IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC and D2 Midgets
12/8/15, 9:54 AM   #71
Airsys

I personally think everyone should adopt the D-2 rules for wing and non winged. I don't like the rear tire rule or only PC-V rule. Both the tire rule and ONLY PC-5 don't allow people to cross over with out spending money that is specifically for one group but not the other.

2 members like this post: DAD, midget39
12/8/15, 10:23 AM   #72
Re: USAC and D2 Midgets
DAD

Air

Help me out what is the PC-V rule?

Honest Dad himself

12/8/15, 11:02 AM   #73
Airsys

Power commander five only, no rosson, bazzaz or other fuel management systems.

1 member likes this post: DAD
12/8/15, 11:34 AM   #74
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airsys View Post
Power commander five only, no rosson, bazzaz or other fuel management systems.
Air

Possibly because the committee does not know too much about the subject.

A good way to word this rule would be:
1. Aftermarket fuel management systems will be allowed capable of managing both fuel curve and and ignition timing curve.

We don't care who makes the darned thing unless somebody is getting a little money in return, then it is very IMPORTANT.

Guhl sure doesn't have the market tied up on re mapping ECM's (actually he got in a little late) as Engler is not the only maker of fuel Injection for these things. (probably the nicest guy making them) Nor does Power commander own the market on ECM altering devices.

They want to sound knowledgeable when in fact they don't have a clue.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 12/8/15 at 11:39 AM.

1 member likes this post: The Old Coyote
12/8/15, 11:43 AM   #75
MidwestD2Midget

Any programmable ignition/fuel injection systems are allowed

2 members like this post: DAD, Jim Gardner
12/8/15, 11:57 AM   #76
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestD2Midget View Post
Any programmable ignition/fuel injection systems are allowed
Bob

Any "Add-On or Piggy-Back type programmable ignition/fuel device will be allowed."

The add-on piggy-back description would preclude the expensive to buy and very expensive to program stand alone units like Motec, Aem, and Haltec ECM's.

That was a quick clarification of that rule, much like the Wayne Davis style. "Nip it in the Bud. " It will also save valuable trees as it cut the rule book down 1/3 page.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 12/8/15 at 1:21 PM.

12/8/15, 12:03 PM   #77
Airsys

Great, thanks for the clarification. Now I hope poweri follows suit.

12/8/15, 2:45 PM   #78
DAD

Reading through the rules a little slower I noticed several points that were kind of confusing to me.

A------A protective cover may be used on the top of the tail tank providing it is no more than 9 inches in height, 12 inches in length and not wider than the top (head rest) of the tank.>>>>>What are they talking about??

B-----Only chain driven or driveshaft driven cars are allowed.>>>What other drive system is available?

C----- Metal chain guards are required for chain driven cars. Chains must be located within the frame rails. Chain guards must be designed in a manner to completely shield and protect the driver and fuel tank from the chain. The chain guard must be made out of stainless, mild steel, or aluminum (.125 minimum for aluminum).
Chain guards must extend from the firewall to the rear of the sprocket on top and from the top of the chain to the floor pan. The guard must also extend from the firewall to the back of the seat on the side of the driver. Chain guards must be designed so as to not allow chains to damage or puncture the fuel tank in the event they become loose from the sprocket or engine.

This rune is not too realistic in requiring the chain guard to protect the fuel tank. Have you checked the thickness of your chain guard lately??

D------Engine Management Systems may use the following sensors: MAP (manifold absolute pressure), TPS (throttle position sensor), Crank, Cam, Water temp., Oil temp., Oil Pressure, Oxygen sensor, Fuel Pressure, IAC (idle air control, MAT (manifold air temp.), and EGT.>>>>Left out Mass Air Flow Sensor.

Better clarification now than later. The automotive rules just don't ring clear at all to me instead of any motor 2.4 liters or smaller they have actually limited it to 7 specific motors. As a racer I like to experiment and a lot of racers also like to experiment and when you rule out the ability to experiment you also loose a few racers.

Watch out for that little Chrysler Motor guys. It will probably be a game changer.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 12/8/15 at 3:41 PM.

12/8/15, 3:24 PM   #79
xoxide

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAD View Post
Reading through the rules a little slower I noticed several points that were kind of confusing to me.

B---- What other drive system is available?

The automotive rules just don't ring clear at all to me instead of any motor 2.4 liters or smaller they have actually limited it to 7 specific motors. As a racer I like to experiment and a lot of racers also like to experiment and when you rule out the ability to experiment you also loose a few racers.

Honest Dad himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolution Racing View Post
You'll need it - you're dealing with Morons.

Keith

Case in point.

2 members like this post: hullracing, opnwhlmnd
12/8/15, 3:50 PM   #80
TQ29m

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAD View Post

A------A protective cover may be used on the top of the tail tank providing it is no more than 9 inches in height, 12 inches in length and not wider than the top (head rest) of the tank.>>>>>What are they talking about??

B-----Only chain driven or driveshaft driven cars are allowed.>>>What other drive system is available?

C----- Metal chain guards are required for chain driven cars. Chains must be located within the frame rails. Chain guards must be designed in a manner to completely shield and protect the driver and fuel tank from the chain. The chain guard must be made out of stainless, mild steel, or aluminum (.125 minimum for aluminum).
Chain guards must extend from the firewall to the rear of the sprocket on top and from the top of the chain to the floor pan. The guard must also extend from the firewall to the back of the seat on the side of the driver. Chain guards must be designed so as to not allow chains to damage or puncture the fuel tank in the event they become loose from the sprocket or engine.

This rune is not too realistic in requiring the chain guard to protect the fuel tank. Have you checked the thickness of your chain guard lately??

D------Engine Management Systems may use the following sensors: MAP (manifold absolute pressure), TPS (throttle position sensor), Crank, Cam, Water temp., Oil temp., Oil Pressure, Oxygen sensor, Fuel Pressure, IAC (idle air control, MAT (manifold air temp.), and EGT.>>>>Left out Mass Air Flow Meater.

Better clarification now than later. The automotive rules just don't ring clear at all to me instead of any motor 2.4 liters or smaller they have actually limited it to 7 specific motors. As a racer I like to experiment and a lot of racers also like to experiment and when you rule out the ability to experiment you also loose a few racers.

Watch out for that little Chrysler Motor guys. It will probably be a game changer.

Honest Dad himself
DAD, a little overa week ago, I became the somewhat proud owner of a midget, danged near complete, needs some TLC, but for the most part, complete, the guy started on it, and either ran out of money or lost his plan, anyway, all new shocks, wheels, front axle and spindles, arms etc, power steering, bladder tank, most everything except a radiator tray, and seat, however, it has a 2 liter, twin cam Neon in it, and after reading these rules, I may have made yet another mistake, course I like to play, but am short on pay, and without doing at least a little work on it, I think it's a boat anchor, I ain't much into Chrysler stuff, but this one kinda gets my paddle turning, and I wondered a long time ago, why I didn't just buy a sprint car and be done with it, I hate "stock" classes, nothing could be any more expensive than trying to keep it stock, yet run good, even if it's limited to just one make and model, it gets even more out of reason, could be a nice car, is not bad as is, just got anxious I guess, probably be another one sitting! Bob

3 members like this post: DAD, Roy Bleckert, Wayne Davis
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC and D2 Midgets