IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 6 days of USAC sprints in Florida
11/12/14, 2:29 PM   #11
TBONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Shunk View Post
Great news that the National sprint car series has 2 weekends of racing in Florida! I can't wait for the action to begin. Cold fronts can stall in north or central FL in February creating liquid sunshine. Just in case, does USAC have rainout makeups available for Sundays (like the 2014 Smackdown)? If so, I can plan my travel accordingly.
There is a rain date of Sunday Feb 22nd at Bubbas...haven't heard about a rain date for Easy Bake...umm East Bay...

11/12/14, 5:13 PM   #12
Re: 6 days of USAC sprints in Florida
Dick Monahan

Race Count Last Year: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
... And Mr. Monahan, you'll be in Florida in February. I would think you can find something to do on the off days. It's not like there is a lack of activities here.
I hate FL in Feb and the other 11 months. It's a hot, sticky swamp. I went for a walk along the river in a pea soup fog this AM. That's my kind of weather.

I've been going to FL for the races since about 1973. When I took my kids, we did the amusement parks. I have no desire to see them again. I don't like beaches; they are hot and sandy and sticky.

The one great take in FL was Cape Canaveral, when it was active. The other is the Showman's Trade Show in Gibsonton. Unfortunately, it's earlier in the month and it's now $50 admission (it used to be free). The State Fair is on at that same time, so we're going to miss that, too.

Volusia's last race is usually the night before the Daytona 500, so that's out.

I'll bring my laptop and some books.

11/12/14, 5:18 PM   #13
mc/rider

Race Count This Year: 42

I plan on using the time between races to sit around and talk about the snow and cold weather Im missing
Last edited by mc/rider; 11/13/14 at 7:15 AM.

5 members like this post: BrentTFunk, interpreter66, Koonzee, PAW, Wayne Davis
11/12/14, 7:24 PM   #14
Al Pierce

Race Count This Year: 49
Race Count Last Year: 43

No problem with race fans finding something to do in Florida in February. Mark off a 100 mile wide corridor across middle Florida and you can find a race of some kind on all or most of the 28 days. Winged, NonWing, Pavement and Dirt Sprints; Mods; Late Models; NASCAR and it's copycats; Dragsters; plus Trucks and Cars on I-75, I-4, and I-95.

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, interpreter66, Stevensville Mike
11/12/14, 9:37 PM   #15
dirtnonwingfan

Race Count This Year: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Monahan View Post
Now that I think of it, there will be a lot of us there with nothing to do Sun-Tue. I know some will be at DisneyLand, but many don't care about that. Maybe we could get organized to do something. Posters? Signs in store windows? Whatever. The teams could make appearances all over town. Maybe some sponsors could organize some parties for the evenings? I'm not looking for a free drink, just a gathering spot. Tampa's a nice town, but not very exciting Sun-Tue.
Dick, I am putting together a list based on the years I have spent eating and sightseeing down there. Hope to have it posted soon. Any other suggestions welcome. I do suggest starting the day with the friendly folks at Ruban's Cubans for breakfast and then taking a short drive to the open air market on Route 41 for fresh strawberries (or bananas, mangos, etc.), to help you make it through the day. More later.

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Wayne Davis
11/12/14, 9:43 PM   #16
WinglessLovers

Race Count This Year: 34
Race Count Last Year: 85

Got to agree with Staggerman here on the two week commitment. It might get quite costly for the teams and vacation time. Would have made more sense to me to run East Bay Sunday, Monday and Tuesday after Lucas Oil Late Models and not the following week as many fans will have already returned home and have to question the crowds that East Bay is going to draw.

2 members like this post: i love dirt track racing, Stevensville Mike
11/13/14, 12:56 AM   #17
Stevensville Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Pierce View Post
No problem with race fans finding something to do in Florida in February. Mark off a 100 mile wide corridor across middle Florida and you can find a race of some kind on all or most of the 28 days. Winged, NonWing, Pavement and Dirt Sprints; Mods; Late Models; NASCAR and it's copycats; Dragsters; plus Trucks and Cars on I-75, I-4, and I-95.
You got THAT right, Al!

11/13/14, 11:33 AM   #18
Birdsboro

Race Count This Year: 10
Race Count Last Year: 30

And i just booked the family disney trip on monday.... planned on a few days at my brothers in tampa (read me and him sneaking off to bubba) and now i find out they will be raxing ten miles from his house the following week..... how am i gonna ssing this one?? I have never been to bubba but love love love east bay. Maybe if i play my cards right i will get to see the first day at ocala and the finale at east bay....

11/13/14, 11:34 AM   #19
Birdsboro

Race Count This Year: 10
Race Count Last Year: 30

By the way....any other carnies on this board??

11/13/14, 12:54 PM   #20
Wayne Davis

Race Count This Year: 38
Race Count Last Year: 68

And don't forget Bubbas is a double header with the Southern States Midget Series
Many Indiana/Illinois/Ohio/Pa midget and lightning sprint guys will be going battle with the Florida contingent. Older national engines have been added that will make up a group of about 30-35 midgets so far

www.SouthernOutlawPromotions.com

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 6 days of USAC sprints in Florida