IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 6 days of USAC sprints in Florida
11/11/14, 6:33 PM   #1
6 days of USAC sprints in Florida
Wayne Davis

Race Count This Year: 38
Race Count Last Year: 68

http://usacracing.com/news/sprint-ca...tbayracesadded

The Original Southern Outlaw

www.SouthernOutlawPromotions.com

2 members like this post: dirtnonwingfan, EBookerFan
11/11/14, 7:04 PM   #2
Re: 6 days of USAC sprints in Florida
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

It’s destination Florida for race fans in February. That’s nothing new except it has been expanded this year with a three-night AMSOIL USAC National Sprint car weekend at East Bay Raceway in Gibsonton February 26-28. An open practice night is on tap February 25.

These three races are added to the already-announced February 19-21 races at Bubba Raceway Park in Ocala, creating more than $130,000 in prize money up for grabs for USAC participants to kick off the 2014 National campaign! The now six-race “Winter Dirt Games VI” schedule throws a healthy dose of wingless sprint car racing into Florida’s season kickoff calendar while making USAC’s lone visit to the “Sunshine State” an even stronger trip.

Damion Gardner, who will lock down his third AMSOIL USAC/CRA title this weekend at Peoria, Ariz., swept a pair of races at East Bay in 2010. Four years earlier the track hosted its initial USAC races, a trio of Ford Focus events.

The Sprint cars then converged on Ocala for races beginning in 2011 and 2015 marks the fifth straight year that the “Winter Dirt Games” will return to Bubba Raceway Park. Just one week later they will now race at East Bay, closing the track’s “Winter Nationals” schedule.

Ironically, Brady Bacon and Bryan Clauson won the 2014 Ocala openers. They run 1-2 in the National standings entering this coming weekend’s finales in Arizona.

“We are delighted to announce these additional February dates for our participants,” says series coordinator Jason McCord. “Florida has always been a destination during this time and it’s fun to get out of the Midwestern cold and enjoy the sunny atmosphere down south. We have enjoyed great success with the Ocala races and the addition of the East Bay events now enhances the vacation opportunities for our valued fans.”

USAC Sprint racing dates all the way back to USAC’s inception (1956), when they competed at West Palm Beach, Jacksonville and Miami. Bob Sweikert won the first USAC Sprint race ever at West Palm Beach.

The ensuing years have included USAC Championship Car, Silver Crown, Formula 2000, Midget, Sprint, Sports Car and Ford Focus competition as a number of speedways across the state.

11/11/14, 9:36 PM   #3
dirtnonwingfan

Race Count This Year: 6

Absolutely great news! I am so glad they are getting back to East Bay after an absence of too many years. Good racing, good weather and good food. Can't wait.

1 member likes this post: BrentTFunk
11/11/14, 11:22 PM   #4
Flatrightrear

This is great but I booked my flights in and out of Daytona Beach last Sunday for the 13th to the 21st so I'm cooked on East Bay.

11/12/14, 12:49 AM   #5
Fred Zirzow

Race Count This Year: 65
Race Count Last Year: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatrightrear View Post
This is great but I booked my flights in and out of Daytona Beach last Sunday for the 13th to the 21st so I'm cooked on East Bay.
Unless you booked with southwest. Free to make changes

1 member likes this post: WinglessLovers
11/12/14, 11:49 AM   #6
staggerman

Am I the only one who scratches their head on the feasibility of two weekends of racing for the nonwingers. For the race teams sure would have been better to run Thursday-Saturday and then Monday-Wednesday. I am sure the promoter wants a Saturday night as that is the best night to draw a big crowd. USAC is a working mans series for a lot of owners and crews and with the set up now they will have to commit over 2 weeks of vacation time to hit both weekends with the travel time. I just wonder if some teams might only do one weekend. Just my thoughts and maybe I am the odd one in wondering about the time commitment.

2 members like this post: Stevensville Mike, WinglessLovers
11/12/14, 12:47 PM   #7
Dick Monahan

Race Count Last Year: 26

I just hope someone does some PR. The last time the traditional sprints were at East Bay, there appeared to be none. That was the year they ran traditional/winged on alternating nights. The last traditional night, we sat beside a guy from upstate NY, a real race fan, who was living just North of Tampa for the Winter. He had no idea the traditional sprints were running. He just decided to go to East Bay, knowing there was some kind of racing that night.

11/12/14, 12:52 PM   #8
Dick Monahan

Race Count Last Year: 26

Now that I think of it, there will be a lot of us there with nothing to do Sun-Tue. I know some will be at DisneyLand, but many don't care about that. Maybe we could get organized to do something. Posters? Signs in store windows? Whatever. The teams could make appearances all over town. Maybe some sponsors could organize some parties for the evenings? I'm not looking for a free drink, just a gathering spot. Tampa's a nice town, but not very exciting Sun-Tue.

11/12/14, 12:58 PM   #9
Will Shunk

Great news that the National sprint car series has 2 weekends of racing in Florida! I can't wait for the action to begin. Cold fronts can stall in north or central FL in February creating liquid sunshine. Just in case, does USAC have rainout makeups available for Sundays (like the 2014 Smackdown)? If so, I can plan my travel accordingly.

11/12/14, 1:09 PM   #10
Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by staggerman View Post
Am I the only one who scratches their head on the feasibility of two weekends of racing for the nonwingers. For the race teams sure would have been better to run Thursday-Saturday and then Monday-Wednesday. I am sure the promoter wants a Saturday night as that is the best night to draw a big crowd. USAC is a working mans series for a lot of owners and crews and with the set up now they will have to commit over 2 weeks of vacation time to hit both weekends with the travel time. I just wonder if some teams might only do one weekend. Just my thoughts and maybe I am the odd one in wondering about the time commitment.
I, being a Florida resident am glad they are not racing a Monday- Wednesday deal. I can save my vacation time to come to Indiana this summer. I do understand your point though. I think the crowd will be better than last time since it is mostly a weekend show. I just hope Eastbay has improved on customer relations. And Mr. Monahan, you'll be in Florida in February. I would think you can find something to do on the off days. It's not like there is a lack of activities here.

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, interpreter66
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 6 days of USAC sprints in Florida