IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Sprint Car Tire Balancing
2/11/14, 11:32 PM   #1
Sprint Car Tire Balancing
rcf123

I borrowed a friends balancer to balance a few tires and I am wondering how much weight it typically takes to get a tire and wheel balanced? Some of these tires and wheels are taking up to 4.5oz of weight to get them balanced and I am wanted to know if this was normal. I have tried the same tires on different rims and its the same thing so the wheel are definitely not the problem. If you could provide a range of weights it would be helpful. Thanks in advance for your help.

2/12/14, 11:14 AM   #2
Re: Sprint Car Tire Balancing
TQ29m

JMHO, but if you are running dirt, I wouldn't worry about it, they will get dirt in them anyway, and be bad outa balance, mount em up! Pavement might be a different story, but I really doubt it, unles you're running Indy or some place! Bob

1 member likes this post: DAD
2/12/14, 1:53 PM   #3
Tony74

Not sure on a min/max range of weight but you will be happy with balanced tires, especially if you are running a faster track. It is well worth the time... your teeth will thank you

1 member likes this post: koolaid89
2/12/14, 7:29 PM   #4
darnall

On a hardpack dryslick track balanced rear wheels/tires help the car hook up better... minimizes tire shake and keeps em planted a bit more consistently... it takes a pretty good driver to actually feel the difference but there is a difference albeit a slight one.

2/12/14, 8:12 PM   #5
diana

what kind of balancer did you use and how do you attach the weights

2/13/14, 1:01 AM   #6
sprntr

Quote:
Originally Posted by diana View Post
what kind of balancer did you use and how do you attach the weights
We used a Bubble Balancer (http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...4379_200514379)
when I worked on Nix's Silver Crown car.

And these weights: http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...eyword=+300360

We covered the weights with duct tape for insurance.

Watch for interference between weights & brake caliper!

steiny

2/13/14, 6:20 PM   #7
rcf123

Sprntr thanks for the reply. How much weight did you have to add to the rear tires and wheels? I am using an HRP spin balancer but that shouldn't make any difference.

2/13/14, 6:52 PM   #8
sprntr

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcf123 View Post
Sprntr thanks for the reply. How much weight did you have to add to the rear tires and wheels? I am using an HRP spin balancer but that shouldn't make any difference.
Sometimes 6-7 oz. Did have an American Racer 34.0/18.0-15GTW once that needed nothing, which was a surprise considering the size of that monster!

steiny

2/13/14, 7:06 PM   #9
TQ29m

I'd say considering the size of the tire, the fact it's a bias ply, the overlap that goes with that, there could be no way to measure, I ran a left front for seemed like years, so bad out, it'd almost would roll itself to the heavy side, but, it didn't seem to bother anything, unless that shock came loose. Bob!

2/17/14, 8:43 PM   #10
Go Fast

Race Count This Year: 3

I started balancing dirt tires after shaking the drivers teeth loose at Terre Haute. Balancing made a huge difference, not only there but the car was smoother at most other tracks. Right rears took anywhere from 3oz to 6 oz. Left rears took 2-3 oz. Fronts were usually about 2 oz. The bigger the tire diameter the more weight it takes because of the increased moment of inertia.

I never had a bad day, just some more challenging than others!

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Sprint Car Tire Balancing