IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Gas City Notes
4/19/08, 8:26 AM   #1
Gas City Notes
Dwight Clock

If the 47 car field at Gas City last night is indicative of what is in store for the rest of the year then USAC sprints will have a banner season. Kudos, too, to USAC and Jiggs for pushing back the 2nd modified B Main to get the sprint car feature on the track. Having the feature over at 10:25 after not starting the first heat until 8:05 showed great effort on the part of both USAC and Jiggs to keep the show moving. Two weeks in a row now we have seen a great charge from the back in the feature. Last week it was Steve Ott coming from 16th to 2nd. Last night Dave Darland came from 23rd to 5th. The non qualifiers race looked like a mini feature with Casey Shuman, Matt Westfall, Billy Puterbaugh, Brady Short, Matt Neely, Tracy Hines, Dakoda Armstrong, Brad Kuhn, Travis Welpott, and Critter Malone all missing the top 32 cut for the heats! Malone had a real rough night as he spun on both qualifying laps and couldn't transfer out of the NQ race to the heats. Another good showing for Joshua Clemons as he timed 24th quick and transferred to the Feature with his 3rd place finish in the 4th heat. No small feat making the main on this night. Forty-two modifieds on hand for the Wolfpack Challenge opener.

4/19/08, 9:03 AM   #2
Re: Gas City Notes
31bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight Clock View Post
If the 47 car field at Gas City last night is indicative of what is in store for the rest of the year then USAC sprints will have a banner season. Kudos, too, to USAC and Jiggs for pushing back the 2nd modified B Main to get the sprint car feature on the track. Having the feature over at 10:25 after not starting the first heat until 8:05 showed great effort on the part of both USAC and Jiggs to keep the show moving. Two weeks in a row now we have seen a great charge from the back in the feature. Last week it was Steve Ott coming from 16th to 2nd. Last night Dave Darland came from 23rd to 5th. The non qualifiers race looked like a mini feature with Casey Shuman, Matt Westfall, Billy Puterbaugh, Brady Short, Matt Neely, Tracy Hines, Dakoda Armstrong, Brad Kuhn, Travis Welpott, and Critter Malone all missing the top 32 cut for the heats! Malone had a real rough night as he spun on both qualifying laps and couldn't transfer out of the NQ race to the heats. Another good showing for Joshua Clemons as he timed 24th quick and transferred to the Feature with his 3rd place finish in the 4th heat. No small feat making the main on this night. Forty-two modifieds on hand for the Wolfpack Challenge opener.

First off, I do like to watch sprints, but what USAC did to the mods is bullSH!T. I felt like we were at Terre Haute again. Why would you run 1 mod consi and not the other, oh yeah it's USAC! Everytime we run with USAC the mods get screwed! IF you don't what a support class don't have one. So USAC has just got my last dollar. I will not go to another USAC race. I know you guys on this board really don't care about mods but we are racers just like USAC drivers. I really hope the Wolfpack Series keeps this in consideration when they make there schedule next year, NOT to run with USAC (U SUCK AT CLASS)!!!!

4/19/08, 9:22 AM   #3
Dwight Clock

I trust that you noticed the big crowd on hand last night. And I am sure also that you noticed about 3/4 of them get up and head to the concessions, restrooms, parking lot, and/or pits after the last sprint car heat. No offense against the modifieds but the vast majority of people were there to see USAC sprints. I know that you guys are racers just as much as the sprint car guys but pleasing the masses is what will keep Jiggs and all other promoters in business. You shouldn't take that personally. JMO.

4/19/08, 9:32 AM   #4
staggerman

I am sure the decision the to move the second modified b-main might have been due to it took about 25 minutes to run the first one. I would say if you have a beef with anyone it should be Jiggs not USAC.

4/19/08, 9:53 AM   #5
Chris Nunn

Race Count This Year: 20

Craig, we did the same thing at the Icebreaker with the Lucas Oil Series. We staggered our format around theirs. When you got the big shots in there, they tend to tell ya how things go. The promoter knew what was buttering their bread last night. Sucks it has to be that way.

4/19/08, 10:09 AM   #6
Millsvideo

To the guy complaining about "USAC" moving the second B-Main, I am pretty sure you will need to talk to Jiggs on that one...USAC doesn't decide the order of the program of a multi-division show. They may confer on it with the promoter, but they don't arbitrarily dictate it to him. Furthermore, if the modifieds hadn't made such a complete mess of their first semi, maybe they wouldn't have had to wait for their second one to run. Third, they need to realize their place in the show. They are an undercard, and not the headliner, and it is far more important to get the bulk of the crowd headed home as soon as possible.

Finally, I seriously doubt that this guy ever gives USAC any of his money, and only frequents races in which his brother his running. Because if he were a devout (or even casual) follower of short track racing, he would already know the things we have just told him, and he wouldn't be raising such a stink...Sir, you will get no sympathy from anyone here. Go watch your mutant taxi cabs and quit whining about your perceived injustice on an open wheel message board, please. Thank you.

DM

4/19/08, 10:12 AM   #7
smbpreformance

There should be time limits on heat races and semis. That would eliminate one division getting bumped because they can not figure out how to put green flag laps together

4/19/08, 10:18 AM   #8
Chris Nunn

Race Count This Year: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millsvideo View Post
Go watch your mutant taxi cabs and quit whining about your perceived injustice on an open wheel message board, please. Thank you.

DM
I agreed with everything you said, except that...that was a remark that probably could have been left out.

4/19/08, 10:24 AM   #9
Jerry Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31bro View Post
First off, I do like to watch sprints, but what USAC did to the mods is bullSH!T. I felt like we were at Terre Haute again. Why would you run 1 mod consi and not the other, oh yeah it's USAC! Everytime we run with USAC the mods get screwed! IF you don't what a support class don't have one. So USAC has just got my last dollar. I will not go to another USAC race. I know you guys on this board really don't care about mods but we are racers just like USAC drivers. I really hope the Wolfpack Series keeps this in consideration when they make there schedule next year, NOT to run with USAC (U SUCK AT CLASS)!!!!
95% of the people that were packed into that grandstand, came there to see USAC Sprints run. That's a fact. With weather in the area (radar showed rain in Kokomo, at the time) Jiggs made a decision that put him in the early lead for Promoter of the Year, IMO.

Jerry

Winston Churchill

4/19/08, 10:27 AM   #10
flywheel

we were there last night, and it seemed like the right decision after looking at our radar on our phone because it was coming

millsvideo, in a roundabout way you represent USAC. they may not pay you, but you are in charge of marketing their videos and DVD's what you said about other RACERS is BS at best. I am pretty sure if I called USAC and told them what their DVD salesman was saying about other people, Mr. Miller wouldnt be a happy camper

Good Day

James Barnett

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Gas City Notes