IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Micro 101
6/17/14, 7:58 PM   #1
Micro 101
SWScaleChassis

Hello,

Looking for some general information on Micro/Mini/Lightning sprints. Basically, I'm looking for details for the most common, run of the mill car. Engine type, size builders. I know that theres generally a 250, 600, and 1000 classes. Do the chassis builders differ? Do the cars themselves (besides engine) differ with the different classes?

Feel free to educate. Im just trying to gain some insight on whats most common and readily available.

Thanks!

-Justin

6/17/14, 8:02 PM   #2
thebus79h

Start off with where you live. In Indiana 270s don't exist. That's Pennsylvania stuff.

6/17/14, 11:54 PM   #3
Re: Micro 101
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebus79h View Post
Start off with where you live. In Indiana 270s don't exist. That's Pennsylvania stuff.
SW

Like the old card game. "GO GOOGLE" that should keep you busy for a week or two. If you get around here someday come on out to a race.

Honest Dad himself

6/18/14, 9:33 AM   #4
DAD

Justin

I just did a Google search. You are a chassis builder!! Those things are neat. Where do the engines come from. You already have a mini sprint frame that would be a Midget with 1/8" smaller top rail. Some guys are starting to use the midget frame as it comes on a few cars now.

The Micro or modified or sidewinder chassis is an animal onto itself, quite complicated as opposed to a midget frame.

http://www.southwestscalechassis.com/

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 6/18/14 at 11:32 AM.

2 members like this post: jcracing96, SWScaleChassis
6/18/14, 9:47 PM   #5
SWScaleChassis

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAD View Post
Justin

I just did a Google search. You are a chassis builder!! Those things are neat. Where do the engines come from. You already have a mini sprint frame that would be a Midget with 1/8" smaller top rail. Some guys are starting to use the midget frame as it comes on a few cars now.

The Micro or modified or sidewinder chassis is an animal onto itself, quite complicated as opposed to a midget frame.

http://www.southwestscalechassis.com/

Honest Dad himself
*DISCLAIMER* Not a full size chassis builder. Scale Models.. I'm not here to put Maxim outta business.

But in short, I'm just looking for some basic information that I can draw up my own chassis for a micro to build in either 25th or 18th scale. Google helps, but its a lot of homework.. I'd rather build then sit behind the screen.. lol

All the sprint cars I build I can match any name chassis available provided enough pictures. I do offer a midget, and can make the Keith Kunz Bullet style, Spike and Triple X vairants.

But as far as micros go, I'm pretty clueless on a general outline, and I dont want to make up a jig and offer a chassis that only matches 1 car, at all times. I want it to be versitile enough to make changes per order, or get the basic look close enough for the buyer to be happy.

Speaking on the engines, those come from any 25th scale Sprint Car kit. Hell, all I use from the kits anymore are the engine and quick-change center section. Everything else is ordered from various aftermarket resources (brass, resin, etc) or I build it myself.. Thanks for looking, and thanks for the info.

-Justin

6/19/14, 9:08 AM   #6
DAD

Justin

I would contact a few chassis builders directly. Most would be tickled to death for a scale model for their desk. Some of the info is proprietary and they would probably like to hold on to it but basic design and dimensions might be available. The other idea would be visit a track where they are racing and take your tape measure and note book and make yourself a pain in the butt for someone.

Honest Dad himself

1 member likes this post: SWScaleChassis
6/19/14, 6:00 PM   #7
Mbarnes72

Like has been said depends on the part of the country you're in but I would have to think these days the 600's are the most plentiful. West of the river contact Sawyer chassis when they get back on Monday and East try Hyper chassis. Both of these companies have been building cars long enough to have a lot of their cars around and generate the most interest in yours. I am sure there are several more out there that might help too.

6/26/14, 9:10 PM   #8
SWScaleChassis

Triple X and Hyper were very kind and easy to talk to and passed along all numbers that I asked for, and helped with any questions I had.

Cool guys and interesting cars.. REAL popular.

Any by my numbers a Micro in 18th scale is just a LITTLE bigger than a Sprint in 25th. hahaha

1 member likes this post: DAD
6/27/14, 6:54 AM   #9
DAD

Justin

If you do the math and I guess you do a Midget or Upright Mini Sprint are 3/4 Sprint cars. Since they don't have 3/4 drivers the cockpits are a little out of scale.

Honest Dad himself

1 member likes this post: SWScaleChassis
6/27/14, 11:54 AM   #10
SWScaleChassis

It seems that the cockpits are the same 'size' across the board. Drivers dont change size. Its just kinda weird to wrap my head around a car with a 61 inch wheelbase vs 88. Matter of fact, with my numbers, the micro length from rack to rack, is stil within the sprint wheelbase in 18th scale.

Definately a change of pace.
Last edited by SWScaleChassis; 6/27/14 at 11:57 AM. Reason: spelling

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Micro 101