IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Octoberfest Nationals Lightning Sprints & Nonwing Sprintcars
9/24/14, 11:56 AM   #11
Re: Octoberfest Nationals Lightning Sprints & Nonwing Sprint
openwheel44

Dad.......... I haven't decided about which race to attend that weekend. Can't speak for Mark or anyone else that runs with us at the MALS shows. Which brings me to the "car crossover" point...........where does anyone think the cars that attended the MALS shows came from? Same cars that run MLS. We are all friends back here. Only one unintentional schedule conflict to this point and it got rained out. Incidently...MALS cancelled a show that was thrown at us the last minute near the end of the season that would have conflicted. Mark, myself and the track promoter decided to not but our racers between a rock and hard spot. We have made every effort to not conflict any races. We are NOT competing with any other series. Simply giving the guys that run MALS races a better purse at a few different tracks for variety on open dates. Jayhawk obviously will have money invested in the Haubstadt race and even the Chandler race the night before but that doens't mean I am obligated to go there. Depends first on the weather. I can go to a two day race system back there that is two completely different shows. The one here is closer for me but it basically only one show stretched out. A show that pays pretty good as long as it is guaranteed and not dependent on car counts. ?? Haubstadt seems smaller and less of a horsepower track as compared to I-35 and that interests me. Seems like Haubstadt has Lightning/Mini Sprint written all over it. Remember........I have run at I-35 numerous times and know what it demands. Plus the rules seem a little tighter and more beneficial to the "stock motor rule intent" in Indiana that weekend.

Unfortunately, I have only had time to run 6-7 races this year. Naturally I picked the six I had an investment/obligation to plus one stand alone race at CMS. Other obligations have restricted my racing activities this year. Simple as that.

Unfortunately the Haubstadt race was set up before the I-35 race had been announced. Mark and I know how important the Haubstadt race is to the the local Indiana guys so we decided to stick with it. I see good racers that deserve this opportunity to run at such a great facility and maybe get their foot in the door for future racing. Besides.....I would really like to run there myself. Kinda like a "bucket list" deal.

Bottom line...........Jayhawk will financially support both races somewhat that weekend in Indiana as originally planned. Weather might first determine my direction and if not............I will decide probably at the last minute. Phil has no idea where Phil is racing that weekend at this point. Like you said DAD.........."Decisions, decisions."
Last edited by openwheel44; 9/24/14 at 12:07 PM.

1 member likes this post: DAD
9/24/14, 12:53 PM   #12
DAD

Phil

Thanks. And I do truly mean that. You have done a lot and invested a lot and effort toward the betterment of this particular type of race car (formerly known as Mini-Sprint). I do hope to run across you at some time in the future. We plan on running the races out in Western Indiana, had planned on Lincoln Park but the old hauler layed down on us, as a matter of fact if I don't get to work we might miss Bloomington.

Honest Dad himself

PS "USOMA" has been around longer than "Osoma" has. Isn't ths their race?

9/25/14, 1:07 PM   #13
DAD

I wouldn't be surprised if you guys do get a real good turn out for your Oktoberfest race. We are giving it some thought, we are also talking with AJ Felker to make the haul also, to him that is just a regular weekend. I also see where that other 44 car from back east has been lurking around the post. What better way to sell a car>

Honest Dad himself

9/25/14, 10:30 PM   #14
bobbyd

United States Outlaw Mini-Sprint Association (USOMA). Alan Davis formly of the Colorado 1200 Outlaws and I (Midwest Outlaw Mini-Sprint Assoc) wanted to have a "National" race. So we put together the USOMA to stage the races and maybe someday have a general set of rules that everyone would follow. We held the 1st USOMA Nationals in Caney, KS in 1994. Our goal was to have 1 per year and maybe start having a "Spring Nationals" also. Alan, I and sometimes Jerry Teague of the AMSA would put the races on. This will be the 11th USOMA Nationals. Our goal of having a "Nationals" every year was side tracked by lack of sponsorship money and/or a track to hold the event. Some of the past winners, Shane Cottle (1998), Larry Bland (2001), Brad Sweet (2002) and Matt Sherrell (2003). We have had as many as 45 cars and as few as 29. We did have a couple of Spring Nationals and (I'll have to check the records) but I recall that Phil won one of them. We always try and hold the Nationals in the 1st or 2nd week of Oct, so all of the point races and most of the tracks have shut down. We try and pay a good purse and scatter the money down thru the positions.
Alan and I had a meeting at one of the PRI Shows in Indy 7 or 8 years ago(before the PRI moved to FL) for the mini sprint groups hoping to get a set of general rules that everyone would live with. Everyone was in agreement that a National set of rules was needed, and most would go along with it as long as the "national" organization adopted "their" rules to go by.

The 11th USOMA Nationals is a little different in that we (the Midwest Lightning Sprints) are also in charge of the other classes that are racing on the card for the weekend. The Nationals purse is guaranteed. Eagle Motorsports, Keizer Wheels, and Rod End Supply have contingency prizes/certificates for the event. We are in the process of getting some others to come on board also. We expect a good field of Winged Lightning Sprints. There will be a lot of racing for the cars that attend.

We have been getting a lot of calls from all across the Midwest from the Non Wing Sprint Cars. We expect a very big car count as quite a few of the tracks are closed. The Modlites have a big following of cars in KS, MO, IA and CO and we expect a good turnout.

You can get info (purse structure, rules and entry forms) on all 3 classes of the "Nationals" at www.rodendsupply.com (click on the Nationals poster) and www.midwestlightningsprints.com. Track info at www.I-35 Speedway.net

If you need other info or have questions:
bobdouglasmols@rodendsupply.com 913-522-5378
m_oskvig1@hotmail.com Mike Oskvig 816-898-6978

2 members like this post: bn kleen, DAD
10/2/14, 12:06 AM   #15
bobbyd

Contingency prizes for the 11th USOMA Nationals and the Octoberfest Nonwing Sprintcar Showdown are rolling in. EMI, Hyper Racing, ARS, Keizer Wheels, and Rod End Supply are the companies so far that are providing multiple contingency prizes. There will be more added before race date and we will update the list.
These will be awarded as hard charger, first spot out of a transfer, heat race winners and also as prize drawings.

Prize money will be paid for B feature participants that do not qualify for the A Main. Prize money will also be paid for C feature participants that do not qualify for the B mains.

With the large amount of pre entries that we have received, this looks like it could be the largest participated USOMA Nationals event.

10/2/14, 10:09 AM   #16
openwheel44

Bob..........it your rain date of the 12th a day race or a night race? Just looking at the forecast and weighing all possiblities between the races at I-35 and Haubstadt.

10/2/14, 11:48 AM   #17
bobbyd

Because we will have people traveling long distances and will need to be back at work on Monday, the rainout race will be run on Sun afternoon. Hopefully it won't be needed.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Octoberfest Nationals Lightning Sprints & Nonwing Sprintcars