IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Hamilton no longer with USAC?
6/15/15, 7:04 PM   #21
Re: Hamilton no longer with USAC?
mac miller

Since Hamilton showed up, I got a sense that he was trying to ram "wings" down usac's throat.
Years ago, some west coast usac guy named gary sokola came to Indiana to run the sprint car division. He, immediately, started talking about changing everything to "wings". One night at Eldora, sokola was in the mic booth telling the crowd that the usac sprints would be going to "wings" and got booed out of the place. Earl had to get on the mic to calm the crowd and said that he would be the guy who decided if usac ran "wings" not gary sokola. The crowd cheered Earl and sokola wasn't around long. I think he died of a heart attack a few weeks later. ...usac never went to wings.
Certainly, usac has gone purty far down the drain since kevin miller has been there but, possibly, Hamilton's attempt to push his own little league "wing" sprint car club into usac may not have been going over very well.

1 member likes this post: FishBurger
6/15/15, 7:26 PM   #22
streetglider

You got a "sense" huh , but NO facts???? I think Davey knows what USAC stands for & he actually lived it! He cut his teeth in a non winged car & was trying to keep the wheels turning. It has nothing to do with what some guy said on the PA at Eldora years ago.

3 members like this post: JDFAST, Kansasdirtfan, team3521
6/15/15, 8:24 PM   #23
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

BTW USAC ran wings for five years on promoters choice.
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 6/15/15 at 8:29 PM.

3 members like this post: jim goerge, kinser, Tony74
6/15/15, 8:46 PM   #24
mac miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetglider View Post
You got a "sense" huh , but NO facts????

Here's a FACT for ya.... A couple of weeks ago, there was suppose to be a "wing" sprint car race at Salem with a usac sanction that was abruptly canceled about the time Hamilton was on his way out. .......... FACT!... Hamilton has his own little "wing" sprint car club. This would, at least, be a conflict of interest with his usac job and a "toe in the door" to infiltrate his "wing" agenda into usac. ........ For the past many years, Hamilton has been associated with "wing" super modifieds and "wing" indy cars so to call him a non wing guy is quite a stretch.

I don't know Hamilton personally... I'm sure he is a swell fellow.

6/15/15, 9:13 PM   #25
mac miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
BTW USAC ran wings for five years on promoters choice.

wow, really..... what years?? what tracks?? what promoters???

6/15/15, 9:23 PM   #26
streetglider

Dude .... Realy ? Are you that young or just ignorant ???? You might want to brush up on your history lessons.

4 members like this post: koolaid89, kundog, monkeyboy, team3521
6/15/15, 10:09 PM   #27
ossuks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac miller View Post
Since Hamilton showed up, I got a sense that he was trying to ram "wings" down usac's throat.
Years ago, some west coast usac guy named gary sokola came to Indiana to run the sprint car division. He, immediately, started talking about changing everything to "wings". One night at Eldora, sokola was in the mic booth telling the crowd that the usac sprints would be going to "wings" and got booed out of the place. Earl had to get on the mic to calm the crowd and said that he would be the guy who decided if usac ran "wings" not gary sokola. The crowd cheered Earl and sokola wasn't around long. I think he died of a heart attack a few weeks later. ...usac never went to wings.
Certainly, usac has gone purty far down the drain since kevin miller has been there but, possibly, Hamilton's attempt to push his own little league "wing" sprint car club into usac may not have been going over very well.
Wait Wait Wait!!!! NO NO NO !!!! Please ...if you have to make others think you know something, at least make sh1t up about the living so they can defend themselves....

I was at USAC for Gary's entire career.... Gary did try a few "regional " winged shows at Granite City and a few other places... Gary was the reason for Thursday Night Thunder,... Gary brought pavement sprints back... Gary was part of USAC when it was ran by racers... NOBODY ...NOBODY... had more arguments with Gary than me... NOBODY respected Gary more than me.... He was a RACER!!! He did more for USAC than any other single person... Was he an a$$hole ? Hell yes... Did I love him? Hell Yes!!

Gary made the Hoosier deal and gave all the money back to the racers...Kevin made the Toyota deal and gives nothing to the racers and makes $500,000 per year!!
Last edited by ossuks; 6/15/15 at 10:13 PM.

6/15/15, 10:23 PM   #28
team3521

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetglider View Post
You got a "sense" huh , but NO facts???? I think Davey knows what USAC stands for & he actually lived it! He cut his teeth in a non winged car & was trying to keep the wheels turning. It has nothing to do with what some guy said on the PA at Eldora years ago.
Absolutely! Thank you!

6/15/15, 10:25 PM   #29
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

I think it was 88-92 but don't quote me on exact dates. I seen a USAC wing and NW show in the same year at ELDORA, Paragon ran a USAC wing show thats on youtube. Several tracks ran some. USAC wing shows.

Those are the ones I can remeber being at. Let me go look at my record book and I can give you exact figures. on WINGs in USAC.

Or do you ust wanna eat your crow now, Mac?

Last edited by Charles Nungester; 6/15/15 at 10:28 PM.

2 members like this post: jim goerge, team3521
6/15/15, 10:31 PM   #30
ossuks

Things that make you go Hmmm? Lets imagine that someone had made a deal with like... Jonathan Byrd to sponsor Indianan Midget Week? What if the idea was to have a huge dinner and party to kick off the week? What if this deal was signed, sealed , and delivered? What if ...lets say someone like DH put this deal (and a few others) together? What if Kevin's response was "whats in it for USAC (aka...how can I get my hands on more money?)" What if it was one of several deals with the racers best interest in mind that put no money in the "Detriot Retirement Fund"? Maybe someone had the stones to say ...... just wondering ...what if???
Last edited by ossuks; 6/16/15 at 3:54 PM.

5 members like this post: Ken Bonnema, kundog, Pat O'Connor Fan, Predator, team3521
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Hamilton no longer with USAC?