IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > BC @ Indy
5/23/16, 8:53 AM   #11
Re: BC @ Indy
wright59

There are a lot more American drivers in this years race than there has been in a long time. And Yes a lot of the drivers in this race are the best in their particular trade in the world!

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, chris jockish
5/23/16, 10:16 AM   #12
opnwhlmnd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backitin View Post
James Hinchcliffe,
Should be talked about also,
Near death to the pole. Talk about guts.
I don't like pavement races but have to say theres nothing in the world like the 500. The only thing I would change would be to hire more American drivers.
You want more American drivers yet you talk about the Canadian Hinchcliffe.

There are 14 USA drivers in the field this year.

5/23/16, 10:56 AM   #13
DHayes818

"USAC Racing" would look pretty good down the side of a full-time BC ride. Bet that never happens.

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
5/23/16, 11:13 AM   #14
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHayes818 View Post
"USAC Racing" would look pretty good down the side of a full-time BC ride. Bet that never happens.
Full time ride? Probably 20 million plus????? Half them teams including Penske, Andretti don't have a full ticket sponsor.

I never claim to know all the facts but USAC is what got him his shot in the first place with its road to indy overal champion. I think I remember a check picture with BC of at least 300k not once, But twice.. The first time they used it to get some Indy Lights races, The second to get a ride with Fisher Hartman for the 500, Jonathan Byrds, American Cancer Centers and BC's other sponsors have helped with last year and this and Byrds is committed to giving future shots with the Midget challenge this year.

I for one am glad Byrds and others come forward. This is a time where sponsoring has to have meaning behind it and not just some millionaires with extra money to spend.

Thanks Sponsors!
I take it back, BC and family earned his shot, USAC and others provided the path.
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 5/23/16 at 11:50 AM.

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, jim goerge, mc/rider
5/23/16, 2:56 PM   #15
rj1

Last I heard for full-time season sponsorship was $5 million. So maybe six nowadays. Greg Beck the last year he ran full-time was doing it for $3 million and that was bare bones. $20 million is outrageous. Even when CART was insane money the insane money was something like $12 million.

To be frank and honest, if USAC had $5 million it'd be better spent on their own series.

Good luck to Clauson, hope he sees the checkered flag.

2 members like this post: Charles Nungester, jim goerge
5/23/16, 4:17 PM   #16
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rj1 View Post
Last I heard for full-time season sponsorship was $5 million. So maybe six nowadays. Greg Beck the last year he ran full-time was doing it for $3 million and that was bare bones. $20 million is outrageous. Even when CART was insane money the insane money was something like $12 million.

To be frank and honest, if USAC had $5 million it'd be better spent on their own series.

Good luck to Clauson, hope he sees the checkered flag.
I'M not arguing, just discussing. . , Tires? If Napcar is 20K+ a weekend Whats it for two weeks with tires twice the size? Half Million dollar hauler, 50k pit box. A engineer, couple mechanics and a pit crew. Travel expenses

I just read a USA today article on Lazier's last year attempt and it was close to one mill for INDY ALONE.by the time they got all the support equipment crew and stuff together and he was the one car that didn't make the race.

Yeah, I remember some old Cart numbers as being 12 to 15 million. I also had a former sprint driver tell me that he could have mortgaged his house and got a 500 ride when IRL started. At that time Open Wheel Mag was quoting WoO schedule to be over a million to run.

Just numbers I can't fathom, But doing the whole series. WOW

5/23/16, 4:24 PM   #17
4th turn fan

B.C. for president !!!!!!...

By the way, does Bryan have a " nickname" as other greats have tags ?

1 member likes this post: Charles Nungester
5/23/16, 4:38 PM   #18
Backitin

Quote:
Originally Posted by opnwhlmnd View Post
You want more American drivers yet you talk about the Canadian Hinchcliffe.

There are 14 USA drivers in the field this year.

Didn't say I didn't like the international flavor. I get grandfathered in however, I'm pretty old and I remember when all most all the drivers were American.
I'm from the good ole USA and I like when American companies hire American workers.

3 members like this post: davidm, jim goerge, smith19
5/23/16, 5:03 PM   #19
rclaridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th turn fan View Post
B.C. for president !!!!!!...

By the way, does Bryan have a " nickname" as other greats have tags ?
"The Bullet" has been Bryan's nickname for as long as I can remember

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
5/23/16, 9:40 PM   #20
rj1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
I also had a former sprint driver tell me that he could have mortgaged his house and got a 500 ride when IRL started.
Scott Harrington did mortgage his house to run the 500.

Also, comparing NASCAR to Indycar. NASCAR has double the races, with the exception of the Indy and Pocono 500s they're longer races, and maybe double to triple the number of individual chassis per entry. In Indycar they're not allowed to have a backup car with an engine installed in the garage area to cut down costs.
Last edited by rj1; 5/23/16 at 9:43 PM.

1 member likes this post: Charles Nungester
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > BC @ Indy