IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Chassis dyno facility
5/5/16, 6:40 PM   #1
Chassis dyno facility
Wingitover

Does anybody know of a chassis dyno facility that has an onboard starter to tune a midget in PA. I've been to Indy several times. Just looking for another option closer to home. Thanks!

5/5/16, 10:03 PM   #2
TQ29m

How about Tobias, lots of shops up that way, someone should have a chassis dyno. Bob

5/6/16, 1:46 PM   #3
Wingitover

There are several shops close to me with chassis dynos. The problem is they don't have the capability of starting the midget. They can only run self starting cars. I need a facility that has the equipment to spin the drum and fire my engine.

5/6/16, 2:31 PM   #4
interpreter66

Could you buy the starter yourself it would pay for it's self in the money you are spending for travel to Indy? Might try getting another racer or racers to chip in and share it, just a thought

5/6/16, 4:42 PM   #5
TQ29m

It takes a really healthy starter to get everything moving at the same moment, and not damage the driveline in the car, friend of mine used to supply those starters, but has since moved on to another job, it isn't an inexpensive part, and without a clutch, would probably not last long. Bob

5/6/16, 6:21 PM   #6
interpreter66

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ29m View Post
It takes a really healthy starter to get everything moving at the same moment, and not damage the driveline in the car, friend of mine used to supply those starters, but has since moved on to another job, it isn't an inexpensive part, and without a clutch, would probably not last long. Bob
I know they have them for sprint cars so I didn't know if they were available for midgets also

5/6/16, 6:47 PM   #7
Wingitover

I'm not looking for an actual "starter". There are dynos that have a set of drive tires under the floor that when actuated spin the actual dyno drum itself which inturn spins the cars tires thus start the engine. I'm not looking for "an add on starter". I'm aware of the starters that connect via the rear.

1 member likes this post: interpreter66
5/6/16, 6:56 PM   #8
LJC77

Call Mike at autocraft
I know he's using someone on the east coast.
Not sure if it'd be much closer to you.

My friend at T-1 Racing in Illinois just installed one on his chassis dyno, not as simple or cheep as you guys think.

5/6/16, 7:03 PM   #9
interpreter66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingitover View Post
I'm not looking for an actual "starter". There are dynos that have a set of drive tires under the floor that when actuated spin the actual dyno drum itself which inturn spins the cars tires thus start the engine. I'm not looking for "an add on starter". I'm aware of the starters that connect via the rear.
Got ya I misunderstood

5/6/16, 7:20 PM   #10
Wingitover

Thank you. Mike is about an hour from me. I'm not sure who he goes to. I've spoken to a lot of different people including Dyno Jet. There is nobody in New England that has one. I just assumed someone has to have one in PA because of all the Sprint cars from the area.

It is a very expensive "add on" to a dyno which is why not many people have it.

Thanks

1 member likes this post: interpreter66
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Chassis dyno facility