IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Birdcage Timing- (upright mini)
8/28/13, 9:55 AM   #1
Birdcage Timing- (upright mini)
racer8432955

Is timing done with car in the air on set up blocks?

Or, is timing done with car on ground? If on ground is it to be done with weight of driver, fuel, etc (race ready)?

I've been told both ways, so any clarification is appreciated. Thanks!

8/28/13, 11:24 AM   #2
Re: Birdcage Timing- (upright mini)
DAD

[QUOTE=racer8432955;349075]Is timing done with car in the air on set up blocks?

Or, is timing done with car on ground? If on ground is it to be done with weight of driver, fuel, etc (race ready)?

I've been told both ways, so any clarification is appreciated. Thanks![/QUOTE

We time bird cages on the stands with a set of ride height gauges I think 5" for us, varies from chassis to chassis. This is also when we adjust chain slack.

A better question would be, why do we have to time our bird cages?

Honest Dad himself

8/28/13, 11:45 AM   #3
Mulvaney

We start getting a basic set up on blocks and then get more precise with the car on level ground. No weight. Then I always like to keep track of my travel in the shocks and try to pull the chassis down on each corner to where it normally rides not the lowest but within a inch or so and make sure my bird cages are not getting negative. I like my to be a few degrees forward at the top on initial setup then when the weight and the travel of the car happens they are level.

Dad .... We do this so that the rear end stays square throughout travel correct?

8/28/13, 12:17 PM   #4
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulvaney View Post
We start getting a basic set up on blocks and then get more precise with the car on level ground. No weight. Then I always like to keep track of my travel in the shocks and try to pull the chassis down on each corner to where it normally rides not the lowest but within a inch or so and make sure my bird cages are not getting negative. I like my to be a few degrees forward at the top on initial setup then when the weight and the travel of the car happens they are level.

Dad .... We do this so that the rear end stays square throughout travel correct?
Nope:

8/28/13, 12:48 PM   #5
TQ29m

I know that if the driver gets outa time with the steering wheel, bad things can happen, and if I ain't at the table by a certain time, or outa bed at a certain time bad things do happen, but birdcages outa time, we usually try to have them facing each other, that way they can see when their home!!!! Bob

1 member likes this post: DAD
8/28/13, 1:05 PM   #6
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ29m View Post
I know that if the driver gets outa time with the steering wheel, bad things can happen, and if I ain't at the table by a certain time, or outa bed at a certain time bad things do happen, but birdcages outa time, we usually try to have them facing each other, that way they can see when their home!!!! Bob
We do the same thing we got a cockatoo and a cockatiel one just chirps all the time and the other one keeps saying "BUTTERCUP" the name of our old departed beagle.

Honest Dad himself

8/28/13, 2:00 PM   #7
TQ29m

Actually, I've tried mine a number of different ways, I am a firm believer in setting them with the weight of the car, and driver, if possible, but it won't/shouldn't change much with the driver in the seat, and it'll be close enough for horse shoes and hand grenades anyway. I used to run them tipped about a half a bubble to the front at the top, I think now, for the past few years, we've run them straight up, but, it does make a difference on where you're rear radius rods attach to the chassis, now that's an argument I like to avoid, most folks can't tell the difference any way, we used to have a gentleman who owned a car, and had usually the same driver, and I got to watching him, and as he got closer to the car, he was pulling out his slide rule/tape measure to the rest of you, and everytime, he'd measure the toe, and that was it, finally the fellow took him out behind the porta john, and that was the last time I ever saw him measure anything on the car, I guess he got "educated"! Bob

1 member likes this post: DaveP63
8/28/13, 6:14 PM   #8
Bradleyracing86

Four bar birdcages or Z link?

Posted via Mobile Device

8/28/13, 9:48 PM   #9
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradleyracing86 View Post

Posted via Mobile Device
You left out wish-bones. We have been running z links suspension on the rear for the last 15 years. On them for sure it is very important to get the bird cages clocked, to a lesser extent 4 bar designs and on wishbone who cares.

The object is every body worries about clocking bird cages and they don't know why they are doing it, or how to make it work in their favor.

A long time ago I took a 4 x 8 piece of plywood some yard sticks and measurements on my pick up points from my chassis and played for a whole weekend.

Honest Dad himself

8/28/13, 10:25 PM   #10
racer8432955

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradleyracing86 View Post

Posted via Mobile Device
4-bar

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Birdcage Timing- (upright mini)