IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Indycar Attendance?
5/3/17, 10:52 PM   #31
Rhody

Race Count This Year: 9

My last 3 Indycar races have been Sonoma. Before that was Richmond 2001. I like the oval races, but they are so damn dependant on getting the package right. I like it when the cars don't want to hook up and a missed setup puts you 3 laps down. A lot of fans hate that, they want the race to look like a NASCAR race. I won't travel over 2 hours to see an Indycar race. The driver names don't bother me, I just don't lile that there is no path that doesn't involve "Bring lots of money" to get into Indycars. We currently have 3 money toting crash test dummies in the series and I assume Lance Stroll will be added to that number soon. I would prefer to see someone in one of those seats who got there by winning their ass off in **** equipment, but it will never happen.

1 member likes this post: Bostonian
5/4/17, 6:19 AM   #32
Re: Indycar Attendance?
Gregg

My last is the 2013 Indy 500.

A lot of what I went to Indy for is gone. I went in an era of "there's an Eagle, a Coyote, a Gerhardt, a Mallard, a Brabham, a Watson, an Offy, a Ford/Foyt, a Repco, a Gurney-Weslake, a turbine... Today I see a yellow ugly car, a white ugly car, a red ugly car, Chevy or Honda?? I dunno!

Back then the drivers were a major attraction. Not so much now. I can't tell you right now who won last years race. I was glad to see Bryan run. Happy that Kurt Busch ran the 500. If just 3 of our guys would run the 500 I would be back to stay. For starters, there is no reason short of $$$$ that Windom or Kody Swanson shouldn't be there. They can run pavement.

But it isn't all bad. Having Alonzo is important and it would be nice if it would lead to Lewis coming too. Add Larson and Jimmie from NASCAR and the aforementioned Chris and Kody and you just may have the place sell out months in advance again.

Don't count me out. If I can shake loose a ticket from my brother-in-law I may go. I would like to see Alonzo run.
Last edited by Gregg; 5/4/17 at 6:20 AM.

5/4/17, 11:05 AM   #33
Aces&Eights

Race Count This Year: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
My last is the 2013 Indy 500.

A lot of what I went to Indy for is gone. I went in an era of "there's an Eagle, a Coyote, a Gerhardt, a Mallard, a Brabham, a Watson, an Offy, a Ford/Foyt, a Repco, a Gurney-Weslake, a turbine... Today I see a yellow ugly car, a white ugly car, a red ugly car, Chevy or Honda?? I dunno!

Back then the drivers were a major attraction. Not so much now. I can't tell you right now who won last years race. I was glad to see Bryan run. Happy that Kurt Busch ran the 500. If just 3 of our guys would run the 500 I would be back to stay. For starters, there is no reason short of $$$$ that Windom or Kody Swanson shouldn't be there. They can run pavement.

But it isn't all bad. Having Alonzo is important and it would be nice if it would lead to Lewis coming too. Add Larson and Jimmie from NASCAR and the aforementioned Chris and Kody and you just may have the place sell out months in advance again.

Don't count me out. If I can shake loose a ticket from my brother-in-law I may go. I would like to see Alonzo run.
I feel you, Bro. I wonder if the issue isn't just too much corporate say so in how things are run and what is and what isn't allowed. The same mindset as having a crate series that only allows one manufacturer or changing the name of the track to be some companies name. I was a dirt late model guy for 30 years and I can say unequivocally it was better when we didn't have 2 powerhouse sanctions calling all the shots. Use to be you went to a special event you didn't know who would show up and that was part of the appeal. The same with Indy, there use to be magic and mystery, what wonderful creation might show up this May. Now it seems to be dictated by the check writers, no passion, no mystery, just cookie cutter look alike ugliness. I've been an open wheel fan for less than a year, but those weird pod things behind the rear wheels are just horrible looking. I understand their intention, but dang, think harder. JMO.

1 member likes this post: streetglider
5/4/17, 11:46 AM   #34
jjones752

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces&Eights View Post
I feel you, Bro. I wonder if the issue isn't just too much corporate say so in how things are run and what is and what isn't allowed. The same mindset as having a crate series that only allows one manufacturer or changing the name of the track to be some companies name. I was a dirt late model guy for 30 years and I can say unequivocally it was better when we didn't have 2 powerhouse sanctions calling all the shots. Use to be you went to a special event you didn't know who would show up and that was part of the appeal. The same with Indy, there use to be magic and mystery, what wonderful creation might show up this May. Now it seems to be dictated by the check writers, no passion, no mystery, just cookie cutter look alike ugliness. I've been an open wheel fan for less than a year, but those weird pod things behind the rear wheels are just horrible looking. I understand their intention, but dang, think harder. JMO.
They're trying; google the 2018 aero kit and you may be pleasantly surprised.
It's easy to blame the current regime on the state of affairs but innovation costs a lot more than it used to; the last throes of CART were as a spec series too, and there wasn't much variety when March came along in the Nineties, just because that was a cheap way to go just as fast as the next guy.
Funny nobody calls the Offy era "spec racing"; sure, you could do something different if you wanted and there was some chassis variation but there was also a lot of Chrome Eagle Theory stuff going on...
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, chrismattlin, Tom23
5/4/17, 8:11 PM   #35
Andrew S. Quinn

