IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Double file restarts
7/28/20, 12:09 PM   #21
Re: Double file restarts
Ray3

Don't be like NASCAR and fix something that isn't broke. That is how you lose fans. Single file restarts is the only way to go. All double file restarts do is tear up equipment and create smaller car counts because people can't afford to keep fixing their stuff.

7/28/20, 7:05 PM   #22
cmakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfan49 View Post
at many tracks the row you are in can be a huge penalty or huge advantage. You see a lot of cars go to the back and make it back toward the front in traditional sprints and midgets. The cars in the back have options that give them passing opportunities they wouldn't have if they were trapped to one line or the other for several laps until it gets sorted out. Other types of cars can't dart and maneuver like traditional sprints or midgets can so it works better. We are watching probably the most competitive racing in the country with traditional open wheel, why screw it up?
Now this isn't sprint car or dirt, but the pavement track I shoot at in Houston is one groove. this year, they started a new way to line up for the restarts. After the cars are in the right order, single file, they put a cone in the middle of the fronts stretch. The cars that want to play it safe can restart on the low side, and the other brave ones have the choice of moving up to the less favorable high side. Not saying that this would work for dirt sprint cars, but it is interesting.

1 member likes this post: Ken Bonnema
7/28/20, 9:27 PM   #23
brsteg

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmakin View Post
Now this isn't sprint car or dirt, but the pavement track I shoot at in Houston is one groove. this year, they started a new way to line up for the restarts. After the cars are in the right order, single file, they put a cone in the middle of the fronts stretch. The cars that want to play it safe can restart on the low side, and the other brave ones have the choice of moving up to the less favorable high side. Not saying that this would work for dirt sprint cars, but it is interesting.
I'm not a big fan of choose restarts. Seavy is pro however.

1 member likes this post: PIT CART
7/29/20, 12:49 PM   #24
Larry G.

Have not yet seen any logical reasons supporting single file restarts in open wheel racing. The suggestion that double file restarts causes more damaged race cars is not supported by empirical data—could be just the opposite.

1 member likes this post: dirtfan98
7/29/20, 2:55 PM   #25
BLASTER1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry G. View Post
Have not yet seen any logical reasons supporting single file restarts in open wheel racing. The suggestion that double file restarts causes more damaged race cars is not supported by empirical data—could be just the opposite.
This....^^^^^

7/29/20, 5:21 PM   #26
kb78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry G. View Post
I believe that their is the same amount of reasoning supporting single file as their is supporting double file restarts- personal preference.

I don't like the idea of the leader all of the sudden having to give up his advantage because the dude in 14th place spun out. How many times has a guy got hosed on the starts because the car in front of him stumbled or spun the tires and the other row blows by? Here I am running 5th and the guy in 10th spins, so I restart right beside the guy in 6th now who I just passed two laps ago. Now on the restart the guy in third has his motor stumble and I am caught behind him and before I know it I have lost 3 or 4 positions because of none of my own mistakes.

I love sprint car racing and have for 50 years now, sometimes the race for the lead just isn't going to be a nailbiter and that's okay by me. I will watch the race for fifth or tenth or where ever it is. I don't like the idea of making changes just for the sake of change, soon enough you look around and can't even recognize the sport you love.

4 members like this post: erich45, mc/rider, sjracer26, spicoli
7/29/20, 5:29 PM   #27
sp6967

nascar has double file restarts.........stupid is, as stupid does.

2 members like this post: captrat, spicoli
7/29/20, 5:48 PM   #28
Rhody

Race Count This Year: 9

The leader already has an advantage, he picks his lane on the restart, and picks his line on the track. People complain about front row winners, why make it any easier. If a guy gets a lousy draw and is stuck in the back, why make it harder for him to come forward. Like I said earlier, cones ruin plenty of races. If the guy in third is on a mission, and loses 7 car lengths because the guy in 2nd spun his tires, well, his race got ruined. On a double file, once the leader goes it's game on, so if the guy in front of you spins his tires, just drive on by and keep racing. The only thing I hate more than single file is the damn Delaware re-start.

1 member likes this post: dkdorkboy
7/29/20, 6:44 PM   #29
kb78

Mechanic-"How was the car?"
Driver- " Oh the car was bad and I'm not that good either but I jumped every restart and got a top five anyway."
Mechanic- " Cool, that's what racing is supposed to be!"

7/30/20, 1:05 PM   #30
Rhody

Race Count This Year: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb78 View Post
Mechanic-"How was the car?"
Driver- " Oh the car was bad and I'm not that good either but I jumped every restart and got a top five anyway."
Mechanic- " Cool, that's what racing is supposed to be!"

or "Everyone else was asleep on restarts and I can read minds"

To me restarts are part of the game, just like qualifying. I am lousy qualifier, but good on restarts, so I like double file restarts. I don't complain about TT races, even though I can qualify 30th in a 28 car field.
Last edited by Rhody; 7/30/20 at 1:06 PM. Reason: spelling

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Double file restarts