IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Smackdown sanction
8/25/14, 11:23 PM   #11
Re: Smackdown sanction
Nate

So you get your 60-70 cars...what drivers out of those new cars that show up are going to be able to outrun your Darlands, Clausons, Windoms, Cottles, etc?

The best cars/drivers in the country were there this weekend with the exception of 1-2 so I agree what those above me said, the car count this weekend was just about right.

8/25/14, 11:31 PM   #12
jim goerge

60 to 70 cars will wear a track out I agree with Jerry 30 to 40 is all you need

4 members like this post: oldfan49, Pat O'Connor Fan, rachasin, speed bump
8/25/14, 11:37 PM   #13
openwheelfan1

Just "what if ": what if 60-70 cars did enter...then you could split the field...half compete Thursday night, half Friday. Top 4 points cars from each night make the "King of the Hill" and next 4 points cars each night lock in to Saturday's "A" main. Instead of having 3 "qualifying heats" on Saturday night, have a "D", "C" and "B" main based on points from preliminary nights. Just a thought.

Steve

3 members like this post: Charles Nungester, cwfan08, mc/rider
8/25/14, 11:48 PM   #14
Jerry Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by openwheelfan1 View Post
Just "what if ": what if 60-70 cars did enter...then you could split the field...half compete Thursday night, half Friday. Top 4 points cars from each night make the "King of the Hill" and next 4 points cars each night lock in to Saturday's "A" main. Instead of having 3 "qualifying heats" on Saturday night, have a "D", "C" and "B" main based on points from preliminary nights. Just a thought.

Steve
I'm a selfish race fan. I want to see Dave Darland, Bryan Clauson, Robert Ballou, Shane Cottle, Justin Grant, Chase Stockon, Brady Short, Chris Windom, Jon Stanbrough, etc. EVERY NIGHT of the event.

There is absolutely nothing that I would change about Smackdown!

Jerry

Winston Churchill
Last edited by Jerry Shaw; 8/25/14 at 11:50 PM.

8/25/14, 11:53 PM   #15
JarrettFarms73

Quote:
Originally Posted by openwheelfan1 View Post

Steve
King of the hill is point total for the nights combined. Splitting the field eliminates half the competition w/ out ever actually competing. If we got 60+ cars then treat just like old speedweek: non qualifier race advancees tag on to the back of the heats. Everything else stays the same.

1 member likes this post: flagboy55
8/26/14, 8:02 AM   #16
Pat O'Connor Fan

The dreamers and schemers always have "a better mousetrap" visions, regardless how a growing event is promoted, sanctioned, etc.
Probably would be telling Hahn and Edwards how operate a race in Tulsa in January, too.

4 members like this post: Jerry Shaw, jim goerge, mowerman, Vukie
8/26/14, 8:12 AM   #17
cwfan08

Race Count This Year: 17

I don't think anything needs to be changed about it..its really turning into a must see event for any open wheel fan. What bothers me is no one ran sprints against it and you only pricked up a few cars, and I am sure weather played a big role this year. But with the O'Conner's determination to get the entire weekend in, when mother nature threw everything she had, really makes me believe it will continue to grow. I love the boss deal but this is a usac show and needs to stay that way. Hopefully next year the weather is perfect and there is more support across the board.

Tyler

4 members like this post: duel, Pat O'Connor Fan, Sid G., speed bump
8/26/14, 9:37 AM   #18
Koonzee

Best 3 quality shows you could see. Why mess it up with extra c-main cars that don't even want to be there. They're great in their own series where they are equal , but not a one of them would affect the outcome at a USAC Smackdown. Leave perfection alone.

8/26/14, 10:37 AM   #19
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

I myself would love to see a big field Odd/Even total points finally Top six from both nights locked in.

Saturday would have 5 races

Two 15 lap B Mains Six From Each

A Straight Up 10 lap Dash by points between the top twelve for starting positions 1-12

And

TWO A MAINS
1,500-250 for 25th-44 25 laps

10,000-1000 for the Top 24 40 laps

The reason for the Odd Even is to split the top 15 teams up so other good runners have better chance at transfer and a chance at higher qualifying for that nights feature. I've seen dozens of times a car that qualifys a half second slower than to top teams race their way forwards. So instead of starting 18th if they transfer, It could be 9th and thus a better chance at either getting top six or even winning the prelim getting you into the top twelve for Sat.

The thinking is, The more teams think they have a shot, The more that will show..
I think this kind of show could draw 60 of which 15 would be eliminated from feature events.
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 8/26/14 at 12:12 PM.

8/26/14, 11:36 AM   #20
flagboy55

I think 40 is a great number if you are using the current format. Gives 4 good heats and what should be a good semi. If your gonna split the field each night, which is ok, you need 80 or so. Wasn't that long ago this event would prolly draw that. You could always count on 8 to 10 Cali and AZ cars and you had at least that that would take the wing off for a big show. Let's face it, the economy, cost of travel, and shrinking middle class is hitting racing pretty hard.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Smackdown sanction