Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Gas City Notes
4/19/08, 9:14 PM   #41
Re: Gas City Notes
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by big3131 View Post
I had talked to a Gas City official and he said that it was USAC that decided to put the sprint feature ahead--not the tracks. USAC is only worried about themselves and nobody else. I will also avoid going to their "functions''. Also, talking about how long it took the mod consi to run, how long did it take the sprint feature including the red flags and cautions? To be lined up and getting focused to race and then at the last minute being told that you were 'on hold' is disRESPECTful to a driver. The sprints weren't even lined up! If the modifieds had been able to qualify maybe there would not have been as many cautions. Thank you the the tracks who realize this. These modified drivers put as much time and money in their cars as the next driver. And we do have exciting races! Everyone is faithful to their own class as well it should be--But can't we all just get along and not put down each other?! Racing is racing!

And DM, this guy has been going to races for most of his life, watching his uncle race late models (almost 20 years and a track champion) and his great-uncle racing sprints. So the remarks about following his brother (who has 3 championships) and not a short track follower is untrue. And he doesn't just "follow" his brother, they are a TEAM.

The fact of the matter is, ITS A SUPPORT CLASS! EXPECT TO BE CRAPPED ON!

You have two choices. Move to a headliner class or stay home.

And technically a Mod is a STOCK CAR with a panhard bar, Rear steer and roof. No quick change, Torsion bars.

BTW, I have no problem with the mods, They are usually a great support class and sometimes can be a headliner.

Chuck, not trying to be mean, Just factual. Try being the bomber class, Hopefully you'll get your feature before curfew.

4/19/08, 9:37 PM   #42
Dirtfan

Race Count This Year: 51
Race Count Last Year: 57

Lots of interesting comments. My wife and I made the trip to Gas City last night,had a room for both nights, discounted might I add THANKS to Jiggs & I-69 Speedway. After today's cancellation, the motel so graciously refunded our money for tonight:thumb Super 8 comes highly recommended.
With this being said, would we have made the trip for a regular Friday Night show,probably not with Bloomington running also.It was a USAC two day show and thats what made it special, why I thought we 'had to go"
As others have noted, the crowd was "heavy", IMO this crowd would have been alot "lighter" without USAC.As others have said when the sprints were off the track, the stands were not as full and the lines at the concession stands and yes the bathroom were were long.
I guess if people, racers or fans, don't want to take the back seat to the Sprint Car races,maybe one should think about going. I have saw alot of good modified races, but for the most part when the sprints are done, I am outta wherever it is. Jusy my opinion.
It was great to meet Fishnman, and to see SHORTBUS, Paul, Danny Burton,Hoover and Jerry Shaw.:thumb

"Today is a Gift, Tomorrow is not Promised"

4/19/08, 9:53 PM   #43
lovindirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Nunn View Post
What a first post...

Someone get the hook
Hey thats racing, its like darn I should have won that one, or better luck next time. I seen a track run a limit on certain portions of the races before, in a way it sucked and on the other hand its a for sure good thing at times. But most would probably say well that wasn't fair, I was about to pass him , or my friends car almost won , but he got screwed with the time management thing. I just say roll with the punches and the heck with it. some get screwed and some don't, the street stock guys probably ***** about the Mods at times, and the thunder cars probably ***** about the street stocks at times.

Jeff:crying:

4/19/08, 9:59 PM   #44
AERO410SCJA

Race Count This Year: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiemidgetfan View Post
Funny looking-possibly. They still give the second best form of short track racing (behind midgets)
They run big block mud-busses down under:confused:

4/19/08, 10:09 PM   #45
racepix

Nothing wrong with mods or sprints, but the headliners probably paid for the ads and probably attracted the most people, so they should get to run their show. If it looks as though someone is going to be cancelled, it should be the support series. IMO.

4/20/08, 9:34 AM   #46
31bro

First off I would like to say this is not Craig. I was expressing my opinion about what I thought about USAC. It amazes that some of you people one day loves USAC and the next day you don't. I express how I feel and I am the "guy who doesn't have a clue about open wheel racing." I grew up at Haubstat and other southern tracks. All I am stating is we are not going to support USAC as a support class anymore. We have been burned too many times..... And for Mr. Mills I have purchased your videos for many years and I believe I have purchase my last one, for your comments on somebody you don't know. Next time you might think before you started bashing an individual.

Ryan Conyer

4/20/08, 9:40 AM   #47
Tim Watson

First off i know it was scheduled as a two day show with some guys even having to bust their butts to race at Winchester on Sunday but what ruffles my feathers is a great majority of the sprint teams packing up and or clearing out Friday night. I am only able to make about three trips a summer to see shows like this and i sure would like to walk the pits after the races and talk to some of the drivers. We stayed at the track all night and when they called Saturday's race we walked the pits about 2:00 Saturday afternoon and i made a joke saying that we seen as many cars in the pits then as we did Friday night after the races! :action-smiley-049:

4/20/08, 11:58 AM   #48
SHORTBUS

Race Count This Year: 35
Race Count Last Year: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31bro View Post
First off I would like to say this is not Craig. I was expressing my opinion about what I thought about USAC. It amazes that some of you people one day loves USAC and the next day you don't. I express how I feel and I am the "guy who doesn't have a clue about open wheel racing." I grew up at Haubstat and other southern tracks. All I am stating is we are not going to support USAC as a support class anymore. We have been burned too many times..... And for Mr. Mills I have purchased your videos for many years and I believe I have purchase my last one, for your comments on somebody you don't know. Next time you might think before you started bashing an individual.

Ryan Conyer
THE PART OF THIS BIG DEAL IS ( YOU DID NOT GET SCREWED OUT OF ANYTHING - YOU DID NOT GET RAINED OUT -YOU GOT TO RUN BUT A LITTLE BIT LATER - SO HOW WAS IT THAT YOUR WERE SCREWED )CRAIG IS REALLY AN ALRIGHT GUY.

4/20/08, 8:10 PM   #49
Tbird4vkcc
Inactive Member

you know what....this is a joke. This site is to talk about racin and the great one we got to see on Friday. Why do these posts eventually end up in one person being pissed about another? Especially when we're talking about which feature went first or last....I would like to see the sprints last, usually, but with all those damn modifies Friday, I liked it how it was. But I'm with you Deanie, but upset that it took so long for you to move on....say what you got to say, talk about the good competition, etc and then lets try and keep it to that....some good ole sprint car racing.

4/20/08, 9:08 PM   #50
Heromaker

[QUOTE=dfish;36023]

Bottom line is, people are put off by you.

I think that if you are right and people are out off by DM I bet it is the minority and not the majority. Keep that in mind with your ramblings.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Gas City Notes