IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Sprint week driver roster??
6/25/14, 1:03 PM   #21
Re: Sprint week driver roster??
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyCbus View Post
Here's a thought go to more races than just sprint week and maybe you would know who's who! Buy a pit pass which is just $5 bucks more than stands and go meet some of the drivers. Get on the web-sites of the race tracks in Indiana they list almost all the drivers with car number. These are just some of the ways you can find out who's who in a sprint car before IWS starts!
Seems the fact that the posters asking is coming from MO. IL, MN and WI. Escaped your line of thinking. I also know people from PA, NJ and other states that make the trek. They don't know who Josh Burton is, But if they get to the track, see a roster sheet that says o4 Josh Burton then they can familiarize themselves

*Just a thought*
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 6/25/14 at 1:04 PM.

6/25/14, 1:08 PM   #22
dirt in ur beer
Banned

Race Count This Year: 41
Race Count Last Year: 28

Some responses just seem salty .

1 member likes this post: Charles Nungester
6/25/14, 9:28 PM   #23
oppweld

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 25

I haven't been there in about three years but, Lincoln Speedway in PA has one of the better deals on programs. For $4 I think, you get your standard program plus two red tickets stapled inside. You keep one and deposit the other ticket in one of the containers numbered 0 through 9. The purpose of this is to guess how many yellow flags there will be in the qualifying heat races. Numbers repeat if you go into double digits. Then for you gamblers and prognosticators out there they have a page for you to guess the top five finishers in the sprint main with the winner getting $100.00 which rolls over to the next week if there are no correct sheets.

3 members like this post: dirt330, racing2bwithu2, Ty
6/26/14, 9:14 PM   #24
Flatrightrear

I don't think a fan should have to hunt down a driver sheet at a trailer in the parking lot. You paid your money to see a race and a facility should provide the info needed to make for a more enjoyable evening. Good grief, it's normal practice at a football, baseball, basketball, etc. game to have a list of the participants made easily available to the attending fans so why not at a car race where the numbers can be hard to read sometimes, the announcer states the lineup after the cars are fired up and you can't understand a word he's saying and drivers names on the cars can be hard to make out. People want to grow the sport and attract new fans so tracks need to make it EASY, for new and occasional fans especially, to know just who in the heck the driver was that they started to cheer for. 30 years ago programs at ANY track were a given and now, with all of our new technology, you're lucky to find a drivers list. Help fans out as much as possible

6/26/14, 9:34 PM   #25
Flatrightrear

ScottyCbus--- You need to remember that many people don't have the time and/or maybe not the extra cash to go to multiple races just to find out who's who. The names of the participants should be readily and easily made available to the fans. You know, you may have some body from out of town or out of country that pays money to see a race and too often it's "good luck, buddy" in trying to find out driver info. I found your post to be insulting to the poor sap that can afford to take himself and two or three kids to a race occasionally but you expect him to make a regular habit out of going when just maybe he can't begin to afford to make a habit of going. Many racers are having a hard time finding the money to race and many people are hurting, too, with not much spare cash lying around for fun stuff. We're living in a shrinking economy or haven't you noticed? If you haven't then good for you.

1 member likes this post: rdzsprint
6/26/14, 11:27 PM   #26
ThrowbackRacingTeam

$1 at the USAC trailer. I wouldn't complain about that or you might not even get that. It costs a lot to do any kind of printing and apparently souvenir programs don't sell well enough or they'd still do them. Plus, sprint car drivers sometimes change rides often and the program might be wrong at race time.

1 member likes this post: BrentTFunk
6/26/14, 11:28 PM   #27
dirt in ur beer
Banned

Race Count This Year: 41
Race Count Last Year: 28

Glad somebody brought this up . I found it ironic that Scottycbus advised to get out n see more races than just ISW .Maybe Scotty hasn't adjusted his race total this yr but 5 isn't that many races . I had 4 knocked out during midget week and woulda been 5 without rain . And I live 6 hrs away . I have a helluva time knowing who's driving the sprints cause we don't do the nonwing thing where I'm from. I pd the $1 at the USAC trailer and will again when I come back for first 3 nights of isw. I do agree that it should b included in my ticket price but it is what it is . I wasted a helluva lot more money back in my drinkin days !

6/26/14, 11:38 PM   #28
The Riz

I have always wondered why the tracks don't get a large dry erase board and write the line ups, qual order, heats, and mains! not much cost after the initial board! They could put it near the concession stand and draw people buy! Robert Ballou does a great job if you have a smart phone! Friend them on facebook or twitter...also can go to IOW front page where Bill has a twitter update window!

6/27/14, 12:20 AM   #29
JarrettFarms73

Like it was said earlier, people and effort are major keys to this, but here's my idea on a drivers list.

According to buzzfeed.com, black ink toner equates to $2700.00 per gallon. I understand if a track chooses to offset that cost. My bands used 1/4 sheet flyers often to cut promo cost but I'm not sure that translates to this application. I'm pretty sure 70+ names on a 1/4 sheet would require < size 4 font. LOL

Here's how we make it mostly fan friendly and FREE! You can sign up in the gift shop for that particular tracks e-mailing list. An email is sent out w/ the drivers list on race day to all members shortly after the draw closes. Several of us use smart phones so getting email on site should be no problem. A new member on race day would get the driver list as the "confirmation" email. My guess is most new fans and families are going to land in this demographic of smart phone users. If a track is already operating a web page, its domain likely included a few email accounts. Minimal set up needed from the track. Maybe the track could even use that list as exclusive offers for discounts at gift shop and/ or concessions?

Non phone users have no fear! Ideally you want your new fans and visitors to stop by the gift shop so how 'bout a free hard copy w/ any purchase. Our "seasoned" fans over age ?? can have a free copy. We love our troops, active service people:free copy!

If you don't meet any of those criteria and the buck or two for a program is still too steep, you can always start a conversation w/ your neighbor. That's still free... unless they're a lawyer.

Everybody have a great weekend!
Last edited by JarrettFarms73; 6/27/14 at 12:21 AM.

2 members like this post: oppweld, The Riz
6/27/14, 2:04 AM   #30
Flatrightrear

If a track can't afford or take a little time to print a drivers list then maybe they're in the wrong business. Add a buck to admission, tell people a drivers list is included in the admission price and give it to them when they buy their tickets and everybody's happy. Forget going online and all that junk. Not everybody has all the tech toys, including me, so keep it simple. I repeat, patrons shouldn't have to go to a trailer in the parking lot for a drivers list. Do you have to do that at other sporting events? No, you don't but they're often times your competition for the entertainment dollar. And maybe that trailer is parked at just one side of a speedway all night so the people on the opposite side never see the trailer like at Tri-State unless they hike over there which is not much fun with a couple of little ones.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Sprint week driver roster??