IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Just run the race please.
8/25/13, 12:09 AM   #11
Re: Just run the race please.
racefan20

We were out before 11, cant see the issue here.

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus

8/25/13, 12:39 AM   #12
cwfan08

Race Count This Year: 17

I enjoyed everything tonight. They could have just worked the track and had the tractor and water truck out there and not done anything else..but they did the charity stuff, shaved stanbroughs mustache, and then in driver intros had each driver throw a shirt into the stands and if your driver won you got to get your picture taken and then the free passes into next years smack down..I think thats pretty cool..and out before 11 on a Saturday night..not to bad. Racing was fantastic!

Tyler

8/25/13, 12:57 AM   #13
trooper

I would take a long night of good Indiana racing anyday over a short night of crap racing on crap tracks here in Michigan...boy do we get the shaft on decent tracks, NOT ONE AROUND UP HERE!!
Really I have to drive 4-5hrs just to see a good race and the budget does not allow that often. Heck we were home tonight from my local track by 10pm. So if anyone wants to trade with me...

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Cel Cripe, dickster, Midget 89
8/25/13, 2:02 AM   #14
Half fast

Couldnt see the feature tonight because of squirrels in the stands

8/25/13, 3:00 AM   #15
Stevensville Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwfan08 View Post
....They could have just worked the track and had the tractor and water truck out there and not done anything else....

Tyler
No.... no. They put down enough water prior to the Feature Friday Night. Where I was sitting we were all glad they kept the water truck in the barn.

TommyBahama, I understand your angle. We've all been to tracks where the show just drags on..... and on...... and on. Try going to Butler Speedway for "Autograph Night". All the cars in all of the classes go out on the track. Then the fans can go see them and get autographs. Then they have to get the fans off of the track to start the Features.

We were at Cherry Raceway up by Traverse City for a SOD event years ago and they overwatered the track (ironic - last night). Almost a two hour delay before they ran the FIRST heat. They had, like...... four classes of cars running with SOD. At about a little past midnight, the first Feature was FINALLY over. The track announcer then comes out on the track and interviews the Top 3! This is for a four banger class! Fans were clutching their chests in disbelief. I had a three hour drive to get home and I think I made it by mid-week.

But for the Smackdown, and big events as such...... man, you have to expect the interviews, glitz, and glamour. Like if you go to the King's Royal or Knoxville Nats - you know you are not going to get out of there for awhile. I thought it was cool. A little extra time watching the show tonight was okay with me. This wasn't Cherry Raceway. This was a big event. Big events draw big fans and those big fans take away big memories.

Take home the good ones. Tomorrow is another day and another race. We've all been frustrated before. Everyone made it out the track safely tonight.

8/25/13, 8:26 AM   #16
cecil98

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeserx View Post
It's the biggest race of the year!! Why complain??

Posted via Mobile Device
I don't see it as complaining. I, also, get very frustrated with all of the screwing around some tracks do. Example, at Lawrenceburg a couple of Saturdays ago, they took about a 45min break to do the redraw for the top starting positions in the feature for 4 classes of cars. I know the promotor needs to break the action for a while to sell some product and give the crews a chance to get the cars ready for the feature but, the redraw is way too long and only involves a few kids drawing the numbers for the drivers. BTW this is a forum where members are invited to express their opinions. If someone has a complaint, let them voice it. If you don't like that kind of read, move on to the next post. Very simple. Maybe we should have a rule on here that one isn't allowed to complain about complaints???

8/25/13, 9:30 AM   #17
Tumey's 55

No rules needed. However when you nitpick after a great night of racing I think you should expect some flak to come your way. You expressed your opinion, others disagreed and expressed theirs. I enjoyed every minute, this was a special show and everything was done to try and make it special. I'm glad you drove the 3 hours to be part of a great night of racing but if you expected the show to be completed by 9:30, like many normal Sunday nights, you were deluding yourself.

BTW, if my memory is correct shaving the mustache in front of the crowd raised an additional $500 for a good cause.

Posted via Mobile Device

8/25/13, 9:40 AM   #18
Jonr

I am also one of the fans that hate drivers intros. I would rather just start the show earlier. However, I would rather watch driver intros than watching a pill draw on the front stretch. Pill draws should be done at the pit shack. Nothing entertaining about it.

Posted via Mobile Device

3 members like this post: FishBurger, robert gatten, spicoli
8/25/13, 9:42 AM   #19
ThePurple73

Tommy Bahama has a point track operators should take under consideration. I am sure he is as much a fan as anyone.
I have flown, traveled long distances to see and participate in racing events. But in the last few years the delays and intermissions have become plain silly in my book. There are some tracks we have decided to omit, some tracks we had attended for years. Some events last 6-7 hours, with hot laps, support classes intermissions, and the races. If a fan is going to sit that long for the prices paid, facilities need to reflect the price and support the time spent.

What I have noticed as a change the last 4-5 years is the number of people going after quantities of beer between heats and b and the intermission for the feature.
I am not against beer at all, but most of these tracks don't have the facilities for people to get in and out multiple times with out spilling and being a nuisance to others. I guess in past times a person didn't have time to go get beer after beer, but it seems that concept is more accommodated now. Some fans carry enough beer each trip to support the price of admission so, the concept is surely profitable for operators.

I love sprint car racing for the excitement and the sport, like Tommy Bahama, I want to see a well run, well announced, safe, sprint car race.

If I wanted to go eat and drink every 10 minutes, I would probably do something other than go to a race.

1 member likes this post: racenut69
8/25/13, 10:21 AM   #20
racenut69

The younger generation just goes to the races to get sloshed and be ignorant....Case in point,The World 100 and the Dream at Eldora along with some of the Open-Wheel Shows.Like the old joke: I went to the Bar and a Race Broke out....

1 member likes this post: REALDEAL
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Just run the race please.