IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 12 Year Old Wins POWRi Midget
9/7/21, 7:33 PM   #11
Tqcrazy

I believe a 12 year old with 6 or 7 years of racing experience is much better than a 30 year old with no experience. I understand there is a danger factor but there is danger in which ever class they choose to run in….was this his first time in a midget or was this posted because he won🏁🏁🏁

4 members like this post: 95KART, JarrettFarms73, jim goerge, tirespinner
9/8/21, 9:22 AM   #12
JarrettFarms73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tqcrazy View Post
I believe a 12 year old with 6 or 7 years of racing experience is much better than a 30 year old with no experience. I understand there is a danger factor but there is danger in which ever class they choose to run in….was this his first time in a midget or was this posted because he won🏁🏁🏁
In the same vein, i’m ok with a minimal skills test similar to IMS rookie days. I think you’re spot on with regard to an experienced youngster with tangible skill vs. a 30 yr old newbie.
My concern is the parents who think their kid is more talented than what they really are. Age limit of 14 with an exemption available when the have 5 consecutive years of non rookie class experience. But… Absolutely nothing bigger than 1/4 mile track the first year.

My thinking is to make the car available but deincentivise the choice to make the jump early.

1 member likes this post: Ken Bonnema
9/8/21, 11:18 PM   #13
Re: 12 Year Old Wins POWRi Midget
Ray3

The POWRI rule book says you have to be 14. However, they say exceptions can be made and it is up to the Director of Competition. Sure wish USAC and POWRI would adhere to their rule books. Leaving things up to a single individual to decide is dangerous territory to get into. If the kid gets hurt or hurts someone else wouldn't the Director of Competition then be liable in a court of law?
Last edited by Ray3; 9/8/21 at 11:24 PM.

2 members like this post: captrat, sw1911
9/9/21, 3:13 PM   #14
Re: 12 Year Old Wins POWRi Midget
hoscalecody

I think it's funny that a few years ago (2017 I think.) A lot of people on IOW were praising the idea of a 13 year old Michigan kid getting into a 410 winged sprint car. But now have a problem with a 12 year old in a midget. I was one of the only ones saying the kid shouldn't be in a sprint car and got flamed over being against it, several bad bad pm's too.

Now that I think of it Zeb Wise was pretty young when he got in a midget and a lot of people were praising him. If i remember correctly he was only 14 or 15.

My worry is how a younger kid is going to be in a wreck. With concussions and some other injuries. I had a bad flip at Montpelier and had a severe concussion at around 20. I have some memory loss and other issues because of it. It's been 3 years since it happened too. Also the fact of does a kid actually know the consequences of if he throws a bad slider, he could seriously hurt or kill a person.

I still stand my opinion on it, that until you're 16 you shouldn't be in anything bigger then a lightning sprint/D2 midget or anything even that is iffy. Then once 16 maybe a 305-360. But for 410 sprint car or national midget not until 18.

6 members like this post: captrat, erich45, jdull99, jjones752, Pitdad, Rcar
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 12 Year Old Wins POWRi Midget