IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Caliper Mount- Older Winters?
4/18/14, 10:29 AM   #1
Caliper Mount- Older Winters?
JoriHughes

Race Count This Year: 12
Race Count Last Year: 35

I have an older Winters rear end and the Caliper mount that came bolted on the Side Bell doesn't really match up at all for my 3.5" Wilwood Caliper. I have attached the photo of the rear end and mount, but what wondering what caliper would have been mounted on there (the mounting holes on that mount are 5.75" center to center) and if I would be able to buy a mount for that style side bell to mount my 3.5" caliper?
Attached Images
winters1.JPG (44.1 KB, 80 views)

4/18/14, 11:26 AM   #2
Re: Caliper Mount- Older Winters?
TQ29m

The sprint car rear end mounts are like what you have, and the midget mounts are what has been on the after market mount, I've seen after market mounts for the sprint car bolt pattern, but don't remember where now. Midget, sprint car, the caliper doesn't know the difference, just round up one for a midget and bolt it on. A lot of midget rears have the original mount bosses broken off, lack of maintenance on the rear end causes this, they need to be kept tight, really tight, ck out a new one sometime, and see how hard it is to roll the axle, has to be that way because the magnesium expands so much. Bob!

4/20/14, 10:01 AM   #3
hoosiers47404

Just drill a hole in that mount so caliper will work

4/20/14, 5:46 PM   #4
TQ29m

Don't think the spacing is the same, to the rotor, from the mount, besides, if you just drilled one hole, it would put the caliper either behind, or ahead of the rotor, which could get interesting, I'd just pick up a midget caliper, and know it would work. Bob

4/20/14, 8:12 PM   #5
JoriHughes

Race Count This Year: 12
Race Count Last Year: 35

Here's a better view of what it would look like even if the mounting holes were the right spacing for a Sprint caliper. As you can see it sits up too high. If it even sat down low enough for the rotor it would be way too close to the side bell also. I think my best bet is to just buy a midget caliper and hopefully it works for me. Thanks for the help.
Attached Images
image.jpg (1.40 MB, 67 views)
Last edited by JoriHughes; 4/20/14 at 8:19 PM.

4/23/14, 6:48 AM   #6
wobbler

What is the measurement of the bolt centers that the mount is bolted to the diff with??? I am betting they will be 5.25"? If so the easiest and best option would be to get rid if the bracket and change caliper to a Sprint/ midget 4 piston caliper with 5.25" bolt spacing. They are a dime a dozen.

4/25/14, 10:34 AM   #7
racrguy

Whenever I've seen a caliper that mounted to the side bell bolts like that there have always been bolts that go through the body of the caliper, not the flags like how you've got it mounted.

4/25/14, 11:15 AM   #8
TQ29m

What he is showing here, is that if he tried to use a sprint car caliper, on the mount that is on the rear end, where it would end up, the bracket he has will work just like it was made for, with a midget caliper, and I think that is what he's going to do, I found another one on Ebay, mounted the same way, but using the intended caliper, evidently the older housings were prone to break the bosses off the side bell, much like the midget rears do, I make a bracket out of steel, that mounts to 4 of the side bell bolts, and lets me mount the caliper off that, rather than the side bell, works great. Bob

4/30/14, 1:52 PM   #9
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoriHughes View Post
I have an older Winters rear end and the Caliper mount that came bolted on the Side Bell doesn't really match up at all for my 3.5" Wilwood Caliper. I have attached the photo of the rear end and mount, but what wondering what caliper would have been mounted on there (the mounting holes on that mount are 5.75" center to center) and if I would be able to buy a mount for that style side bell to mount my 3.5" caliper?
This is the mount used for the old JFZ calipers which bolted through the caliper, using the same bolts that bolted the caliper halves together. Since there are no caliper mounts on the side bell you're going to have to either make or procure a mount to use your caliper.

Tim Simmons

4/30/14, 2:42 PM   #10
TQ29m

He has the mount, and probably a midget caliper by now! Bob

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Caliper Mount- Older Winters?