IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Brainstorms for 2015
10/4/14, 12:18 PM   #1
Brainstorms for 2015
racenut69

I would like to see the Hut Hundred run as part of IL.Midget Week and the Gold Crown moved to mid-Sept. next year to maybe avoid weather issues. Could this be done???..Macon,Belle-Clair,Lincoln,Jacksonville and Tri-City all in one week,I'm not sure if I could handle it!!..I'm willing to try though!...Your thoughts,please......

2 members like this post: mc/rider, Pat O'Connor Fan
10/4/14, 12:41 PM   #2
monkeyboy

That's not the hut hundred. It's an impostor.

2 members like this post: 2fast4u, Racer12
10/4/14, 1:21 PM   #3
Re: Brainstorms for 2015
Jerry Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post
That's not the hut hundred. It's an impostor.
We've visited this subject before. If the Hut Hundred would have been forced to either remain at the Terre Haute Action Track or be no more, it would be DEAD. The cars didn't show up and the fans quit supporting it. Tommy Helfrich resuscitated it and tried to bring it back to life, but the Indiana fans just didn't support it down there, either. The big area that supports midget racing is Western Illinois. The best promoter in Western Illinois is Kevin Gundaker. He runs a large track, like the Hut Hundred needs to be ran on. It's the only logical place to run it. In some ways Kevin reminds me of Don Smith. Until the day that Indiana fans decide they will come out in the numbers to support the Hut Hundred at a place like THAT again, it's at least a great place to keep the event alive. Kevin Gundaker deserves praise for saving this event, not another one of your cheap shots.

Jerry

Winston Churchill
Last edited by Jerry Shaw; 10/4/14 at 1:33 PM.

10/4/14, 1:41 PM   #4
Jerry Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by racenut69 View Post
I would like to see the Hut Hundred run as part of IL.Midget Week and the Gold Crown moved to mid-Sept. next year to maybe avoid weather issues. Could this be done???..Macon,Belle-Clair,Lincoln,Jacksonville and Tri-City all in one week,I'm not sure if I could handle it!!..I'm willing to try though!...Your thoughts,please......
That's an interesting idea, but I don't see the Hut Hundred as part of a series. It's more of a stand-alone event, IMO. And teams might not want to run a marathon at the end of doing a bunch of wind sprints.

Jerry

Winston Churchill

1 member likes this post: luckybuc97
10/4/14, 1:44 PM   #5
racenut69

Would be a mini Hell Tour,only for the Midgets...Run the "Hundred" on the last night!

10/4/14, 1:46 PM   #6
dirtnonwingfan

Race Count This Year: 6

I couldn't agree with Jerry more. Look at the pitiful crowd at the Kokomo Grand Prix this year. This should have been a well-attended happening. Instead it was a great two-day midget show which was not supported by the fans. Two things are very important to the future of any race; cars and fans. If either or both don't show up, those races tend to disappear.

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, I Miss Manzy, Pat O'Connor Fan
10/4/14, 1:59 PM   #7
racenut69

I'm fed up with the weather affecting these 2 Events but I understand the concerns..I'm just throwing ideas out while waiting to go to Flora tonight!....

1 member likes this post: Jerry Shaw
10/6/14, 9:53 AM   #8
jjones752

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

Didn't the HUT get rained out this year? Didn't it rain during Illinois Midget Week? We got rained out (for about the 4th time) at Montpelier on September 20th after almost getting rained out on the 6th. Predicting Midwest weather is about a easy as predicting, well, Midwest weather; about the only thing moving the Gold Crown up may guarantee is that if it does rain, it may not be quite as cold...
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97

10/6/14, 12:19 PM   #9
Fred Zirzow

Race Count This Year: 65
Race Count Last Year: 49

why don't they just bring back the PUT 100

10/6/14, 12:36 PM   #10
dirtnonwingfan

Race Count This Year: 6

As a race fan, I prefer to have races for two or more weekends in a row when I travel. That isn't the case here, since I live in central Illinois, but I think the concept is sound. Can't speak for racers who tow a long distance, but I would think they might prefer the same. This year there were POWRi shows at Macon and Little Belleville on September 6 and 7. Having the Gold Crown the next weekend would have been ideal. I am sure that there will be conflicts, such as 410s at Haubstadt the next weekend this year, but you either have conflicts or have the race so late the chance of bad weather is much greater. I would suggest sometime in September either before or after a weekend of midget racing somewhere else. It would be be even better if it was sometime when Kokomo had a Sunday race one of the two weekends so you could see midgets and then go to Kokomo.

1 member likes this post: flatlander51
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Brainstorms for 2015