IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > PLYMOUTH: DIRTcar Crate wing Sprint. Will it work?
3/29/16, 9:42 AM   #21
Re: PLYMOUTH: DIRTcar Crate wing Sprint. Will it work?
Graham08

The only thing I don't get is why all of these divisions that mandate smaller, less powerful engines insist on running wings. IMO, it would make more sense if they would get rid of the wings because it would be more of a challenge to hook the car up, and if someone is cheating the engine it doesn't do nearly as much good.

3 members like this post: Backitin, Geoff Kaiser, Midget 89
3/29/16, 9:56 AM   #22
latemodel55

Graham , my thoughts exactly . This is why the Ira Wingless deal is IMO the best deal in town. Now if we can get other tracks to see this. Baby steps I guess.

3/29/16, 10:01 AM   #23
Geoff Kaiser

https://youtu.be/Iyu18WQruP4

2 members like this post: Graham08, nathans1012
3/29/16, 1:25 PM   #24
Nate

My only issue with it is say it doesn't work out. No other tracks remotely close to Plymouth are running these new cars, so basically you just ate the thousands of dollars you spent putting your car together and all of the money you spent racing it?

Racing is an expensive endeavor, whatever car/class you may run. But if you put together a 305 or a 410 for that matter at least you know there are multiple places to race, (albeit it is much more expensive) whereas with these...if it doesn't work...there isn't anywhere else.

I understand what DIRTcar and Plymouth are trying to do and I wish them all the luck in the world for trying to put people in the stands and more cars/drivers on the track. However, if I had the extra thousands of dollars I'd want to spend it on a car that I know I'm going to get my money's worth out of, not a car that may or may not have a track to race on if things don't go according to plan.

Not trying to sound negative, I don't try to do that, just trying to look at things from a realistic standpoint.
Last edited by Nate; 3/29/16 at 1:28 PM.

3 members like this post: nathans1012, spicoli, trecraft
3/29/16, 3:59 PM   #25
Blueracer123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate View Post
My only issue with it is say it doesn't work out. No other tracks remotely close to Plymouth are running these new cars, so basically you just ate the thousands of dollars you spent putting your car together and all of the money you spent racing it?

Racing is an expensive endeavor, whatever car/class you may run. But if you put together a 305 or a 410 for that matter at least you know there are multiple places to race, (albeit it is much more expensive) whereas with these...if it doesn't work...there isn't anywhere else.

I understand what DIRTcar and Plymouth are trying to do and I wish them all the luck in the world for trying to put people in the stands and more cars/drivers on the track. However, if I had the extra thousands of dollars I'd want to spend it on a car that I know I'm going to get my money's worth out of, not a car that may or may not have a track to race on if things don't go according to plan.

Not trying to sound negative, I don't try to do that, just trying to look at things from a realistic standpoint.
Let's say your a 600 mini sprint driver and you'd like to move up in open wheel cars, but your not comfortable with a 360 or 410 car. For roughly the same price you spent in your 600 you can sell it and build a 602 sprint car. Now you can get a year or two of experience in a 602 before you swap the motor out and put a 360 or 410 in it.

Not to knock any of the SoD, mts, ect guys out there, but some of them should seriously consider a 602. Their overall season cost might be a lot lower with a lower repair bill.

2 members like this post: fish, plymouthfan
3/29/16, 4:17 PM   #26
Can26

As a MTS racer and a keen observer of the crate cars that have been racing at Ohsewken speedway(Ontario Canada), I can tell you first hand that my open 360 is a cheaper route to go. Add to the fact that I have many more places to race and for higher payouts. The crates are a much better show than I expected them to be... just not cheaper as the should be.

3/29/16, 5:05 PM   #27
Backitin

Somebody throw together a nonwing 602 crate engine series here in upstate NY, me and all my buddys will be there. 602's are run at all the local mudbus tracks and you can pickup a engine for cheap at times. Plus you would have zero competing promotors/series (no matter the engine).
Starting a winged 602 series where there are already options, I'm not so sure about. I know I wouldn't go because of the wings and the winged guys already have a bunch of places to race.

3/29/16, 5:59 PM   #28
latemodel55

1 member likes this post: nathans1012
3/30/16, 12:19 AM   #29
nathans1012

Race Count This Year: 7
Race Count Last Year: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by latemodel55 View Post
Good video. Don't like the sound of the cars though.

3/30/16, 1:11 AM   #30
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathans1012 View Post
Good video. Don't like the sound of the cars though.
How can you tell with little computer speakers? Its gotta be much different live

1 member likes this post: latemodel55
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > PLYMOUTH: DIRTcar Crate wing Sprint. Will it work?