My only Indy car race was at Loudon, New Hampshire in 1998 I believe. It was held along with their "Vintage Celebration" so if you bought a pit pass to get in for the Vintage stuff,you also got to go in the pits at with the Indy cars.

They had an autograph session,and my friends and I got to chat with Donnie Beechler,and the Cahills that owned his car,the same Cahills that fielded sprint cars at Knoxville. We talked with Davey Hamilton,and while he was signing a card I asked him where his Supermodified was,and why wasnt he racing it that night at nearby Star Speedway. With a big smile he looked up and said "I love that place" ! Christopher Hernandez was there,and although I didnt get to chat with him,I had seen him many times in a non wing sprint car,and or midget.

While checking out the Vintage cars I ran into Jack Hewitt,and I asked him if he was going to drive one of Vic Yeradi's vintage cars, (Eddie Sachs's Dean Van Lines Roadster,or AJ Foyt's Sheraton-Thompson Champ car)and he said he didnt know,he hadnt asked Vic yet. He also went on to tell us about winning the Silver Crown race at Hagerstown Md. years before,and after the race Vic let him drive the Joe Hunt Magneto Champ car (no cage) and he said that meant more to him than winning the race. I remembered reading the same thing in Open Wheel magazine many years before.

That was the last Indy car race at NHIS,and even though I can walk to the Speedway now,Indy cars are just not my cup of tea,so I've never gone again. We did have fun in 1998 though.......
Last edited by Andrew S. Quinn; 5/4/17 at 8:15 PM.

4 members like this post: Bostonian, i love dirt track racing, jim goerge, ronmil
5/5/17, 6:07 PM   #36
chrismattlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhody View Post
...driver names don't bother me, I just don't like that there is no path that doesn't involve "Bring lots of money" to get into Indycars. We currently have 3 money toting crash test dummies in the series and I assume Lance Stroll will be added to that number soon. I would prefer to see someone in one of those seats who got there by winning their ass off in **** equipment, but it will never happen.
You should look into Zach Veach who will be competing in his 1st 500 this month, he fits your bill.
Also, you may be interested in the story of Scott Dixon as well, widely considered the sport's best contemporary, he definitely did not come from money, but figured out a way none the less.

1 member likes this post: BrentTFunk
5/5/17, 7:05 PM   #37
brsteg

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 43

My last was last year's Indy 500.
Only reasons that would get me back for the 500 is if Larson runs it and/or I start making more money and I just get bored.
Indy doesn't do it for me because you can not watch the entire race on your own, you end up watching the majority on the big TV and then just watching the cars pass by. It just is not for me. I wish it were, actually. Being in Louisville I am only 2 hours plus a few minutes from the Speedway.
My other Indy Car races were Kentucky in '11 and the Indy 500 in '12.
If they ever come back to Kentucky or Michigan I would be there. But short ovals don't do it for me with the Indy Cars, seem to be choo choo races. But I hope Gateway doesn't turn out that way.

5/6/17, 11:09 PM   #38
2HWrench

Wouldn't it be cool if the 500 were a non-points open race.? Spec max car length and width for pit lane concerns. Beyond that build what you want and see if it can complete 500 miles before your competitors. They way the 500 used to draw technology from innovators for the ultimate test of time and distance.

1 member likes this post: PIT CART
5/7/17, 3:32 PM   #39
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2HWrench View Post
Wouldn't it be cool if the 500 were a non-points open race.? Spec max car length and width for pit lane concerns. Beyond that build what you want and see if it can complete 500 miles before your competitors. They way the 500 used to draw technology from innovators for the ultimate test of time and distance.
Run whatcha brung Indy 500... luv it!
That would bring in lots of cool stuff!

1 member likes this post: 2HWrench
5/7/17, 9:02 PM   #40
Rich Mersereau

Race Count This Year: Lots
Race Count Last Year: Lots

The Chili Bowl offers allot of the things that indycar fans want. Innovative cars, open tires, unique engines, American hero drivers. Real emotion in Victory Lane. No empty seats.

3 members like this post: FishBurger, jim goerge, mc/rider
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Indycar Attendance?