IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Du Quoin vs. Late Model Indoor Race
12/13/16, 10:34 AM   #1
Du Quoin vs. Late Model Indoor Race
ISF

It will be interesting to see just how much, if any, the dirt late model race over in the America's Center will affect the size of the crowd at Du Quoin this weekend, and vice versa. Since nothing else is going on in the racing world these December days scheduling against each other might hurt one or the other, or both more than during the traditional racing season. The races are just just 1 1/2 hours apart.

We thought about going to St. Louis for Thursday and Friday night and heading over to Du Quoin Saturday but have decided against it. We'll just be going to Du Quoin.

2 members like this post: jim goerge, motorhead748
12/13/16, 10:44 AM   #2
Morin98

I doubt it affects the crowd size at all. Two different crowds.

3 members like this post: jim goerge, PIT CART, scottyCbus
12/13/16, 10:54 AM   #3
Re: Du Quoin vs. Late Model Indoor Race
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

No effect. Im guessing Du Quoin seats about fhree to four thousand and I bet all but the bottom two rows are pretty full.

You could get ten or twenty thou in St. Louis and its still going to look empty.

2 members like this post: jim goerge, scottyCbus
12/13/16, 11:08 AM   #4
brsteg

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morin98 View Post
I doubt it affects the crowd size at all. Two different crowds.
Two different core groups, but they do share some of the same population of fans as well. So I think both will do well, but could have fit a few more butts in seats had they been a week apart or 2.

3 members like this post: ISF, jim goerge, Jonr
12/13/16, 12:28 PM   #5
ISF

We know of a couple of groups from our general area that normally would be at Du Quoin but are opting for the late models mainly due to the fact that it's an inaugural event. Those folks would constitute a half dozen. How many others is anyone's guess.

It's a safe bet that given the fact there will be around 75 cars and some high profile drivers at Du Quoin the stands will be full no matter what else is going on.

I just hope the Du Quoin show doesn't turn into another 8 hour marathon like it did last March.

2 members like this post: jim goerge, ronmil
12/13/16, 1:40 PM   #6
PIT CART

You could probably watch all the midget races and then go watch the features for late models.

4 members like this post: jdull99, sprinter14, sprinter31, wrtracing
12/13/16, 2:06 PM   #7
chathamracefan

Count 3 in the would be at DuQuoin if not for the late model race. Myself, my dad & my son have gone the last couple years and really enjoyed it. We are hitting the late model race this year. It might be a one off, but if it goes off right it could be huge.

12/13/16, 2:58 PM   #8
illiNOISE

Despite being from the STL (I'm four miles from the Dome as I type this), I will be at DuQuoin. I wish the Dome race all the best, but given the flatness of the track, coupled with the staggering car count (which will make track farming almost impossible, due to time constraints),I just fear it will be a horribly locked down, huggy pole parade.

2 members like this post: Charles Nungester, Simon_says17
12/13/16, 3:05 PM   #9
Chris Nunn

Race Count This Year: 20

With the Late Model and Mod race, they are cutting the amount of cars after Thursday, some of them wont be making it to the weekend events.

I wish they could leave the dirt down thats in the Dome, and run Midgets there the weekend after. Best of both worlds

4 members like this post: ISF, jdull99, SpfldMile, sprinter14
12/13/16, 3:19 PM   #10
ISF

Quote:
Originally Posted by illiNOISE View Post
Despite being from the STL (I'm four miles from the Dome as I type this), I will be at DuQuoin. I wish the Dome race all the best, but given the flatness of the track, coupled with the staggering car count (which will make track farming almost impossible, due to time constraints),I just fear it will be a horribly locked down, huggy pole parade.
I too think it's going to be a bottom feeding choo choo where they will have to knock guys out of the way to do any passing. A lot of bigger heavier cars will be racing. If it's anything like when they put dirt over the pavement up at Rockford last summer the track will not only be worn out it'll be so rough it'll be unraceable.

Does anyone know where they got the dirt to build the track in the dome?

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Du Quoin vs. Late Model Indoor Race