munchkin worries anyone with a straightup midget, every racer worth his salt, likes the Winter series, indoors, and I've seen a lot of them run, and usually I feel like it's more driver, than it is design. Bob

10/27/08, 7:27 PM   #16
Tony Barhorst

Tis the season for polls...and this may be a good time for a new one...

Will Tony Stewart run any Rumble Series events in 2008?

10/27/08, 9:36 PM   #17
davex

obviously not or you would be advertising it to get people there. got to admit he does draw in a big portion of the fans

10/27/08, 11:00 PM   #18
Heromaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Barhorst View Post
Tis the season for polls...and this may be a good time for a new one...

Will Tony Stewart run any Rumble Series events in 2008?
And with what you said about his team at the debacle in Liberty..... I am voting not!!!!!

10/28/08, 9:22 AM   #19

Going back to the munchkins being bared, that would be crazy. if the car was that dominate, why hasn't mat esteep been makeing every single feature. This is not a dis twords mat, because i think he is very smart getting his (masters I think, at least degree). You can no throw a type of car out just because its driver is the most tallented driver out there. When Tony shows up this winter watch closely, show me any other driver that wants to win that race as bad as tony. He is like a man possesed. No one runs there car as hard as Tony does. I do not see the libery debacle keeping Tony away, Where else would he race those cars?

10/28/08, 9:45 AM   #20
Tony Barhorst

Here is a drivers list of who will be at Columbus so far, as we expect entries on race day.

Champions To Enter Buckeye Bowl Indoor Midget Race

Kevin Olson To Enter

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- A partial list of the drivers that will enter the Buckeye Bowl Indoor Midget Car Nationals, a new indoor race event date at the Ohio State Fairgrounds Coliseum on Saturday, Nov. 1, has been compiled.

The event combines the National, Regional, Kenyon and Ford Focus Cars running a full show with a 60-lap feature . The pits open at 7:30 a.m., with the main gate opening at noon. Time trials are set for the midgets at 4 p.m., with a full midget event after 7:00 p.m. on Saturday, Nov. 1.

Drivers that intend to compete at press time include 2008 KISS Champion Jon Stanbrough, former ARDC and ISMA Champion Lou Cicconi, Jr, , 2006 Turkey Night Grand Prix Champion Billy Wease,2008 MSA Supermodified Champion Tim Jedrzejek, 2008 HOSS Sprint Car Champion Geoff Kaiser, former NAMAR champion Matt Westfall, and 2008 USAC Midwest and Indiana Ford Focus Champion Kyle Hamilton is entered.

Indy Car Series pit reporter Kevin Olson will enter . He will drive a newly acquired car car owned by Rick Daugherty and sponsored by Peterbilt Of Northwest Ohio. Daugherty owns the 0 car Dave Darland has driven in Rumble series events. John Stanbrough is slated to drive the 0 in Columbus.

Olson, a two-time USAC National Midget racing champion (1982, '87), was inducted into the USAC National Midget Hall of Fame in 1997. He also was a five-time Badger Midget Racing Association champion and was a member of the USA team that won the International Championship Series.

Tyler Nuckles, Joe Liguori, Tom Tolbert, Kim Hughes, Mike Osite, Brian Buttler, Mike Fedorack,Virginia Quinones, Rich Corson, Grant Galloway, Dave Fuhrman, Ryan Klingenhoper and ARCA driver Brandon Knupp have also pre entered. Entries will be accepted through race day in all classes.

The Outlaw Modified 600 cc Midgets take off their wings to run their full show and a 50-lap feature. The Lucas Oil Quarter Midgets, and Junior Sprints will also compete. Slots are still open for entries in all divisions. The quarter midgets classes are for junior, senior, heavy, light 160, and heavy 160 Honda.

The Rumble Series kart classes will have a 50-percent raise in payout this year for Columbus. The karts classes will feature Briggs senior medium, senior heavy, junior heavy, senior champ caged karts, and junior sportsman caged karts will compete.

The load in starts at noon on Oct. 31 with practice running from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. There will be a load in, practice and Halloween Pit Party on Friday, Oct. 31 from 6 to 11 p.m. The party has a cash bar, costume and karaoke contest for cash and prizes. Fans may also watch practice that night for $5.00.

“The best part our series plays is the unique showcase it is for new talent like 2007 Fort Wayne winner Billy Wease, and 2007 Columbus winner Blake Fitzpatrick,” said Barhorst.

Car owners fielding midgets for this year’s five-race indoor Rumble Series will be competing for a new $7,020 points championship. Several new cars will be fielded at this years indoor events. The fund will be sponsored by Classic Motorsports president Tony Barhorst and two-time Rumble in Fort Wayne winner Tony Elliott, president of Elliott’s Trailer Connection of Warsaw, Ind.

The Columbus event has race headquarters hotel rates at the Howard Johnson Inn of $57.21 by calling 614-262-4000, and also at the Fort Rapids Indoor Waterpark Resort of $98.63 by calling 1-877-337-7527.

Entries will be available by e-mailing _tbracefest@aol.com_ (mail to:tbracefest@aol.com) , or calling 937-369-3693 for event information. Tickets for all the events are available at all TicketMaster outlets and www.ticketmaster.com. Reserved seats at the start finish line are $25.00 for adults, and general admission tickets are $18.00. Tickets for kids 12 and under are $10.00. Halloween Party Camping is also available with water and electric hookups for $25.00 at the Ohio State Fairgrounds Expo Center.

We have a deal with the Clarion Hotel now...a lot better...the rate is $62.55 with taxes included.

Contact Jenine MCoy...reservation line is 614-880-8031...ask for Classic Motorsports racers rate....

Here is the webpage for the hotel: http://www.clarionhotel.com/hotel-co......1&nchild5=0

Here is a map to the hotel. It is at exit 117. The Ohio Expo Center is only 5 miles south on 71, right off of exit 111.

http://www.clarionhotel.com/hotel-co......ld5=0&map=n

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > New Munchkins to enter fray at Buckeye Bowl Indoor Midget Nationals