IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Midgets are becoming U**Y!
12/17/16, 10:49 PM   #11
Re: Midgets are becoming U**Y!
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Im totaly against this making a air dam out of the hood and side panels. I don't even like the dished hoods on sprints as you can't see the number on most of them.

The downtubes are hear to stay but that doesn't make em Fugly. I've seen downtube cars with rounded hoods. that were beautiful.

Now here's the deal. Its easier to make and replace straight side panels. most are carbon fiber.

You want to change it and you got a car, Start with a sheet of aluminum or sheet metal and a English Wheel. and change it!

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
12/17/16, 10:54 PM   #12
davidm

Race Count This Year: 21
Race Count Last Year: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattmac05 View Post
If you don't like the way they look, buy a team a frame and body the way you want it to look. I also guarantee, myself included, that the younger generation thinks the older cars are uglier and the newer ones look better
I don't know how anyone could call something like this ugly.

5 members like this post: jim goerge, oppweld, speed bump, Tony74, Unlucky#9
12/17/16, 11:17 PM   #13
xoxide

I swear the offseason brings out the worst in all the bench racers..... Complaining about cars being ugly? Come on... Do something more productive with your time.

At the age of 23 I find modern day midgets and sprints to be "cool" looking..... I enjoy seeing the creativeness in "aero" bodies, carbon fiber, full enclosure bodies, etc.... I think they look great.

At the same time, I find vintage sprints and midgets to be absolutely gorgeous cars, but let's face it the days of no cages, chrome, and skinny tires are long gone- so get over it. If you want to look at vintage midgets and reminisce about the "good ole days" go to a museum or watch your local vintage race (pretty boring honestly).

Should we give up full face helmets and go back to open face/goggles too?

4 members like this post: bcataldi, HardyBoysRacing, Mattmac05, Sawman
12/18/16, 12:20 AM   #14
kendirt

Last edited by kendirt; 12/18/16 at 12:35 AM.

12/18/16, 1:01 AM   #15
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backitin View Post
Maybe just maybe it is that looking at ugly cars turns people off enough to lose some of their interest. Because you can adapt doesn't mean everyone else wants to. Also as the cars get UGLYIER they also tend to get harder to maintain, with all the pretty body panels and all.
People complaining about ugly cars doesn't hurt or kill racing, people fed up with **** racing hurts racing.

The point being a lot of people have been around long enough to know the smell of crap without having to taste it.
Sorry, but I have to tell you what I've been told myself: You're stuck in the past.
You have fond memories of the old race cars, but thats just you. Its the racing that counts, like somebody said, if you want looks go to a car show, or a museum

12/18/16, 1:50 AM   #16
huskermudd

Who cares what they look like as long as you have enough of them to put on a good race

4 members like this post: davidm, Jack Dupp, Sawman, scottyCbus
12/18/16, 10:52 AM   #17
Tumey's 55

Manual typewriters were magnificent, then they went to electric and became uglier, and finally we entered the computer age...talk about ugly. Take a look at those beautiful horses pulling buggies hand crafted from wood, now those were truly works of art. Then Henry ruined it with the model T, it's been down hill ever since.

I don't deny that I love the looks of those old sprint and midgets. However, they are gone never to return just like the horse and buggy. If you are concerned about the future of racing and not the past then the focus should be on what appeals to a younger generation. I do not believe the looks of today's cars vs oldies would come up in a conversation about how to get millennials to attend races.

12/18/16, 4:01 PM   #18
Ray3

The problem I have with the new trend of body style has nothing to do with looks and more to do with safety. USAC just launched a new safety initiative with flashing lights but yet you can encapsulate a driver to the point where if they were laying upside down on fire they couldn't get out. I see far too many race tracks who skimp on fire equipment to rely on them to put a fire out before its too late.

4 members like this post: DonMoore10, LRP36, RacinFool, Tony74
12/19/16, 1:10 PM   #19
Daddyz

To me, most open wheel race cars, regardless of age, asphalt, dirt, whatever, are like women. They come in all styles and shapes and sizes and the vast majority of them are beautiful. Some you just have to look a little harder to find the beauty is all.

2 members like this post: Jack Dupp, kylezero
12/19/16, 1:42 PM   #20
Jack Dupp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddyz View Post
To me, most open wheel race cars, regardless of age, asphalt, dirt, whatever, are like women. They come in all styles and shapes and sizes and the vast majority of them are beautiful. Some you just have to look a little harder to find the beauty is all.
Thank you. I think that sums up the issue perfectly. Still, I much prefer girls and race cars with curves.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Midgets are becoming U**Y!